PDA

View Full Version : Marines run the bases in Iraq

thedrifter
07-05-05, 05:20 AM
Marines run the bases in Iraq
Submitted by: 2nd Force Service Support Group
Story Identification #: 20057410359
Story by Cpl. C. J. Yard

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (July 4, 2005) -- The Marines of Headquarters and Service Battalion, 2d Force Service Support Group (Forward), have found a way to relax, competitively.

Morale, Welfare and Recreation aboard Camp Taqaddum formed a softball league for the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen to play and take a break from their daily tasks. The 18 teams are each scheduled to play 17 games.

“The Marines play when they have time,” said 1st Sgt. Mary M. Fisk, Headquarters Company first sergeant, H & S Bn. “They all know work comes first though, so we don’t always have the same players every game.”

Though the team, named “The Mafia,” doesn’t have the same players from game to game, the one thing they all enjoy is the camaraderie they gain with each game.

“The camaraderie, to me, is the biggest benefit to being part of the team,” said Fisk, team coach and Oakland Borough, Susquehanna, Pa., native. “Everyone brings a little something different to the team, whether it be experience, knowledge or, the big one for us, humor. You’ve got to have a sense of humor playing on our team, no question. I’ve gotten to know several Marines in the [FSSG] and across the camp much better since being associated with the team that I probably wouldn’t have, and you can’t put a price tag on that. ”

The team does not just get together for games; they conduct practices as well, which helps them play together as a team.

“Many of our players have played softball quite a bit before; they are very happy to have the opportunity to play here,” said Fisk. “Our team has really come together to play well together, and we all get along great.”

As the coach, Fisk uses the knowledge all the players bring to the team.

“I’ve never coached before and I don’t know the finer points of the game like a lot of our players, so I rely on every player to help the team out with batting, fielding, strategy and rules,” said Fisk.

For Cpl. Janet Fuentes, the property noncommissioned officer for Headquarters Co., the chance to play softball helps with the mental side of being deployed to Iraq.

“It’s a good stress reliever and something fun to do,” said the Chicago native. “Playing softball helps take you mind off the fact that you are deployed and away from your family.”

Not only is playing softball fun for the Marines on the team, but it is also fun for the fans who come to watch the team play.

“I think it’s awesome,” said Sgt. Maj. Suzanne R. How, H & S Bn. sergeant major and Omaha, Neb., native. “Being able to play softball out here gives everybody something to look forward to. You can either play or come out and cheer for the team. Either way it is a win-win situation for everybody. This is a great way to help build unit camaraderie; it brings everybody together and allows the Marines to get to know each other.”

The team has had its ups and downs thus far into the season, but according to Fisk has never quit when the game was not going The Mafia’s way.

“I’ve never seen the team give up,” said Fisk. “I love to watch them keep their heads in a tough game when we’re behind and fight back to win. even when we’ve been down by a dozen runs. That is great to watch. I don’t know if I could say there’s a best part to being the ‘coach.’ If I had to make a list, number one would definitely be the camaraderie we’ve all enjoyed. You can’t beat it.”

Ellie