PDA

View Full Version : Juarez captures Marine Corps Marathon

thedrifter
10-28-02, 01:53 PM
http://www.estripes.com/mainphotos/2_529839.jpg

Joe Gromelski / Stars and Stripes

U.S. Air Force Capt. Christopher Juarez (70) of Las Vegas prepares to pull away from Retta Feyissa of Washington, D.C. with about six miles to go in Sunday's Marine Corps Marathon. Juarez won the race in a time of 2:25:01.

By Sandra Jontz, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Monday, October 28, 2002

ARLINGTON, Va. — Capt. Christopher Juarez gloated, but only a little.

"To be in the Air Force and win the Marine Corps Marathon. Who can take that away from me?" said the 32-year-old contracting officer from Las Vegas upon completing the 26-mile, 385-yard run Sunday in 2 hours, 25 minutes and 1 second.

It was his 12th Marine Corps Marathon.

But truth be told, he was just happy a servicemember who took the first place honor in the 27th annual event, which begins and ends at the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington and winds its way past several monuments in the nation’s capital.

"All four of us, we’re sister services. We all have a job to do and we all wear the red, white and blue, especially as we fight this war on terrorism. If a Marine dies or an airmen dies, it’s an American who dies. It’s just an honor to represent the [Defense Department.]"

Marathon veteran Liz Scanlon, a 31-year-old laboratory technician for the National Institute of Health, took the first place finish in the women’s competition, running the marathon in 2:57:27. She’d run it four times before.

She couldn’t have been happier with Sunday’s results. "I just wanted to run it in under three hours," she said.

After crossing the 14th Street Bridge, which links the District of Columbia to Virginia, she knew she was a shoe-in for the women’s winners circle, she said.

"The toughest part was at the bridge. You could see what seemed like miles and miles, and I was thinking the bridge was never going to end."

The 16,000 runners could not have asked for a better weather, with the temperature on the rain-free morning hovering around 73 degrees.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=11262

Sempers,

Roger