PDA

View Full Version : Poolee thread

wrbones
10-27-02, 02:43 PM
Do yer bloody research kids!

Whenever I want to know something, I do research. I look it up on my search engines. I have four that I use. I go to the public library. If you can't find it, they have a little department that is more than willing to help you find what you need. They found a book for me last year on a inter library loan. Two locations in the country had that book. I had a copy of one of them in my hands in a week's time. After I do my research, then I ask questions of people who might have the answers I couldn't find myself. I don't read one book. I read dozens. I don't look at one website. I look at dozens. I don't ask one person. I ask several.

Concerning the Marine Corps, for example: I haven't read all the books in the local library concerning Marines. I'm still working on it.

Concerning websites. I have seen tens of dozens about Marines. One search engine, Google, when you input USMC, will reveal 1,240,000 references!

Concerning boot camp. SEE A RECRUITER! HE/SHE HAS ALL THE CURRENT INFORMATION YOU WILL NEED!

AFTER you have done some of that kind of research, READ EVERYTHING on this or other Marine websites. You will then begin to begin to kinda sorta<I>maybe</I> get it. Then you will know enough to <I>begin</I> to ask questions without gettin' yer head bit off. Maybe.

Keep in mind that for us, what you read about is not history, but memory. Fresh in our minds. It is not adventure or fantasy, but reality. It is not glorious, but often things that are hard for many of us to speak of, and difficult to relate to others who have not been where we were or done what we did.

Be aware that friends of ours have died in service to this country. When you disrespect us, you disrespect them.

Be aware, and be respectful at all times.

If you follow these guidelines, you will find it much easier to get along on these sites for, by, and about Marines.

Last, but certainly the first thing you should keep in mind, is that you are not, as yet Marines. We are. We are that which you hope to become. You know nothing of what it is to be a Marine. We will help you and advise you, but we are not your Mothers. We are not your Fathers. We are not your school teachers. We are not your buddies. We are Marines. You will hear the truth whether you like it or not.

ssgtp_diddy
10-27-02, 02:54 PM
AMEN Bones. you hit the nail on the head.

Seeley
10-29-02, 09:47 PM
wrbones I love how you get right to the point! :) I can see it getting annoying when people ask such generic questions such as, "what should I do in the Marines?" or "when did this happen?" I will have to agree with you fully on this...if someone wants to know something bad enough, they should be able to spend some time learning about it.

22DevilPup87
10-30-02, 11:43 AM
wrbone,
Everything you said is so very true.

All of the Marines I've come across here have been more than helpful and have set the best of examples.

I agree with you completely: If there's something you want to know, find the information yourself! It may be tough to find, but if you really want it, you'll get it. After many days, weeks, and possibly months of research, if the answer can't be found, or more detail is needed, then and only then it's time to ask for help that requires someone else's valuable time.

Jess