<br />
Moms tell recruiters: ‘Leave My Child Alone!’ <br />
Author: Tim Wheeler <br />
People's Weekly World Newspaper, 06/30/05 09:52 <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON — Megan Watson, leader of...

Joseph P Carey
07-02-05, 11:06 AM
Actually, I went to this site and I registered a complaint with it in the Contact section, but most importantly, I found out who it was that was backing the site. It has nothing to do with mothers worried that the government has their child's imformation, it has to do with these organizations: Ella Baker Center; True Majority; Code Pink; MilitaryFreeZone.org; Peace Action; Student Peace Action; WAND: Women's Action; for New Directions; WiLL: Women's Legislative Lobby; Sojourners; American Friends Service Committee; Latinos for America; Veterans for Peace; Grandmothers for Peace; Fellowship of Reconciliation. The message is one of anti-Bush anything, and Pro Retreat!

If you want to do something about this go to their web site and fill in a brief statement of your concerns on their contact board. Let us use their tactic, and fill their line with hundreds of contacts in opposition to their organization.

marinemom
07-02-05, 11:34 AM
Dear Megan Watson -

I agree - with your attitude towards those who military service allows you to demonstrate your arrogance and stupidity - PLEASE do not let the military take your kid.

I beleive that induction would not be conducive to unit cohesion and morale.

But remember, one of the reasons that you are able to demonstrate, set up that ridiculous web site and in general be a royal pain in the a** is that MY kid volunteered for the Corps and stands on that wall 24/7 for you.

In the words of Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men", I'd just rather you said thank you.

KingDonkeyPunch
07-02-05, 11:39 AM
I did that already as well. I sent them a rather friendly email stating that I was never pressured, I bugged him untill I could sign. I wasn't a bad student, I graduated with honors. What can you do though? They were given the freedom of speech at birth, and I ensure that they have it untill they die. You're welcome by the way, for that.

Ed Palmer
07-02-05, 02:11 PM
Well heres a crew that their Mommies are proud of as Young Marines
From Tornado Alley at the Sams Club in wichita Ks.
When we pulled up to take their picture they all snapped just like you and I did thoese many years ago.
I could only get 2 shots while the traffic backed up,so thats what we settled for.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/IM000307.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/IM000306.jpg

LivinSoFree
07-02-05, 02:54 PM
Just got involved volunteering with a local Young Marines unit here at home... it looks to be a great experience... the kids really motivate the h*ll out of me.

JrJarhead5812
10-26-05, 02:39 PM
LCpl. Meyer,

The reason we motivate you is because you motivate us. For me, the louder you are, the more motivated I get. If you and the other DI's wern't so motivated, just imagine how crappy we would look! So I guess this is kind of a way of saying Thank You!

-Amanda Mogensen-

P.S. For all of those who may be wondering, LCpl. Meyer is one of my DI's at Young Marines.

GySgtRet
10-26-05, 04:19 PM
Well here is what the groups are talking about. It seems that if public schools get public or federal assitance then our federal government has the right to request this information. This was not done by one person or one group of people this was placed into PUBLIC LAW So that being what it is the people must have voted on it. What people. Well probably the same ones that are whinning about the DoD policy. Both Liberals and Conservatives voted this in and you can't tell me that nobody knew about this. I am no lawyer but I would be willing to bet that the DoD would win this, not that anybody's life should come down to a bet or anything like that. When I was on the streets in and around Buffalo New York from 1980 1983 I had some schools that tried this tactic with all of the recruiting services, they were indeed publicly funded schools both state and federally funded. Most of the schools including colleges and universities were very great to work with. However, there were those that thought that they could fight and win the information game. Some administrators would quote Albany New York's policy on recruitment. Well I don't remember exactly how it was worded but it went something like this. "Equal opportunity to employers, colleges, universities, military recruitment officals,...without predjudice of race, color, creed, or religious beliefs". Again this was somtime ago.

In closing a simple thank you would be just great. Thank you very much.

(a) POLICY-(1) ACCESS TO STUDENT RECRUITING INFORMATION- Notwithstanding section 444(a)(5)(B) of the General Education Provisions Act and except as provided in paragraph (2), each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide, on a request made by military recruiters or an institution of higher education, access to secondary school students names, addresses, and telephone listings.

(2) CONSENT- A secondary school student or the parent of the student may request that the student's name, address, and telephone listing described in paragraph (1) not be released without prior written parental consent, and the local educational agency or private school shall notify parents of the option to make a request and shall comply with any request.

(3) SAME ACCESS TO STUDENTS- Each local educational agency receiving assistance under this Act shall provide military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as is provided generally to post secondary educational institutions or to prospective employers of those students.

(b) NOTIFICATION- The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Defense, shall, not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, notify principals, school administrators, and other educators about the requirements of this section.

(c) EXCEPTION- The requirements of this section do not apply to a private secondary school that maintains a religious objection to service in the Armed Forces if the objection is verifiable through the corporate or other organizational documents or materials of that school.

(d) SPECIAL RULE- A local educational agency prohibited by Connecticut State law (either explicitly by statute or through statutory interpretation by the State Supreme Court or State Attorney General) from providing military recruiters with information or access as required by this section shall have until May 31, 2002, to comply with that requirement.

junker316
11-04-05, 01:20 PM
Interesting. Like Mother's of America. First we will not train but teach. Then we will not restrain but correct. Then we will not Curse but use lang that is appropriate. Okay...well then where does the training come in and when is the enemy going to care that you are offended by what they say. Once in combat, unbeknownenced to some, language is some what of a strong factor sometimes to get some-one to move faster. If strong verbage is so offencive and uncommon then they aren't going to react to the same order fast enough and may die. If recruitor's can't establish which of the interviewees aren't capaable of handling the stress of the military then we are going to get whatever is out there and not high quality service members. If parents don't want their childern targeted for recruitment then they have a say as long as the child is UNDER 18 years of age.

I really wonder of the advantage we are given when we have to be afraid to offend? Some people need to be "pushed" harder than others to get to full potential. They need the "rush" of screaming and cursing and ranting and raving. They desire the real world not some make believe traditions. All these does is undermine everything that we as Vets have strived to achieve. What we went through and what is now happening. It hurts me to know that some Drill Istructor is going to lose thier career because of an "offencive" word or because they push a recruit to make them listen and obey orders. It really hurts me to know that these same "Whining Babies" will someday hold the future of our Country's defence in their hands. If they are whining now can you imagine what they will be doing when the chips are down and they are forced to face their biggest fears.

rktect3j
11-04-05, 01:31 PM
It amazes me that during peace time these parents are all ready to give their children up to the military for all the perks like health insurance, place to eat and sleep, college educations and assistance but once there is a war they sit there and condem the military and say that their children are being taken advantage of. What hypocrites these people are.

outlaw3179
11-04-05, 03:31 PM
Dear Megan Watson -

I agree - with your attitude towards those who military service allows you to demonstrate your arrogance and stupidity - PLEASE do not let the military take your kid.

I beleive that induction would not be conducive to unit cohesion and morale.

But remember, one of the reasons that you are able to demonstrate, set up that ridiculous web site and in general be a royal pain in the a** is that MY kid volunteered for the Corps and stands on that wall 24/7 for you.

In the words of Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men", I'd just rather you said thank you.

100% fully agree ....Outstanding !