PDA

View Full Version : DI School students take pledge to make Marines

thedrifter
07-01-05, 09:09 AM
DI School students take pledge to make Marines
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 2005719345
Story by Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (July 1, 2005) -- Few Marines accept the challenge to become a drill instructor in the United States Marine Corps, and even fewer meet the physical and mental demands it takes to complete the vigorous requirements of Drill Instructor School.

The Marines who dare to take on the challenge train for 56 days to become known as "Marines who make Marines."

The 56 days of training required to become a drill instructor are comprised of 110 hours of close-order drill, 41.5 hours of leadership instruction, 124 hours of standard operating procedures, 60.5 hours of physical training, 30.5 hours of general military subjects, 35.5 hours of basic warrior training, 122 hours of instructional techniques and core values training; which included 63 hours of crucible training, and 59 hours of evaluation and testing, for a total of 535 academic hours.

Fifty-eight Marines, three foreign students and two "course challengers," Marines who have already been on the drill field, but come back to challenge the course, reported to the Drill Instructor School Class 3-05. However, only 49 graduated on their expected graduation date.

" I knew it would be hard," said Sgt. Nicole Van Loo, new 4th RTBn. drill instructor. "I would not let myself quit, though there were moments when I wanted to."

Van Loo, a former administrative clerk, said her stubbornness and persistence allowed her to overcome her thoughts of quitting as she continued to push herself.

"Drill instructor school was physically demanding and mentally draining," she said. "We were pushed past our limits every day, and never knew what to expect."

"It was a huge culture shock, and very competitive. I mean, you are in competition with a lot of good Marines who are used to being the best in their unit, and you are also used to being the best," she added.

Once the training is over, the milestone of graduation day marks the beginning of their voyage of supplying the Marine Corps with properly trained Marines.

"These recruits are entrusted to my care. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and country. I will demand of them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality and professional skill."

These words, the Drill Instructor Creed, ended their days as students, but began their long days as drill instructors, taking civilians and turning them into members of the

world's most elite fighting force.

"I am glad it's over, but I know this is just the beginning," Van Loo concluded

Ellie