PDA

View Full Version : Why the Marine Corps?

limitdliability
10-26-02, 10:11 PM
hello,
firstly, i want to make sure this is clear before someone jumps at my throat thinking that i dislike or in some way look down on the Marine Corps. I do not, in any way, disrespect the corp and what it stands for and the brotherhood that exists around it.

Ok, now the point of this thread. Why did you, specifically, join the Marine Corps? I would prefer if you were as specific as you are comfortable being. And if you are no longer enlisted, what is your current occupation? Is it what you want to be doing? Do u think the Marine Corp helped you to get where you are today? Why? and any other information that you feel relates would be very appreciated. thanks

Sparrowhawk
10-26-02, 11:21 PM
Why? Why?
Why, do you want to know?

wrbones
10-26-02, 11:56 PM
Just ****ing because!

Second answer. Because it's the best with a long and distinguished history of service.

Third answer. Sergeant Stryker.

Fourth answer. I made a bet, and I wasn't gonna squelch on it!

Fifth answer. I was told that I'd never make it.

Spend some time around this site and read everything ever posted by everyone and you might, maybe, begin to get an idea.

firstsgtmike
10-27-02, 03:49 AM
Son,

You answered your own question: "FOR WHAT IT STANDS FOR AND FOR THE BROTHERHOOD THAT EXISTS AROUND IT".

Bones has given you the best advice:

"Spend some time around this site and read everything ever posted by everyone and you might, maybe, begin to get an idea."

Because, an answer directed to YOU may be looked upon with suspicion. "What are you selling me, what's in it for you? If someone you liked (or didn't like) asked the same question, would they receive the same response? " etc. etc. etc.

In the posts you will read, NONE were designed with YOU in mind.
None gave a **** whether you or anyone else liked or agreed with them. These posts encompass a wide variety of topics, viewpoints, feelings, and opinions. But, they are one MARINE talking to other MARINES.

You will discover that we do not walk in lockstep. Someone states a viewpoint or an opinion, and not everyone stands up and says "amen".

If it wasn't for the love and respect we have for one another, you would hear more "That's BS" than you would hear "amen".

But, focus on the love, respect, faith, trust and confidence Marines have for one another. That's what we are all about, and they are the ONLY things that count.

In ANY situation, in service or or out, on the battlefield, on the job, or on vacation, the most comforting words you will ever hear are "Hey Bro, Semper Fi!"

Don't take my word for it, read the posts.

They will also answer your second questions concerning a Marines life after he left active duty.

A final word. IF, after reading, viewing, asking and learning, everything YOU can about Marines, and you STILL have doubts, DON'T DO IT, because you'll never make it. And that failure to become one of the best will haunt you for the rest of your life.

It's far more ego protective to say "I think I could have made it as a Marine, but I chose not to try."

If you get your **** together, Welcome Aboard. If not, "limitedliability who?"

Barndog
10-27-02, 04:12 AM
WHY?

Honor, Integrity, and Respect. Something I earned in the Marine Corps, that as far as I'm concerned - not many people outside of this Brotherhood truly and honestly possess.

Semper Fidelis

Jim
10-27-02, 05:57 AM
I joined the Corps:

1. to kill gooks!
2. because it is the best

What I got:

1. pride! pride in myself, my Corps and my country

a. you earn the title Marine with blood, sweat and tears, it is
not a gift

b. look at military folks in airports and just see who has pride
in their appearance

c. how many members, and especially former members, of
other services stand for their branch song, or even the
national anthem

2. brothers; older, younger brothers and they still keep coming

a. siblings may not agree but everyone in the brotherhood
has shared the pain and joy of earning the title

b. Marines don't abandon their brothers

Not sure of your intent but like the others have said, read all the posts and you may get a sense of what it means to be a Marine.

But the only way to really know is to join the brotherhood and that path leads to San Diego or PI.

Semper Fi:marine:

limitdliability
10-27-02, 12:08 PM
ok, this isnt me having doubts. i was just wondering why some other people joined. some join for the brotherhood, some join for experience, some join for other reasons. i just wanted to see why some of you joined. it kinda sucks when people ask innocent questions around here someone else always jumps all over that person and tears them apart for no apparent reason. i was just curious. sorry for wanting to learn something about the corp.

wrbones
10-27-02, 12:37 PM
I agree with Joe.

Kid, ya got some good responses to yer question.

You don't like it, too bad. You can **** off

A few of us were willin to be of some help to ya. I think yer on yer own now. It would be advisable if you went home to mommy now.

USMC0311
10-27-02, 12:39 PM
Good Mornin Bones.. Its a COLD day Bro.. and You have warmed My Heart and Soul Marine

Sgt0811
10-27-02, 12:42 PM
:no: Don't be sorry for wanting to learn something about the Corps. The best way to learn is to become a part of it. Then you will know and understand why we are the way we are.
I joined the Corps after being brought up as an Air Force brat. When asked by my father why, I told him that I wanted something differant. I got it. When I left boot camp as a PFC wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor not only was I proud of what I had become but my father was too.
Before you had asked if the Corps had influnced our life and or employment. I would have to say yes it did. I for one became a Police Officer and I believ that the Corps played an important role in how I treated people and how I represented my Department. Just like in the Corps I always attempted to give the best impression of my department so that the people that I served would respect me and the other members .
It is always good to ask questions, that is how you learn.
To you I say good luck in your future. To my Brother and Sisters I say Semper Fi.
Chick:marine:

thedrifter
10-27-02, 12:51 PM
Poolee/Wannabee,

You were given some very good answers to your question. Some of the Marines in here consider their reasons for joining personal. All who have answered you in one way or another are well RESPECTED MARINES on this site. This is our Home!!!

You asked those question and the way you wrote your post, demanded that we responses with the answers that you want to hear.

As you were told, read the forums, you should have your own reasons for wanting to be a Marine and it has to come from the
HEART.

You cannot use the Marines reasons for joining, if you do, you are only fooling yourself and will never make it as a Marine.

The Drifter

TRIPWIRE
10-27-02, 02:34 PM
I CHOSE TO BE ! (NOT TO BE WOULD HAVE MEANT JUST THAT!)

I DID'NT WANT TO FEEL LIKE I WAS LEACHING OFF UNCLE SAM !
I WANTED TO MORE THAN JUST EARN MY PAY, I WAS'NT TALKING ABOUT MONEY ? I COULDNT BELIVE I WAS GOING TO GET PAID
FOR THIS AWSOME PRIVILEDGE THAT WAS AT HAND.
AMERICAS BEST....THE PRESIDENTS OWN !
VICTORY AFTER VICTORY.....BROTHER HOOD OF ALL BROTHER HOODS.....THE AIRFORCE NO CHALLENGE ! ARMY AND NAVY ALL
BLAH AND NO MEANING TO THE WORD PRIDE,
YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DIFFERENT MIND SET TO BE THE WORLDS BEST, THEY WONT DO IT FOR YA, ITS BASED ON WHAT YOU PUT INTO TO IT ? YOU WILL GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT !
EVERY MARINE HAS ONE THING IN COMMON ? THATS THE TITLE UNITED STATES MARINE....;) :marine:

WHEN AMERICANS FEEL THREATENED ! WHO DO YOU HEAR THEY CALL UPON ? THEY ALWAYS SAY THIS,"

SEND IN THE MARINES :)

JAMarine
10-27-02, 06:14 PM
I do believe it may be you with the attitude. I read your post and within it was Disrespect up front.

firstly, i want to make sure this is clear before someone jumps at my throat thinking that i
dislike or in some way look down on the Marine Corps.

What kinda of "beginning" of a question is that? Talk about being negative.

Why not (and I'm not so sure it would do any good now) just try asking the question(s) you have?

Are you even interested in "our" Corps? What is it about the Marine Corps or Marines that make you feel good or feel pride?

You might consider trying to come back with a different approach.

There is Pride here and it runs Very Deep

firstsgtmike
10-27-02, 06:30 PM
Son,

I have a challenge for YOU. Let's see if you dare.

Invite ten friends, no, better yet, make it a class project.

Have them ALL read this entire thread, from your first posting, through our responses and your last post.

Then, get a discussion going with THEM, and listen to THEIR comments about what happened here.

Do you dare?

limitdliability
10-27-02, 09:32 PM
i started with that because the other times i asked questions of made simple comments (correcting the name of a book for example) i got attacked and torn apart. i just didnt want that to happen again, but it seems that it didnt work. im willing to let this thread die, if you guys are will to do so as well. you may be right, i may not be Marine material. that is what im trying to decide within myself right now. im looking at my future and trying to see where i will be in four or five years. the point of the thread was to see if all of you marines are in a position you hoped to be in when u graduated high school. im sorry it turned into attacking each other. i wouldnt be the slightest bit upset if a mod closed this thread since it is no longer serving the intended purpose. once again, im sorry.

i do agree, there is much pride, and honor, and respect you guys have for one another. cherish it, for it forms the great brotherhood that surrounds you. perhaps someday i will realize myself and what i want to do, and attempt to gain the trust of that brotherhood. until that day, im sorry.

wrbones
10-27-02, 09:53 PM
How old are you kid? I think you missed the point of all of the answers we've given ya! Look at the Poolee threads and Mentor threads on this siste. Might be some answers for ya there.

USMC0311
10-27-02, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by limitdliability
hello,
firstly, i want to make sure this is clear before someone jumps at my throat thinking that i dislike or in some way look down on the Marine Corps. I do not, in any way, disrespect the corp and what it stands for and the brotherhood that exists around it.

Ok, now the point of this thread.

Why did you, specifically, join the Marine Corps?

I would prefer if you were as specific as you are comfortable being.

And if you are no longer enlisted, what is your current occupation?

Is it what you want to be doing?

Do u think the Marine Corp helped you to get where you are today?

Why?

and any other information that you feel relates would be very appreciated.
thanks

These ALL seem to be very personal Questions...I still believe Sparrowhawks Question should be answered...WHY..do you want to know all of this personal stuff.

are you foolish enough to believe that just because you ask QUESTIONS, You rate answers..Too Much with too little reasoning limitedability.. I for one wouldn't even answer those questions from MOST people ..let alone a stranger...Geta Grip ain't no fools here..

wrbones
10-27-02, 10:46 PM
If yer gonna go and fantasize, ya just as well do it right! LOL> Myself, I'da had some more questions fer folks if it'd ebeen postin' this thread. Of course, I mighta said things a bit different than he did, even when I was a damn fool kid. Here's a picture folks.

limitdliability
10-28-02, 03:52 PM
i said im sorry...what else do u guys what from me..im sorry if the questions are too personally..that is why i said to be as personal as u are comfortable with. i wasnt demanding anything. i was just curious to see a few things. i cant do anything more than say im sorry. and i didnt miss your point, that is why i have been reading other posts and looking around. sorry i dont have anything in my profile..i was in a hurry to sign up and left them blank, if it will make u happy i will fill in all the fields that are applicable.

1st sgt mike..what do u mean? you want me to see what others think of this thread, and how i acted? and how you guys acted and what they think about our conversations? is that what u mean..i will if you really want me to. but i dont know about u guys, but i have no more agruements against u, so we can stop this whenever your ready. im not trying to be the better man or anything, i just dont think its worth arguing about anymore. it isnt that important to me, i was jsut curious, and im sorry if i offended you or anything.

wrbones
10-28-02, 04:50 PM
I noticed that you asked a few questions expectin' an answer, but didn't answer any questions posed to you! You want us to change yer diaper or what? LMAO! ( OH, hell, I ain't had anybody to pick on fer awhile. wtf. LOL.)

YOU DON"T GET IT kid. There just happen to be a few other people on the face of the earth than yerself. You haven't figgered that out yet. The First Sergeant said what he meant and meant what he said. It ain't a matter of us stoppin anything. Yer in someone else's house now. Like I said. You don't get anything. From the way you've you've posted here, yer no kinda man. I figure yer about 13, maybe fourteen, if that. If it wasn't important to you, you wouldn't have posted again. Period.

Like Hannibal said, Quid, pro, quo, kid. (Hey, it's his fantasy! LOL)Maybe I won't eat ya for breakfast. Answer some questions. They've already been posed.

Shaffer
10-28-02, 05:09 PM
Whose asking and whose answering?

Frankly it doesn't matter. You got personal questions about this person or that person then ask them. Personally I don't care what the kids profile says or what any Marines here says....Unless that person came in claiming to be a Marine and then it was found out that they weren't.

Told you before and I will tell ya again. You got a problem or question with someone then take it offline. You want to questions someones profile then PM or email them. Some of you rock Marines don't get the picture.

There are other boards out there that drill people and question them over and over again. Not this one.

Semper Fi ladies,
Jerry