PDA

View Full Version : Army Deserter Back in U.S. 40 Years Later

thedrifter
06-14-05, 11:17 AM
Army Deserter Back in U.S. 40 Years Later

By JENNIFER KERR, Associated Press Writers
1 minute ago

A soldier who deserted his Army unit and crossed into North Korea returned to the United States Tuesday after 40 years.

Charles Jenkins arrived at Dulles International Airport here in midmorning en route to North Carolina, where he planned to see his ailing 91-year-old mother. He was accompanied by his Japanese wife and two daughters.

On arrival, Jenkins and his family were whisked to a connecting flight by police, who tried to keep the news media away from him. Jenkins initially declined to speak to reporters, saying he was under contract, though he did not elaborate.

Later, while Jenkins was waiting for a connecting flight to Richmond, an Associated Press reporter asked him how he felt being back after 40 years. "Very happy," he replied.

Asked if he was excited to see his mother, Jenkins said "Of course."

The frail 65-year-old was convicted in a court-martial and spent 25 days in a U.S. military jail in Japan last year.

"This has been a very emotional and special time," he said in a departure statement before leaving Japan. He requested privacy when he reunites with his mother at his sister's home.

"Upon arriving in the U.S., we will be picked up by my family and driven to my sister's house, where we will be staying all week," he said in the statement to the media. "I hope you will respect my family's privacy."

Jenkins has said he has no plans to move permanently back to his home country.

Jenkins traveled to Japan last July to be with his wife, Hitomi Soga, who was kidnapped by North Korean agents in 1978 but allowed to return home in 2002. The couple met in North Korea and had two daughters, Mika, 21, and Brinda, 19.

Public sympathy for Soga, who was abducted by spies when she was only 19, helped make her family's resettlement from North Korea to Japan a national cause. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi personally appealed to Pyongyang to allow Jenkins and their daughters to follow Soga to Japan.

The family has settled in Soga's hometown of Mano on Sado, a tiny island in northwestern Japan, where Jenkins has said he feels welcome and wants to live out his days, perhaps finding a regular job.

He is working on an autobiography.

Jenkins, a native of Rich Square, N.C., disappeared while on patrol along the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas. During his court-martial, he said he deserted because he was afraid of being sent to Vietnam. He pleaded guilty to desertion and aiding the enemy.

He has called his desertion a mistake, one that led to decades of deprivation and hardship in the isolated communist state. Jenkins, then a 25-year-old sergeant, said he drank heavily the night he decided to leave his men behind and walk across the border into the North.

He wasn't likely to find much sympathy in his hometown of Rich Square, N.C., however, where some were considering protests at what they called his betrayal of his country.

When Jenkins disappeared into the woods on patrol in the pre-dawn hours of Jan. 15, 1965, many in Rich Square believed he had been kidnapped. Even when the Army confirmed two weeks later that he had defected, some believed there had to be more to the story, that he was somehow coerced.

But ahead of his return, some in the town of 1,000 expressed anger.

Jenkins and his family plan to return to Japan on June 22.

Ellie

lucien2
06-14-05, 11:40 AM
Stay in Japan you f@#kin' traitor!

Namvet67
06-14-05, 12:17 PM
No sympathy from this Marine! "Afraid to go to Vietnam" Forget about it buddy...me and my brothers went in your place! How this guy can look himself in the mirror is beyond me! Go on back to Japan and live out what you got left of your worthless life!!!

lucien2
06-14-05, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Namvet67
No sympathy from this Marine! "Afraid to go to Vietnam" Forget about it buddy...me and my brothers went in your place! How this guy can look himself in the mirror is beyond me! Go on back to Japan and live out what you got left of your worthless life!!!

Easy bro, this puke was in the Army, figures!

Namvet67
06-14-05, 01:21 PM
I know he was in the Army lucien2....we went to Vietnam....Army or Marine...don't matter! I was afraid to go to Vietnam too...but i went anyway...then scared became ****ed! Nuf said...Semper Fi

lucien2
06-14-05, 02:05 PM
I am with you 110%, went in in 78 too late for Vietnam, got shot at a few times after and didn't like it but was willing and able to fight, and did! Semper fi bro!

Nagalfar
06-14-05, 02:36 PM
There is a good side to all of this.. he went to N. Korea LMAO... yea good choice! not sure we could even come up with a stupidity curve to even rate that move! too bad we dont hang or provide a ready, aim, fire salute to bastards like that anymore.. I guess the Army was too rough on him.

Joseph P Carey
06-14-05, 02:51 PM
Lucien and Namvet,

Both my Brother and I went to RVN, both Marines, I 65-66, my brother 68, we both came home on cots, with extended stays in a Naval Hospital, for that matter, the same hospital, and the same ward, for almost the same amount of time, just different years.

As far as I am concerned, Jenkins is a deserter. He is not only a deserter from the Army, but a deserter from his unit stationed in a truce zone of the DMZ in Korea. He knew the UCMJ when he took his walk into North Korea, it wasn't like he was Fresh Fish, he had some time in grade when he did it. He deserves to be tried as a deserter, but please don't send him to California to stand trial. I think we all have had enough of California justice for a while (heh heh! Just joking!), maybe, the military has a different prosecutorial level than does California.

BUT, I also think that John Kerry should be held accountable for the same crime as Jenkins is being held accountable for, and, if money can walk, like in the California justice system, and the story of John Kerry, so should Jenkins. If the system is not good enough for a Naval Officer, now a US Senator, than it is not good enough for an enlisted US Soldier that left his unit, and gave a lesser amount of aid and comfort to our enemies.

I know that I will hear from Yellowwing on this one, the defender of JK, lock and load and fire when ready, Michael, I am ready to defend myself and my words.

yellowwing
06-14-05, 03:47 PM
What! You think Jenkins could run for office? No, seriously, I've stated before JK has gravely disappointed me in his campaign efforts, or lack thereof.

My personal opinion of Jenkins is that he is a traitor. Especially now during this war, 25 days confinement is a slap in the face of anyone that earned a uniform, and definitely sets a bad precedent on desertion policies.

Joseph P Carey
06-14-05, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
What! You think Jenkins could run for office? No, seriously, I've stated before JK has gravely disappointed me in his campaign efforts, or lack thereof.

My personal opinion of Jenkins is that he is a traitor. Especially now during this war, 25 days confinement is a slap in the face of anyone that earned a uniform, and definitely sets a bad precedent on desertion policies.

Yeah! I guess Three and a half months of authoritarian leadership by an act of Congress in a war zone does not prepare one for the presidency after all! Am I right?

I know that this will come back and it will bite me in the butt later, but I agree with you Michael!

But, it is still more punishment than a certain Naval Officer received for much more as traitor. President Carter should have thought of this point you have made, when he Blanket-Pardoned all the traitors from the Vietnam War. They should have been made to earn their right back into the good graces of the country. I have no problem with dissenters, but they should be made to pay a price for their beliefs in their ideology. Community service like the CCC Camps of the Depression would have been a fair price to pay. President Carter reinforced the policy of disertion and non-service to one's country as a political tool.

Twenty-five days may not be much, but I would not even sentence John Kerry to live in North Korea for 40 years. That WOULD BE cruel and unusual punishment, and not in line with the Constitution of the United States of America.