PDA

View Full Version : Protests Break Out At Flag Day Ceremony

thedrifter
06-14-05, 06:29 PM
Protests Break Out At Flag Day Ceremony
Seven People Arrested During Protest

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Anti-war protests broke out at a Flag Day celebration in Cambridge Tuesday morning.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that celebration was supposed to be a happy event on Cambridge Common to mark the U.S. Army's 230th birthday in the very place where George Washington took command of the Continental Army.

At about 11 a.m. Tuesday, about 50 anti-war protesters were ordered to move from an area where a ceremony was set to take place. When they refused, police moved in and arrested three protesters. Most of the protesters are from the group Veterans For Peace.

The protesters said they are protesting the Iraq War and a Flag Day celebration that, they claim, aims to recruit more men and women to fight in a "useless war." They said there is nothing to celebrate.

"The United States Army has been involved for the last 40 years in oppressing people around the world and denying them their freedom and their democracy. So what is there to celebrate?" asked protester George Capaccio.

"We simply asked that they not interrupt a very important part of today's program," said Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy.

Protesters' chants interrupted the day's entire program, including the laying of the wreath by Undersecretary of the Army Raymond Dubois. Although the numbers for the all-volunteer Army are dropping, Dubois committed himself to not bringing back the draft.

"I'll make the promise as long as I'm around. But then again I think that's a decision above my pay grade. But I'll refer to you the president's own statement in this regard that there will not be a draft," he said.

By the time Tuesday's festivities were over, police had made seven arrests for unlawful assembly and disturbing the peace. All seven were arraigned in Cambridge District Court.

Ellie

These type of folks need a good lesson on, who gave them there freedom....

Now this pizzes me off....and there timing stinks...
:mad: