PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa camps are named after Medal of Honor recipients

thedrifter
06-17-05, 06:10 AM
Okinawa camps are named after Medal of Honor recipients <br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
Stars and Stripes <br />
Pacific edition, Friday, June 17, 2005 <br />

Namvet67
06-17-05, 08:46 AM
I was in and out of Okinawa 8 times during the Vietnam conflict...never knew about how the names came about! Learn something new everyday! Semper Fi gbudd

radio relay
06-17-05, 10:11 AM
I was stationed at Camp Scwab for about six months after I left Vietnam, in October 1970. Back then, 7th Comm (my unit) shared the base with 3rd Recon, and 3rd Motor-T.

For some reason the story above didn't list the action for which PFC Albert E. Schwab, received his MOH. Here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PFC ALBERT E. SCHWAB
Medal of Honor
1/5/1
Okinawa

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS ALBERT E. SCHWAB
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a Flame Thrower Operator serving with Headquarters Company, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Island, 7 May 1945. Quick to take action when his company was pinned down in a valley and suffering resultant heavy casualties under blanketing machine- gun fire emanating from a high ridge to the front, Private First Class Schwab, unable to flank the enemy emplacement because of steep cliffs on either side, advanced up the face of the ridge in bold defiance of the intense barrage and, skillfully directing the fire of his flame thrower, quickly demolished the hostile gun position, thereby enabling his company to occupy the ridge. Suddenly a second Japanese machine gun opened fire, killing or wounding several Marines with its initial burst. Estimating with split-second decision the tactical difficulties confronting his comrades, Private First Class Schwab elected to continue his one-man assault despite a diminished supply of fuel for his flame thrower. Cool and indomitable, he moved forward in the face of the direct concentration of hostile fire, relentlessly closed the enemy position and attacked. Although severely wounded by a final vicious blast form the enemy weapon, Private First Class Schwab had succeeded in destroying two highly strategic Japanese gun positions during a critical stage of the operation and, by his dauntless, singlehanded efforts, materially furthered the advance of his company. His aggressive initiative, outstanding valor and professional skill throughout the bitter conflict sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

sgt.lane
06-17-05, 11:18 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GySgtRet
06-17-05, 12:02 PM
Outstanding Marine. I had hear of his story the first time to Okinawa in 76. But I have never read his citation.

Semper Fidelis Marine