View Full Version : Two York High grads join the Marines

thedrifter
07-01-05, 05:16 AM
Thursday, June 30, 2005
Two York High grads join the Marines

By JASON GRAY
Democrat Staff Writer
jgray@fosters.com

YORK, Maine — Two recent high school graduates are seeking excitement and adventure, which they hope to get by joining the Marines.

“I've always wanted to do something big and serve my country,” said 17-year-old Joe LaFlamme. “Not many people do that nowadays.”

LaFlamme says his parents have told him that he wanted to be a Marine since age seven. He says he wants to join the Marines, as opposed to other branches of the armed forces, because they are the first ones in during battles or other situations. He wants to feel the rush.

Matt Fulmer, 18, has also wanted to be in the military since he was a kid. He decided he wanted to join the military in August of 2004, shortly before beginning his senior year. After meeting with the recruiter, joining the Marines “just felt right.”

“I wanted to be part of the best,” said Fulmer. “I wanted the challenge and to join their brotherhood.”

LaFlamme believes he will be trained as a combat engineer, whereas Fulmer is going through combat training for the infantry. Service requirements are four years active duty followed by four years of reserve duty.

He said he hopes to serve four more years of active duty after the first four are completed. Fulmer, likewise, hopes he can serve eight years of active duty.
“I've been waiting for the day I could go,” said LaFlamme.

LaFlamme says he may pursue studies in the culinary arts or law school when he is done serving in the Marines. Fulmer thinks he will try a career in law enforcement.

“I just think I'm really gonna like it,” said Fulmer, when asked why he wanted to serve four more years of active duty.

Fulmer is spending time with friends and family until his deployment to a boot camp in North Carolina on July 11. He says he is going to miss his girlfriend, family and friends, but is looking forward to the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country, and possibly the world.

LaFlamme is also spending time with friends and family before his first day of boot camp arrives on Sept. 5. LaFlamme says he hopes he will be deployed to Hawaii; Okinawa, Japan; or Camp Pendleton in California.

“I think they are good kids,”said Sgt. Donnie Hebert, recruiter for the Dover, N.H. recruiting station. “They will do good things in the Marines.”

Hebert said most people joining the Marines today want to do something for their country. He said the Marines is also a good way to learn intangible skills such as discipline and leadership, which will benefit recruits when they eventually enter the job market.

Both young York men say they are able and willing to serve in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever the battles may be raging, if called to do so.

Ellie