PDA

View Full Version : Update on the USMC Silver Dollar

thedrifter
06-23-05, 06:09 AM
Given to me by Mark aka The Fontman
Below received in email today for your perusal...
http://p089.ezboard.com/bthefontmanscommunity

Update on the USMC Silver Dollar

Based on the ever-growing desire for information concerning the minting and sales of the Marine Corps Silver Dollar, I wanted to up date the "All Hands" team.

As you may remember, the coin design was unveiled in the summer of 2004. In May of this year, the Assistant Commandant "struck" the first coin.

The initial sales of the USMC Silver Dollar by the US Mint will occur aboard Marine Corps Base Quantico between the hours of 1000-1600, 20 July 2005. At 1000, a short ceremony will take place in front of Lejeune Hall which serves as the Headquarters for the Base. To mark this historic event, Guests of Honor include the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps and the Director of the US Mint. Several thousand visitors are expected to attend the event which will include static displays and demonstrations of Marine Corps warfighting capabilities. Following the ceremony, sales will begin. It is anticipated that 20,000 coins will be available on the 20th with purchases limited in number per customer to ensure maximum availability for attendees. The maximum purchase per person will be determined by the US Mint on the day of the ceremony. "Proofs" and "Uncirculated" versions will be available on site with the cost ranging from $35 to $39.95. If the coins sale out, vouchers will be available for purchase of pre-issue coins from Mint personnel on scene.

After 20 July, purchases will be open to the public through the US Mint (www.usmint.gov/mint_progr...n=Marine). Initially, the minting of 500,000 coins was approved. Based on the tremendous interest in the coin, the minting of an additional 100,000 has been approved. A portion of the proceeds from the sales will go the construction fund of the National Museum of the Marine Corps and Heritage Center.

The construction of The National Museum of the Marine Corps is well underway as evidenced by the inspiring view of the spiral from Interstate 95 just outside the Main Gate of Quantico. This will be a state-of-the-art facility honoring, preserving and telling America's story through the eyes of the Marines. That story is first told through magnificent architectural design evoking the Marines' importance to the American people. The main building features a dramatic 210-foot tilted mast and glass atruim inspired by the flag raising at Iwo Jima. Inside, a massive central gallery and surrounding era galleries will take visitors through the history of the Marines, including pivotal battles and other vital contributions to the preservation of America's freedom. Multimedia and interactive offerings will bring the Marine Corps experience to life through immersion exhibits like the "Boot Camp" experience, documentary films and audio recordings of frontline troops. Thousands of artifacts, including the flag raised over Iwo Jima, pay witness of the contributions Marines have made to our Nation since its founding. Other Museum facililties will include a restaurant, gift shop, and a large-screen theater. The Museum will be the centerpiece of a complex of facilities called the Marine Corps Heritage Center. This multi-use campus will be located on a 135 acre site adjacent to the Base and will include Semper Fidelis Memorial Park and Chapel; a demonstration area with parade grounds; hiking trails and other outdoor recreational offerings; a conference center and hotel; and an archive facility to restore and preserve Marine artifacts. As the Base Commander, I have been privileged to visit the construction site many times and it is magnificent! All of us who have earned the coveted title of "Marine" are indebted to the dedicated members of the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation for their commitment to bringing the vision of a National Museum of the Marine Corps and Heritage Center to reality..... and for pursuing the minting of OUR coin! For more on the Foundation, I invite you to visit www.usmcmuseum.org

Semper Fidelis,
Col Mike Lowe
Commander, Marine Corps Base Quantico

Ellie

Namvet67
07-20-05, 01:26 PM
Anyone having any luck in purchasing the coin? After several attempts i got a order in but was told it would be about 4 weeks until delivery.

nofearusmc
07-20-05, 03:56 PM
It is currently showing being on backorder. So during that 4 weeks of waiting for shipment, the mint will process and produce more coins for the orders.

s/f

GunnyL
07-20-05, 04:56 PM
Actually, the backorder is all the way back to October right now. I just ordered a coin today and it says to expect shipment in October.

GunnyL

thedrifter
07-21-05, 09:39 AM
Paying the price to honor Marines
Date published: 7/21/2005
By PAMELA GOULD

Agustin Roman was the first person in line yesterday to buy the Marine Corps 230th anniversary silver dollar minted to benefit the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

The Aquia Harbour man said he joined the Marines right after graduating from high school in Puerto Rico and wanted to be at Quantico Marine Corps Base for the kickoff of the coin sales to show his gratitude.

"The Marine Corps has a special place in my life," Roman said. "I was only in for four years, but it changed my life--in a good way."

Roman was one of hundreds of people who stood in line in yesterday's heat to buy a piece of Marine Corps history and to support the service they still love.

Nine men who served together in the Korean War traveled together from the Harrisonburg area.

"We're proud. The Marines are proud--proud people," said Vernon Good of Broadway, who served at the Chosin Reservoir.

A Woodbridge man who served in the Army came to buy coins for a Marine captain recently deployed to Afghanistan, some Marine "brothers" who served with him in Vietnam and even one for himself.

"It's history, history in the making, and I might have something that will be very valuable in the future," Art Foss said. "But mostly, I'm doing this for my Vietnam brothers."

Lance Cpl. Piotr Pleszka, who emigrated with his family from Poland when he was 5, bought 20 of the coins for his coin collection and to sell to family members. He said it was a "joy" that the Marines were the first service to be honored with a coin.

Retired Marine Col. Raymond Hord said it was attitudes such as those that the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation had in mind when it first floated the idea of creating a commemorative coin.

"They love to collect memorabilia," Hord said of his fellow Marines.

The coin is the first ever minted to honor a branch of the U.S. military. Only two new coins are minted each year.

A maximum of 600,000 of the Marine coins have been authorized. Ten dollars from each sale goes to the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation--the nonprofit organization raising money to build the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

The coins cost $39 for a proof silver dollar and $37 for an uncirculated silver dollar.

One side of the coin authorized by Congress last year features the flag-raising at Iwo Jima--the iconic image captured by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal. The other depicts the Marine Corps emblem--the globe, laurel and anchor--with its motto, Semper Fidelis.

The sale of the coins is expected to generate $5 million to $6 million and bring the museum's fund-raising total to $49.2 million, said Hord, the foundation's vice president for development and marketing. The cost of constructing the museum is now projected at between $50 million and $54 million.

The building is under construction on 135 acres just outside Quantico's main gate. In March, workers began installing the structure's most distinctive feature--a roof featuring a 210-foot-tall spire reminiscent of the historic flag-raising on Feb. 23, 1945, at Mount Suribachi on the Japanese island of Iwo Jima.

The museum structure is halfway finished, Lt. Gen. Ron Christmas, the foundation's president, said yesterday.

Gen. Michael W. Hagee, the Marine commandant, was on hand for the coin's official unveiling and received one from U.S. Mint Director Henrietta Holsman Fore. He said it will be displayed with his other Marine memorabilia, including a plate commemorating the Corps' 200th anniversary.

"I'm really proud Congress saw fit to honor the individual Marines who saw fit to serve this country for 230 years--almost 230 years," Hagee said.

Stafford County Administrator Steve Crosby attended yesterday's event to support the Marines and bought coins for his son and for the county.

"There won't be many people who can say they bought them the day they went on sale and at Quantico," Crosby said. "I think that's pretty special--especially for Stafford County."

Coins are available online at usmint.gov or by calling 800/USA-MINT.

Ellie

mrbsox
07-21-05, 12:47 PM
Just put 2 on order.

Backordered until 10-20-05... so the confirmation said.

Namvet67
07-21-05, 01:07 PM
Got 75 yesterday! 4-6 week delivery time!

thedrifter
07-21-05, 01:48 PM
Marine Corps unveils commemorative coin
MCB Quantico
Story by Sgt. Donald Bohanner

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va (July 21, 2005) -- Marine Corps Base Quantico and the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation hosted the unveiling ceremony for the U.S. Mint’s commemorative U.S. Marine Corps silver dollar coin at Lejeune Hall Wednesday.

“This is the first time the United States Mint has ever struck a coin for one of the services, and we are extremely proud,” said Gen. Michael Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps.

Congress authorized the Mint to create the coin to commemorate the Marine Corps’ 230th birthday and to honor past, present and future Marines who have made sacrifices to defend the nation.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005721104723/$file/COIN090_Bohanner_lowres.jpg

Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Michael W. Hagee gives remarks at the unveiling ceremony for the U.S. Mint’s commemorative U.S. Marine Corps silver dollar coin at Lejeune Hall Wednesday. Congress authorized U.S. Mint to create the coin to commemorate the Marine Corps’ 230th birthday and to honor past, present and future Marines who have made sacrifices to defend the nation. The Marine Corps is the first service to have a coin minted.
Photo by: Sgt. Donald Bohanner

“This is a very exciting day,” said Henrietta Holsman Fore, director of the United States Mint. “This historic coin is the first we have created for any service. It is in celebration of the 230th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps, and we are proudly minting these coins.”

The Basic School and Marine Corps Systems Command had several static displays at the ceremony showcasing Marine Corps equipment, and the Martial Arts Center of Excellence gave several demonstrations. The MV-22 Osprey and several helicopters were on display for spectators to see them up close and personal.

“On May 25, the director of the U.S. Mint and the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps went to the mint in Philadelphia to view the striking of the first sets of coins to ensure that the design was good,” said retired Col. Raymond Hord, Marine Corps Heritage Foundation’s vice president of development and marketing.

According to Hagee, a portion of each sale will go to the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation in support of the National Museum of the Marine Corps’ construction.

“The museum will be a wonderful addition to the Marine Corps,” said Hagee. “It will be a place where we are going to be able to tell our story, not only to Marines but to all Americans. And it’s a great story to tell.”

The first 30 days after the unveiling of the coin, uncirculated coins will cost $33 and proof coins will cost $35. After Aug. 22, the coins will be sold for $35 and $39, respectively.

According to a description on the U.S. Mint’s Web site, the coin is distinguished by a frosted cameo image. The “proof” coins shimmer with mirror-like backgrounds and are packaged in acrylic cases to preserve their finish. The “uncirculated” coins are carefully handled, minted on special presses, and have not been used in everyday commerce. The uncirculated coins are protectively sealed in clear Mylar to ensure they stay in their original mint condition.

“This commemorative coin program includes additional special products. The Marine Corps Coin and Stamp Set offers an uncirculated Marine Corps 230th anniversary silver dollar with an original Iwo Jima 3-cent stamp issued in 1945,” said Fore.

For more information on the USMC silver dollar or to purchase the coin online, visit www.usmint.gov.

Ellie

Namvet67
08-15-05, 10:36 AM
My coins arrived on Friday! Awesome! Anybody get their order?

GySgtRet
08-15-05, 11:27 AM
I lucked out and had a friend get one for me on the 20th of July. I was unable to be there. It is a great looking coin...!!!

Semper Fidelis

Wyoming
08-15-05, 11:54 AM
Got mine.

Proof sets.

Awesome.

CHOPPER7199
08-15-05, 09:52 PM
WAS TOLD SHIP DATE ON MINE WILL BE 08/30/05 AND I ORDERED IT TO-DAY. THEY ARE GOING FAST.

airframesguru
08-16-05, 05:03 AM
got 2 on the way. shoulda bought more.

GunnyL
08-16-05, 05:19 AM
Mine originally told me it was going to be shipped on 10/25/2005 but they charged me for it yesterday so it's already on the way.

mrbsox
09-01-05, 12:29 PM
of two (proof) coins just the other day. When ordered, I was informed of an October ship date.

My (doorstop) son-in-laws family runs a coin shop, and sets up at the flea market everyweek end. He has several that had been run thru a grading system, repackaged, and selling for $60 each.