PDA

View Full Version : Russian chooses Corps over Russian Army

thedrifter
06-30-05, 02:28 PM
Courtesty of Mark aka The Fontman

Russian chooses Corps over Russian Army
Submitted by: II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq(June 30, 2005 ) -- Moving to America after fleeing a volatile situation in Russia with his family in the early 90s, an 8th Communication Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD), Marine has found his place amongst America's finest fighting force.

Born in St. Petersburg, Russia, Lance Cpl. Peter Kapitonov, 20, a heavy equipment mechanic, moved to New York City with his mother and father at the age of eight to start a new life and to avoid serving in Afghanistan with the Russian army, according to Kapitonov.

According to Kapitonov, Russian citizens are required to do a mandatory two-year service in the army, and although Russia and Afghanistan are no longer at war, Kapitonov still receives letters from the Russian Government informing him of his duty.

"I started getting letters when I turned 16," said the reservist, who was activated from 6th Communication Battalion earlier this year. "They send them [the letters] to my grandmother's house in Russia and then she sends them to me."

Kapitonov, who became a U.S. citizen on the day he was activated to report to Camp Lejeune, has been in the Marine Corps for nearly three years and joined soon after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

"When I came home from school on that day [9/11] I looked out the window from my house and I could see the smoke and debris where the towers used to be," Kapitonov said. "I was ****ed off. I went to see a recruiter about two weeks after that and joined the DEP Program [Delayed Entry Program]."

Although Kapitonov's mother was apprehensive about him joining the military, he felt it was his duty to defend his new country and went to boot camp in July 2002.

With all male members of his family having served in the Russian Army, including his grandfather who earned a Russian Medal of Honor in World War II, Kapitonov is the first member of his family to serve in the U.S. military.

"I joined so I could come out here," said Kapitonov. "I'm pretty happy to be out here, but I wish I was in a more combat oriented MOS [Military Occupational Specialty]. A lot of my family has a military background, so my father was happy but my mom was worried."

To his peers, Kapitonov is a valuable part of 8th Comm. Well liked by many, he has earned the respect of his noncommissioned officers.

"He is a hard worker," said Cpl. Ezequiel Ruiz-Hernandez, heavy equipment mechanic. "I only have to tell him one time to do something and he does it. He is very trustworthy and he gets the job done."

When he is back at home in New York City, Kapitonov attends John Jay College of Criminal Justice in midtown Manhattan, where he is working toward earning a bachelor's degree and later on hopes to work in the criminal justice field with the police or a federal law enforcement agency.

Having completed four months of his seven-month-deployment, Kapitonov looks forward to reuniting with his family and girlfriend when he returns home.

Ellie

hrscowboy
06-30-05, 02:53 PM
Out freekin standing oooorahhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi..