PDA

View Full Version : Man Probed For Wearing Unearned Medal Of Honor

thedrifter
06-28-05, 08:22 AM
Man Probed For Wearing Unearned Medal Of Honor <br />
<br />
POSTED: 9:19 am EDT June 27, 2005 <br />
<br />
CASEVILLE, Mich. -- A World War II veteran photographed wearing a Medal of Honor at a Memorial Day event could...

OLE SARG
06-28-05, 08:34 AM
This man needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law will allow.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

hrscowboy
06-28-05, 11:37 AM
I will second that SSgt..

Osotogary
06-28-05, 12:19 PM
Has anybody out there ever known an individual who worn a Medal of Honor under false pretenses?
I have and I was at his hearing. It wasn' t a fun time either way for anybody involved. Hells bells, I didn't even know that this individual had a Medal of Honor let alone that he wore it in public.
I guess there is no way that I can conjure up sympathy for anybody that does such a thing. I think, above all, that such false displays are related to a self esteem problem. Some say that the self esteem problems are wartime related,especially to former prisoners of war. I would imagine that this is a possibility and that this may be a reason for the court to be firm but lenient with the accused. I'm still tying to figure out how in the hell someone is going to make him or herself into the ultimate war hero by wearing the Medal of Honor. It's just way beyond my comprehension unless one considers the instances where false documentation has been used for personal gains in all of lifes endeavors on a daily basis by anybody that choses to do so.
Anyway, I just let a skeleton out of the closet. I was a character witness on his behalf. I could only relate to the court the person that I knew and not to the actions that I didn't know. Had I known about this persons false representation and display of valor I would have never spoke up on his behalf.
Of coarse hind sight is twenty-twenty. The deed was done, justice was handed out, all reparation was taken care of and life continues onward for some. For those caught in the quagmire of un-truths life never moves on.

sgt.lane
06-28-05, 12:29 PM
BBQ his A**!!!!

radio relay
06-28-05, 12:40 PM
I've never known a person claiming a false MOH, but I run into wannabe Marines all the damned time. It really gets my blood boiling, and I let them know it, too.

There are so few living Medal Of Honor recipients that the chances of meeting one just out on the street are virtually nil. Even if you did meet one by accident, you would probably never know it, unless someone else told you.

Osotogary
06-28-05, 01:00 PM
radio relay-
If I wear anything U.S.Marine related at all it will be a garment or cap that say's, Proud Parent of a U.S.Marine or something involving a combined Marine/Community function, maybe an honorable membership...that kind of thing. The rule that I have set for myself is that if I didn't earn it I won't wear it after all. This rule seems to work for me, for others...maybe not.

Joseph P Carey
06-28-05, 01:54 PM
Recently, I again received my medals from the Marine Corps that were lost over the years. I was very surprised when they sent them to me in the mail, I might even say amazingly surprised that they...

hrscowboy
06-28-05, 02:11 PM
If you didnt earn them dont wear em thats the buttom line.. or suffer the wrath of whats coming to ya..

Joseph P Carey
06-28-05, 03:47 PM
I dont know Hrs, this may become the next ACLU target for Free Speech, like the burning of the US Flag! <br />
<br />
Even if the medal is not listed on the person's DD214, that may not be the final indicator...

USMC-FO
06-28-05, 03:48 PM
Well this old goat should not have done what he did, it was very wrong...

One can infer that he is has been suitably humiliated in the eyes of his friends, neighbors and certainly other vets. And he'll have to live with that shame for how ever long he has left. But that said some of the old hard asses in here need to think about being a bit more forgiving....There is nothing to be gained by stomping on some 76 year old hero wannabe.....

Just so you old goats don't think me to soft and pink...I would not feel the same way if this guy were 30 years younger ...

jirzman
06-28-05, 04:47 PM
You can request an updated DD215 which you have the right to indicate you may be deserving of a medal.You will be given a DD215 with all awards you are due.This in turn is the Military's way of updating your DD214.Like Mr Carey stated,some service people were out before of the service before an award was approved.That award is still due you if your unit was awarded it even if not on your DD214.

radio relay
06-28-05, 11:57 PM
The people I run into are the clowns that have to tell you what heros they were as Marines in "da Nam" (usually). Then you start asking them simple questions as to when they were in, and where they served, and with what units, etc. They always eventually screw up.

Was talking to a guy recently who claimed to have been a Marine. He had his units down, and ranks too. So I was kind of warming up to the dude, but then I asked him where he went to boot camp and he proudly says "Pendleton". At that point, I just turned my back on the puke.

Usually they'll tell you they were "Airborne", or "Special Forces", or just give you a number (like 101st) when you ask them a unit designation. Rank structure usually trips them up too.

Wearing a hat or shirt or something like that with Marine logos ain't no big deal. It's the guys that wear medals that they didn't earn, and claim to be something that they were not, that need to have the crap beat out of them! Wearing a Medal Of Honor, or Purple Heart that wasn't earned is unforgivable.

radio relay
06-29-05, 12:12 AM
It also came with some extra &quot;decorations&quot; that were not on my original DD214. <br />
<br />
Nothing big deal, just a COG unit award, and a Navy Unit Commendation. Only a couple extra ribbons, but it was kind...

Joseph P Carey
06-29-05, 12:45 AM
Shop around! I called those names on the list the DoN sent to me, but I found them cheaper in other places. The Vietnam Campaign Medal was $12.00 cheaper in some places, and the devices were anywhere...