PDA

View Full Version : Five Friends Prepare to Serve Their Country

thedrifter
07-05-05, 05:18 AM
Five Friends Prepare to Serve Their Country

Five best buddies are about to embark on the biggest undertaking of their young lives. All have joined the Marines.

The young men, Ryan Adair, Nick Davison, Nick Reineke, Jose Sachez and Dave Volk all attended Granite Bay High School in Granite Bay in Placer County. They’re all 18 years old and they’re all headed to Marine boot camp at Camp Pendleton on July 18. The quintet joined as part of the Marines' "Buddy Program. They wouldn’t have it any other way. "I wouldn’t want to serve next to anybody else besides these guys," said Reineke.

Even though they’ve enlisted for slightly different reasons – pride, a desire to protect freedoms, giving back to their country - they all say September 11, 2001, prompted their decision. "You know, the loss of innocence," said Reineke. "I was a freshman when it happened and saw the United States is vulnerable and the military is valuable and there are people who don't want us to have what we have. That's the first time it really hit me I should join the military."

The soon-to-be Marines haven’t even left yet and they’re already walking a little taller, said Volk. "People have been thanking us and we’re not even Marines yet," he said. "That’s pretty powerful to hear."

The five expect to go through whatever the next four years brings together. It's how they’ve spent the past four years. "So we can all pick each other up when we fall," said Davison.

The young men know there could be difficult times ahead, but they're also looking forward to the opportunities. Davison has his sights set on piloting a helicopter. Adair and Reineke want to become firefighters. Sachez and Volk are undecided.

Ellie