PDA

View Full Version : Another Question

FutureDevilDog
06-27-02, 05:35 PM
I have a question about the Delayed Entry Program. If I join the Delayed Entry Program before my senior year of high school and then during the course of my senior year I get accepted to college, what do I do, do I go into the Marines and not into collge or what happens, I know I probaly sound stupid but my recruiter has not been in lately for me to ask him about this. I will appreciate any input I can get on this thanks.
Semper Fi!
-Chad

Gerard
06-27-02, 06:38 PM
The short answer is yes, if you are going active duty, unless you only go to college for one year...since that's as long as you can be in the DEP. Look into officer programs if college is definitely in your future. Also, you could enlist in the reserves, go to college, and be commissioned when you graduate in 4 years--I believe you'd have the opportunity to go active at that point if you chose to. There are few guy who are really up on this stuff (they've been down the same road) on another message board I visit members3.boardhost.com/teufelhunden (http://members3.boardhost.com/teufelhunden)

FutureDevilDog
06-27-02, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Gerard, I will visit that site, thank you for your help, I was planning on enlisting in the reserves and then going to get my commision through college but I wasn't to sure. Thanks again
Semper Fi!
-Chad

thedrifter
06-27-02, 10:25 PM
You can get a lot of info from the Marines on this site or do a search on the web.... I can tell you everyone can.....

God Bless

Roger

Sixguns
06-30-02, 06:16 PM
When you join the Delayed Entry Program, you have made a decision about your future. The Marine Corps is expecting you to honor your commitment. This is the reason why a recruiter will be sure to explain all the details of enlistment to you before you join. Once you join, you have made a pact with the Marine Corps. Now, if you are not a man (or woman) of your word, you may want to rethink joining the Marines.

What if you do get accepted to college? Wouldn't you like to have over $20,000 in GI Bill money to pay for it? Wouldn't you like to have the Marine Corps pay for 75 percent of all college level courses you take? Wouldn't you like to get your college degree AND four years of career/job experience in the same time that most people take to just earn their degree?

I got my education in the Marine Corps. Four years of college and a degree for less than $3,000. I have a number of job chools and training events that were all paid for in their entirety by the Marine Corps. "Free is me," is my motto. I f the Marine Corps is willing to pay for my training, I am wise enough to let them.

An education is important, no doubt. Having to pay for your college with no assistance was even more important to me.

Sixguns

Gerard
06-30-02, 08:24 PM
The cost is definitely something to think about...I have about $10 or 15 thousand in student loans. I am not a Marine, so what I say may or may not be worth two cents. Anyway, the understanding I have gotten from my recruiter about MY particular situation (which may not apply to you at all) is that some of my bill the Marines are willing to help me with, and some of it not. About the amount: that is a rather small amount of money as far as student loans go. Bank on paying about $10,000 a year total on the average college. Grants and scholarships generally chip into that amount some. I went to a school with a large and very generous scholarship endowment fund, and qualified for needs-based programs. Otherwise, I'd have paid closer to $60,000 for my stay there. Going to college first was the right decision for me, I wouldn't change a thing myself (except that I'd have not gotten sick and had to leave ;) ) But here's my two cents as a lowly poolee who has been down that road: think long and hard bud if you are going to join anyway, 'cause going without the generous benefits the corps offers is going to cost you. Also, another note, just in case I made it sound unclear, if you go into the DEP, definitely be a man and honor the commitment that you make. Don't commit to anything that will last longer than that. I was just saying that you COULD, if you just felt you HAD to, take JUST ONE year of courses. They'd be done in less than a year anyway, as the academic "year" lasts only 9 months. Good luck buddy. To the recruiters out there: feel free to knock my teeth in anyone if I am out of line here.

Sixguns
07-03-02, 05:26 PM
Gerard,

What you stated in your post is correct. Each individual has a different set of circumstances and conditions that influence them in the process of choosing the Marine Corps. No one is the same. In fact, this is why a Marine applicant is never treated like a number. The Corps is small. We are looking for only a few good men and women, not everyone. That is why a recruiter can personally tailor his presentations and discussions to your individual needs. If the recruiter can satisfy your needs, you join. If he can't, you don't. There are many variables to considering when enlisting. You need to make choices based on your goals and needs, not someone else's.

The reasons I joined the Marines are mine. You may not share them. But we can both be sure the Marine Corps will help each of us to achieve our individual goals. Let's face it, you can get job training, pay and benefits, college money and travel no matter what service you choose to join. The difference is that those who join the Marines are looking for more than that. They usually are seeking leadership training and opportunities, physical fitness, the pride of being one of us just to name a few. These are what we refer to as the intangible traits. These cannot be gotten elsewhere.

Sixguns