PDA

View Full Version : 2/7 confronts jungle warfare challenges

Shaffer
10-26-02, 08:50 AM
CAMP GONSALVES, Okinawa, Japan(Oct. 18, 2002) -- The morning air started to stir with the sounds of the jungle. The heat began to intensify as the sun rose to take its place high in the sky. What would start as the beginning of any normal day for Marines on Okinawa was anything but normal for Marines of Company G and Headquarters and Support Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division.

Looking over a rocky cliff, the Marines got a glimpse of the start of a grueling and challenging course called the "endurance course". The Marines had been preparing the past two weeks for the competition they were about to begin, and it would test them to new limits of endurance and motivation, according to 1st Sgt. Gerald D. Snelling, company first sergeant, Company G.

"The rough terrain really tested me because it really takes its toll on the body when moving through the jungle doing various stations," said Cpl. Christopher Hughes, company clerk, Company G.

The course starts with a hasty rappel down a cliff to a ravine, which challenges the Marines' fear of heights.

"One Marine was scared of the rappel tower," said Lance Cpl. Keith Russel, administrative clerk, Headquarters and Service Company. "In boot camp you overcome your fears, but they still may be with you. After this, you lose them."

At the ravine, Marines cross over onto a three-line bridge and then back onto a two-line bridge, which requires the Marines to work as a team and use skills they will need to master the course.

"I feel that the rope crossings were very useful because we will more likely use them again, and it required everyone to work as a team," Snelling said.

Both of these obstacles helped to demonstrate proper rope-handling techniques, according to Cpl. Jonathan Clark, fire team leader, Company G.

"(Learning how to tie a variety knots) was most useful because without knowing them you fall to your death," said Clark, a Pasadena, Texas native. "It made the hasty rappelling fun because you got to fly down hills."

Once the crossing is complete, they make another hasty rappel down a short slope. The course continues with patrolling through the jungle down a stream to encounter the next obstacle.

"The key was to stay motivated," said Russel, a Chicago native. "As long as we stayed motivated, we were going to make it through. It all comes with the training."

There are several other rope crossings: a cargo net obstacle and multiple water crossings that the patrol encounters before it comes to the highlight of the course - the "pit and pond".

"The smell of the mud and water that we were submerged in was nasty," Snelling said. "If I had to pick one area of the course that I liked, it would be the start because I was clean and had no clue about what I was about to venture into."

The "pit and pond" is a series of mud trenches, ponds and concertina wire barricades. The Marines must low crawl through the mud trenches, pull themselves a short distance along the bottom of a pond, and slide on their backs under concertina wire barricades.

A short path leads to the "stretcher carry", the final station in the course, and the "peanut butter", an area in the course that remains wet and muddy. The Marines make an improvised stretcher out of four utility blouses and tree limbs. Once constructed, a simulated casualty is then carried about a quarter mile along a trail in a ravine.

The winding trail leads downhill at the start of the course and uphill at the end, taking Marines through mud that often comes up to their waist. This part of the course really starts to test the Marines' endurance and motivation, according to Snelling.

"The stretcher carry was most challenging because motivation started to slack," said Cpl. Matthew Hasbrook, squad leader, Company G, and a Mishawaka, Ind., native. "Marines started to get down on themselves because they were tired and wanted it to end."

After carrying the stretcher to the top of the hill, Marines rushed to base camp where a refreshing washdown awaited them at the end of the course. That was the "best part", according to Lance Cpl. Robert Leibas, automatic rifleman, Company G.

"Coming across the finish line at the end was the best part, because we got to wash up," said Leibas, an Austin, Texas native.

"The sooner we get it done the sooner we go home," Cpl. Adam Hayat, heavy machine gunner, Company G, and St. Louis, Mo., native said.