PDA

View Full Version : Marines write of patriotism, duty

thedrifter
07-04-05, 07:39 AM
Posted on Mon, Jul. 04, 2005
JIM CARNEY
Ohio Dot Com
Marines write of patriotism, duty

Here's how the members of Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division responded when asked to describe one experience in Iraq that illustrates the meaning of being an American:

Maj. Steven White, 34, Akron, inspector-instructor:

The battalion was conducting Operation New Market in the city of Hadithah.

The command post was set up in a technical school in town.

One of our units was heavily engaged with the enemy and we had just received incoming mortar rounds.

As I was talking to the commander on the radio, I was surrounded by the epitome of America. The aircraft was being controlled by a pharmaceutical rep, the fire support was being run by a schoolteacher, the radios run by college kids and the battalion by an executive from a local shipping company.

Besides just being Marines, these men are full-time civilians who contribute to the growth of our nation.

Being an active-duty Marine, I expect to go to foreign lands and fight wars. The remainder of the Marines around me volunteered to be here.

Many were concerned they would not get the chance to reach Iraq.

They are great Americans in a foreign land fighting tyranny.

I was honored to be in a room full of such great people focused on serving their country.

Now that is America.

1st Sgt. William T. Sowers, 34, Cuyahoga Falls, inspector-instructor:

A wounded or dead Marine or corpsman is never left behind.

Marines will go through great lengths to recover their fallen friends, leaving no one behind for the enemy.

The selfless act of going into harm's way to get your buddy out -- that is what being a Marine is all about.

Fighting alongside these brave young Americans is a great honor that so few have experienced, or ever will.

Like the Marines and great Americans that have gone before us, they have shown us how to be great Americans.... I have no doubt that these young men will return home with an experience that will forever change the way they celebrate any holiday, especially the Fourth of July.

Cpl. Nate J. Ickes, 25, Akron, Tallmadge police officer:

Having a fellow brother, friend, Marine who has died for our county truly illustrates what it means to be an American and defines true heroism of today's world: the one who makes the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

Cpl. Matthew D. Brooks, 26, Tallmadge, active-duty Marine:

As Americans, we tend to overlook the comforts that we have back at home, and after experiencing my brothers and me being overworked, underpaid, shot at and blown up, these comforts have a different meaning to me today.

I think everyone should have to experience the hell that we live in just so that those comforts you enjoy would have a different meaning to you today.

Cpl. Jason M. Ross, 21, Akron, construction worker:

There are times over here when your stress and emotions are at an all-time high.

You cannot agree and you argue with fellow Marines from time to time, but when the time comes, everyone swallows their pride and pulls together... Just like in America, everyone does not always see eye to eye, but when hardships come about, most everyone pulls together as a team to push through.

Just like my fellow Americans did on 9/11. Being civil service or not, everyone who was willing to help, helped!

Lance Cpl. Brett A. Dinkelman, 25, Stow, Sterling Jewelers employee:

A personal experience while in Iraq has been knowing that at any time or place we may be called on to make the ultimate sacrifice and that unselfish act is one of a true American.

May we never forget!

Lance Cpl. Matthew Wojtecki, 22, Mantua, Kent State student:

Being brave and courageous in the face of danger and possibly death to protect and save lives of the Iraqi people, just like that day in September.

Those Americans bravely overcame all odds. Those firefighters and police who saved lives did so knowingly.

They could have just sat by and watched everything as it happened, but chose to courageously act on those values that all of us have as Americans.

And what we could do for our country, knowing when we go out on a mission or a patrol that some of us may not come back, is hard to deal with at times.

But being brave, I think, illustrates being an American in Iraq.

Sgt. Matthew B. Bee, 26, Akron, recent University of Akron grad:

As firefights sporadically erupted around the urban settings, we took up a hasty position outside a hospital.

With the local population frightened of the faceless enemy and apprehensive of their determined allies, they sought safety and shelter in areas that were off-limits to the feuding parties in the streets.

Here, surrounded by hopelessness and despair... I witnessed an experience that most illustrated what it was to be an American.

How could I expect to live up to the tattered image of an American under these conditions?

Then like a descending angel a man approached and appeared before me.

He was a doctor from the hospital. His lab coat was flawlessly clean and his expression sincere, and it provided a peculiar contrast to the chaotic background that surrounded him. His voice was soft but firm as he proceeded to illustrate to me his responsibility to the community in which he worked and which he dutifully represented.

This man -- an academic, a professional, a humanitarian -- felt an unidentifiable connection to me, and explained that certain water, electric and other civic concerns for the hospital required urgent attention that we might be unaware of.

Why did he approach me? Why at that moment?

I realized, though, as an American, the responsibility that I had to undertake. I must show the compassion of a nation through my actions. I must hold his concerns along with my own, because my shoulders, regardless of the existing weight, appeared sturdy enough to this precious civil servant.

I most felt like an American then.

Responsible, compassionate, and persevering. A friend to whoever needs my assistance.

With powers beyond either of our controls, we rose above the unrelenting situation as individuals, and with unrestricted freedom came to each other's aid.

As the problem at hand was being resolved... the doctor and I had a moment to share some invaluable conversation.

In response to Iraq's present situation of duality, he responded to me:

``It is like the Iraqi people have swallowed a razor, in which, regardless of how we get rid of it, there will be pain'' -- Dr. Najmadeen.

I hope I comforted this man of strength and I pray he interpreted my sincere empathy as a universal characteristic found among all my compassionate countrymen.

Lance Cpl. Daniel Nathan Deyarmin Jr., 21, Tallmadge, diesel mechanic:

The free will to be over here and help each other is one of the hardest things in one's life and still being able to put our best effort to make the best of every situation we encounter.

That's what we as Americans do. We make the best out of everything.

Semper Fi.

Ellie