View Full Version : From 'incorrigible' pupil to Marine

thedrifter
06-16-05, 09:18 AM
From 'incorrigible' pupil to Marine
Chandler officer helps student turn life around

Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 16, 2005 12:00 AM

Thomas Bell, 18, was what Chandler police Officer Earlonzo Hogue calls "an incorrigible" when he began the police-science class at Hamilton High School.

The second-year senior wasn't interested in academics. His mother thought he would work in a fast-food restaurant after graduation.

But it wasn't to be, and Hogue is why, Bell says. advertisement

"He's made one of the biggest impacts on me out of anybody," he said recently while on leave from the Marine Corps. "The world needs more people like him."

While a student, Bell closely watched Hogue and was struck by his care and concern for others. He knew Hogue served in the Marines and wondered if the military could change his life as it had Hogue's.

"He approached me one day after class, thanked me," Hogue said. "He said he was screwing up in other classes, screwing up at home. He said, 'I want to make changes. I'm going to graduate from Marine Corps boot camp, and once I do that, I'm career bound.' "

Bell took Saturday classes in addition to a full course load to finish school in December, just in time for Marine boot camp.

The training was grueling. In a letter to his mentor, he wrote that the demands were too great and he couldn't finish. A reply from Hogue helped him pull through, said his mother, Sherry Bell.

"He kept the letter in his footlocker, and whenever he was discouraged, he opened it up and looked at it," she said.

That encouragement propelled him toward March boot-camp graduation, which Hogue attended.

"We had no idea he was coming," Sherry said. "It just meant the world to us."

Since then, Bell has been stationed in Meridian, Miss., and awaits permanent assignment. He was recently granted leave to walk with his class at the Hamilton High graduation.

"It feels like my life has done a complete 180," Bell said.

Hogue couldn't be more pleased.

"I'm just as proud as if it's my own son," he said. "Everything he said he'd do, he did it. He's one of our success stories."

Chandler officer helps student turn life around

Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 16, 2005 12:00 AM

Thomas Bell, 18, was what Chandler police Officer Earlonzo Hogue calls "an incorrigible" when he began the police-science class at Hamilton High School.

The second-year senior wasn't interested in academics. His mother thought he would work in a fast-food restaurant after graduation.

But it wasn't to be, and Hogue is why, Bell says. advertisement

"He's made one of the biggest impacts on me out of anybody," he said recently while on leave from the Marine Corps. "The world needs more people like him."

While a student, Bell closely watched Hogue and was struck by his care and concern for others. He knew Hogue served in the Marines and wondered if the military could change his life as it had Hogue's.

"He approached me one day after class, thanked me," Hogue said. "He said he was screwing up in other classes, screwing up at home. He said, 'I want to make changes. I'm going to graduate from Marine Corps boot camp, and once I do that, I'm career bound.' "

Bell took Saturday classes in addition to a full course load to finish school in December, just in time for Marine boot camp.

The training was grueling. In a letter to his mentor, he wrote that the demands were too great and he couldn't finish. A reply from Hogue helped him pull through, said his mother, Sherry Bell.

"He kept the letter in his footlocker, and whenever he was discouraged, he opened it up and looked at it," she said.

That encouragement propelled him toward March boot-camp graduation, which Hogue attended.

"We had no idea he was coming," Sherry said. "It just meant the world to us."

Since then, Bell has been stationed in Meridian, Miss., and awaits permanent assignment. He was recently granted leave to walk with his class at the Hamilton High graduation.

"It feels like my life has done a complete 180," Bell said.

Hogue couldn't be more pleased.

"I'm just as proud as if it's my own son," he said. "Everything he said he'd do, he did it. He's one of our success stories."

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

GySgtRet
06-16-05, 10:51 AM
Talk about a positive influence. I salute Officer Earlonzo Hogue.

Semper Fidelis