View Full Version : Support the Troops!

thedrifter
10-26-02, 12:45 PM
ACTION REQUIRED!
Support the Troops!
26 Oct 02
Posted with hyperlinks at:
http://members.aol.com/bear317/pacers.htm

NOTICE: The report below was first posted in 1998. As our country is once again facing Saddam and his reported weapons of mass destruction, let's at least ensure that we we do what we can to protect them! And provide BIDS biological detection equipment to our front-line troops. This system might not be perfect, but it's the best we have at this time.

http://www.sbccom.apgea.army.mil/products/bids.htm

We encourage all to send the following report to their Congressman, Senators and the White House encouraging the deployment of the BIDS detection equipment with our troops in the Iraqi theater!

For additional information on NBC (nuclear, biological & chemical) warfare, please see: Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defense posted by SUBCOM.

http://www.sbccom.army.mil/products/nbc.htm

Roger Young
The Northwest Veterans Newsletter

===============

"Pacer" Units Reportedly Never Deployed
During Gulf War

U.S. forces or U.S. Intelligence or someone,
did not want a real-time detection system
[for biological agents]
on the battlefield...LTC Schumaker

A Special Gulf War Illness Report by
The Northwest Veterans Newsletter
with information provided by
The Unified Veterans of America

September 1998

We now know that the Pentagon has admitted to the possibility of low-level chemical exposures during the Gulf War, or possibly from Allied demolitions of Iraqi bunkers. However all evidence of such exposures is generally referred to as anecdotal and chemical alarms from all equipment, no matter the sophistication, cannot be substantiated with a paper-trail. How convenient...

We also know that opinions of possible biological exposure, such as former CIA analyst Patrick Eddington and several doctors - notably Prof. Garth Nicolson - are purely opinions since I have found that the Allies had no means of detecting biological agents in the Persian Gulf.

But what I now find of great interest is a television report by the American Investigator, hereafter referred to as AI.. I have obtained a video-taped copy from a Mr. Joe Poe, Jr. (*)

Mobile Biological Sprayers

In the video tape, it is brought to the viewers attention that prior to the Gulf War, the Pentagon was most aware we did not have equipment that could produce real-time detection of biological agents. I was led to believe when questioning the detection of biological agents that such equipment did not exist. The AI report goes on to explain about mobile sprayers. These sprayers could be deployed in the rear of a pickup truck and dispense approximately 20 gallons of biological agent. AI reported that prior to the Gulf War the CIA had learned that Iraq had purchased 52 of these mobile sprayers from an unnamed allied government. In turn, according to the AI investigation and from information provided by a then active-duty Lieutenant Colonel, the CIA purchased two of these mobile sprayers for testing of their effectiveness prior to the Gulf War. CIA findings, according to AI, discovered that just TWO of these mobile sprayers deployed at the leading-edge of and offensive could result in the deaths of 100,000 Coalition Forces.

Pacers and PBS

The AI report centers on the reports of LTC Gerald Schumaker, Army, 91st Division and Vietnam veteran. It is a fascinating story to say the least. LTC Schumaker was part of a project to urgently update a biological detection system dating back to the mid-70's, known as Pacers. This antiquated Pacer system took a minimum of 18 hours to develop results. Obviously this would be of no value during a war, and thus a crash program was initiated to develop "real-time" testing that could provide such results.

According to LTC Schumaker, they accomplished that goal. But the PBS unit was never deployed to the Gulf despite repeated efforts by LTC Schumaker. Below is a transcript of what follows in the video. The transcript begins with LTC Schumaker's comments to AI regarding a scheduled meeting with a Lt. Gen Harrison. The purpose of this meeting was to persuade an apparently reluctant Lt. Gen. Harrison (the Commanding Officer) to deploy Schumaker's PBS unit to the Gulf prior to the shooting war.

LTC. Schumaker:

...On the third day I walked into General Harrison's office, to brief him, at a scheduled appointment. Lt. Gen. Harrison waived his hand at me and said; "Colonel I don't even want to hear about it. This project is dead and you are not going anywhere."

Comments: At this time in the video tape, AI points out that perhaps the PBS detection equipment was not needed in the Gulf ...because the troops had been vaccinated for anthrax. AI at this point stated that LTC Schumaker disagreed, and that the Colonel had reported that only 10% of the ground forces had received the anthrax vaccine. In fact it was made obvious that LTC Schumaker considered the widely publicized report of the anthrax vaccination as intended misinformation to Iraq. A report to make the Iraqis believe that the use of biological weapons would be of no value whatsoever.

The tape now goes back to LTC Schumaker...

LTC. Schumaker:

Three times in that conversation, General Harrison reached for the phone. One time he picked it up and actually started to dial it. Then he set it back down and said; ‘No Colonel, you and your team are not going.

AI:

Has there been a system in place that could determine whether biological weapons were ever used in the Gulf?

LTC. Schumaker:

The only capability the U.S. military had to even come close to real-time detection of biological agents on the battlefield never made it out of the warehouse.

When I read Department of Defense reports that repeatedly state; ...there is no evidence of biologicals used...in my gut...what goes through my mind...is that we never deployed the only capability we could have had to determine whether that fact existed or didn't exist.

AI:

Has there ever been a mention of the mobile biological sprayers in the public record, previous to this interview?

LTC. Schumaker:

Not anywhere I've ever read, in any document, in any place...

Comments: AI reported that four separate approaches to get interviews with the Pentagon had failed concerning the mobile sprayers. This included attempts to get an interview with Colin Powell and stated, why the reluctance to talk about this?

LTC. Schumaker:

I'm not suggesting that there is some massive conspiracy here of people who joined together to not talk about the sprayers. I mean, there is a handful of people who, for some reason...who haven't talked about the sprayers.

U.S. forces or U.S. Intelligence or someone, did not want a real-time detection system [for biological agents] on the battlefield.

"The very far extreme...was someone worried that detectors would go off, a lot?

AI:

Are you worried about personal repercussions?

LTC. Schumaker:

Yes I am. I intentionally did this interview before I retired from active duty because I resent the fact that so many officers and government officials such as McNamara and others, after they had nothing to lose, tell the world the way it really was.

I feel they could not have been a man of ethics and values if they wait until there are no risks to themselves.

AI:

Why are you coming forward with this story?

LTC. Schumaker:

We aren't trained to defend against this! And I can no longer sit idly by, wait another five years, another 10,000 soldiers going to the Gulf now, to say...˜Well, gee, if they really turn them on [the sprayers] I guess we'll have to deal with it.

We need to deal with it NOW before they turn them on. I think before we put our soldiers in harms way, again, we need to fix the problem. We need to develop the protection. We need to be able to defend ourselves. And most of all, we need to be able to treat those soldiers and their families that are now suffering.[End of video as I received it from Joe Poe, Jr.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roger Young -- The Northwest Veterans Newsletter

For additional information, contact Joe Poe, Jr.,

(*) - Joe first entered the Army in 1972 and served with honor his entire career which culminated following the Gulf War. Joe today, just a few short years following the Gulf War, is one Desert Storm veteran with a 100% disability, but not in spirit or intelligence! Mr. Poe is a member of the Unified Veterans of America, Inc. based in North Carolina which supports all veterans.

===============

cc: Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) -- Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, Veterans Organizations

Senate/Congressional Contact Information

Senate/Congressional E-Mail Directory
by webslingerZ and Jeffrey Hoffman

E-mail our President

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania, Ave.
Washington D.C. 20500-0001

Phone: 202-456-1414
Fax: 202-456-2461

http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html

Sempers,

Roger