View Full Version : 'God & Country' draws big crowd

thedrifter
07-02-05, 11:14 AM
Indiana church honors flag, soldiers
'God & Country' draws big crowd
By Marcus Wohlsen
mwohlsen@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

For Marine Cpl. Jeremy Kelley, 29, serving God goes hand in hand with serving in the military.

Back from six months in southern Iraq, Kelley, a 25-year member of New Albany's Graceland Baptist Church, marched the Marine Corps flag down the center aisle at yesterday's "God & Country Sunday" service, the church's annual red-white-and-blue salute to members of the military serving overseas.

Combat, Kelley said, has fortified his Christianity.

"Your faith is actually strengthened by that experience by your reliance on God and His protection," he said.

Several local officials, including U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel, R-9th District, turned out for the service, which paid special tribute to the 1st Battalion of the 151st Infantry Regiment, an Indiana National Guard unit based in New Albany.

Members of the 151st began returning to Indiana last week after a yearlong deployment in Afghanistan.

Worshippers crammed Graceland Baptist's 2,000-seat sanctuary for the multimedia extravaganza.

A choir in shimmering robes, backed by an orchestra, sang anthems praising the United States, the flag and the military. Videos shown on an overhead screen featured testimonials on the importance of the flag and the Pledge of Allegiance.

New Albany Mayor James Garner led the congregation in an opening prayer. Then members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines took the American flag to the front of the church.

Though several members of the military on active duty were present for the service, the flag took center stage.

Sodrel, wearing an American-flag tie, told the congregation that the House passed a constitutional amendment last week that would ban the desecration of the flag. He received a standing ovation.

"It's not a demonstration of liberty to desecrate our flag," Sodrel said. "It's an attack on liberty."

Sodrel himself served in the 151st from 1968 to 1973.

Though only a few members of Graceland Baptist serve in the 151st, the church has become deeply involved in supporting the unit's soldiers and their families, church spokeswoman Jan Whittenberg said.

The church also has collected more than $20,000 in donations for shoes, medical supplies and shelter for Afghan refugees being helped by the 151st, she said.

The next group of soldiers from the 151st is set to return to Indianapolis on July 4.

After the 9 a.m. service, Army Spc. David Lanoue, 21, received handshakes and "thank you's" from departing worshippers.

Lanoue, of Memphis, Ind., came back from Iraq for his sister's wedding, which was Saturday. He will return to duty in a week, doing maintenance on Apache helicopters in Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's hometown.

Lanoue said "God & Country Sunday" will keep him motivated back in Iraq.

"It's awesome. It was really cool," he said. "It's an experience I won't forget."

Ellie

eddief
07-02-05, 01:56 PM
"Sodrel, wearing an American-flag tie, told the congregation that the House passed a constitutional amendment last week that would ban the desecration of the flag. He received a standing ovation."

The dumb SOB desecrated the flag by turning it into a necktie.

Joseph P Carey
07-02-05, 10:43 PM
Eddie F,

For the record, I do not think that the tie started out as an American flag, but rather an effigy of it (An artist's depiction of an American Flag), and if I remember correctly, there is no crime in shooting or burning or disgracing an effigy. It is like the burning of George Bush in effigy! It is not a crime! But, to pull George Bush out of his office and burn him would be a crime. The same goes for the flag!

I am no holy roller, but I once took an oath to defend the Constitution of the US of A. I have never changed my mind about defending that Constitution, and I never revoked my oath to defend the Constitution!

I promised to defend Athiests, Catholics, Protesents, Jews, Muslims, and the people that just don't give a damn what religion you are, and just don't go to church on Sunday, or Saturdays, or any other day of the week. I don't care if they beleive in Allah, or Jehova, or the Sun God, or the Son of God. It makes no difference to me. But, in return for this protection of these individuals and groups, I expect them to Honor the Constitution that protects them and their beleif, and all that goes with it. Including, but not limited to, the defense of this great nation.