View Full Version : Marine gets special delivery

thedrifter
07-01-05, 07:11 PM
Marine gets special delivery
Web cam will let soldier in Iraq witness baby's birth
PUBLISHED: July 1, 2005
By Amanda Lee
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

A U.S. Marine stationed in Iraq is expected to get a unique gift today -- watching the birth of his baby.

Sgt. Peter Boucher, a resident of Clinton Township, is being allowed to watch the birth of his daughter, Lillian Grace, via a Web camera set up in his wife's delivery room at Mount Clemens General Hospital.

"I have to admit, I was really upset when I found out he was going to be gone during the time of the birth," said Stacy Boucher, Peter's wife. "This is something that definitely helped, though. At least he's not missing everything."

Peter Boucher, an 8-year-veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps who is stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township, volunteered for a tour of duty earlier this year as a preemptive move to delay any future deployments. He shipped out April 2.

"We thought it would be better for him to get it over with now than to have to go when the baby was older," Stacy Boucher said. "This way, he'll be around to help."

The mom-to-be checked into the hospital Thursday evening and was expecting to have her labor induced around 10 p.m. -- or 2 a.m. in Iraq. Her husband was expected to be able to watch the event from his own computer terminal thousands of miles away.

"There is no predicting when it will occur," said Dr. Thomas Zima, a physician with MCGH's Family Birthing Center. "We're inducing labor and it can happen any time."

The Bouchers have been in almost daily contact as the birth of the baby neared -- going so far as to find out the sex and prename the infant -- but have been unable to see each other.

"The last time he saw me was at 25 weeks so this is the first time he'll see me with the big belly, the first time in 19 weeks," Stacy Boucher said. "With him being so far away, he's nervous, scared and excited. We're both very excited. Without him actually being here, I guess this is the next best thing."

Usually a long-distance phone line would have to suffice to communicate the good news, but thanks to Stacy Boucher's labor and delivery coach -- who had heard of a similar telecast between Michigan and Florida -- the Web cast idea became an instant hit.

"The Army and Marines are handling the Web connections in Iraq," said Joseph Esdale, operations and production support manager for CareTech Solutions. "On this end, we installed the Web cam in the labor and delivery suite and verified the connection to Iraq will transfer correctly over the Internet."

The actual transmission is being made possible through a cooperative effort among Zima, the birthing center and CareTech Solutions, which provides Internet services to the hospital.

"I think it's great that we can help one of our soldiers in Iraq," Zima said. "My son was a Marine captain helicopter pilot and I personally take pride in being able to support our troops."

Stacy Boucher, 22, said her husband of two years isn't expected home until Sept. 30 -- but at least this way he'll be able to see his daughter's first moments.

"I think this will make it easier for both of us," she admitted. "I think I'm more worried about him missing out" than the delivery itself.

Despite her excitement, the mom-to-be also admits to a bit of nervousness.

"I'm just glad the time is finally here and everything worked out for both of us," she said. "I'm thankful this was able to happen."

Ellie

thedrifter
07-02-05, 11:30 AM
Courtesy from Mark aka The Fontman

Marine in Iraq Sees New Baby Girl on Webcast
KXTV
July 2, 2005

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. (AP) -- So what do battle-hardened Marines in Iraq look at on the World Wide Web? In Sergeant Peter Boucher's case, it was his daughter, just moments after she was born.

Boucher's wife, Stacy, delivered 7-pound, 7-ounce Lilian Grace in a suburban Detroit hospital near a camera hooked to a laptop.

The sergeant had been calling frequently to talk to his wife, and was on the phone when doctors said his daughter was about to arrive. Boucher rushed to the Webcast just in time to see Lilian Grace being held up for the first time.

The new mom says it's tough having her husband overseas, and she loves the technology that let them share the birth of their daughter.

Boucher is not expected home for several months.

Ellie