PDA

View Full Version : A thank-you note from a U.S. Marine:

thedrifter
07-03-05, 05:06 AM
Los Angeles Daily News
EAFB Marine offers his thanks
Saturday, July 02, 2005
A thank-you note from a U.S. Marine:

While in the midst of an Iraqi deployment, it is a luxury to have some time to reflect. Many Marines and soldiers are currently more directly engaged in the war on terrorism here and aren't afforded this luxury.

I am a helicopter pilot who finds himself on a more secure American base, not as immediately concerned with having to protect our squadron or our fellow Marines on a daily basis.

Therefore, this thank-you note comes from all of us, many of whom aren't afforded the time to ponder the amount of support we have received and continue to receive from the Americans we represent.

I have been very fortunate. Here in the middle of this oftentimes windy, dusty and oppressively hot country, my family, friends and even total strangers have been very thoughtful and have sent me so many things from home that let me know that I am loved.

Packages stuffed with trail mix, home-baked cookies, books, newspapers, magazines and, yes, even baby wipes brighten up even the longest of days.

The thoughtfulness is overwhelming and I have been deeply touched by the prayers, kind thoughts and support that I have received during my time here. There always seems to be a thank-you note of some sort at the bottom of each box I open.

But it doesn't stop there. The love and support is also evident in the media. Although the media's reports are as mixed as the varied opinions that all Americans hold in regards to why we are here in Iraq, the overriding theme I have sensed is one of support.

Thank-you letters and banners from elementary school classes, VFWs, Marine Leagues and other groups from the United States routinely find their way to our squadron. The overall majority of "blog" sites and messages found on the Internet also send a resounding message of thanks to our service members over here.

Being on the receiving end of all the thanks and praise for our overseas efforts is a humbling experience.

A great part of me is happy to have the opportunity to help and make a difference, to provide some stability as this country struggles with the challenges of developing a strong and effective government and to be able to look my children in the eye one day, discussing the importance of making sacrifices for the greater good of our beloved country and way of life.

Another part of me longs for the day when I'll be able to hold my loved ones once again.

In considering all of those expressing their appreciation for our service in foreign lands, I could not remember ever seeing any publicized messages from those of us whose honor it is to serve.

There are many American citizens who will never hear the gratitude that we as servicemen and women hold in our hearts for all the support we consistently receive and have received throughout our lives.

It is only fitting that those who remain back within American borders recognize that their contributions are extremely important, no matter if they have directly offered their support recently, and ultimately, no matter what their personal views are regarding our presence here.

Lt. Col Brian Josten
Al Asad, Iraq
June 26, 2005

Josten is serving with HMM-764, a Marine Reserve helicopter squadron normally based at Edwards Air Force Base.

Ellie