PDA

View Full Version : GyG's Holy Sh!t Dept....

gunnyg
10-25-02, 12:44 PM
October 25, 2002 <br />
Pentagon to Test Digital Taps Device <br />
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS <br />
<br />
<br />
Filed at 12:05 p.m. ET <br />
<br />
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon, chronically short of musicians to play taps at military...

gruntsdotnet
10-25-02, 02:26 PM
What an amazing use of technology! Kudos to the DoD for giving this a try. This seems like a much better alternative to having Taps played on a boombox or not played at all.

gunnyg
10-25-02, 02:38 PM
toward indicating just how vain we can get!

gunnyg
10-28-02, 06:14 AM
From: MAJUSMCRET@aol.com | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 06:13:05 EST
Subject: MILINET: Resps "Pentagon to Test Digital Taps Device"
To:

27 October

MILINET: Resps "Pentagon to Test Digital Taps Device"

==============================

Anthony,

Let's fully automate the entire process. Just pull up to the gate of your local veterans cemetery (if there is one) and drop the veterans corpse into an appropriate sized bin. Digitally controlled robots will handle the rest of the process in a timely, cost efficient and dignified manner.

SF
RJI

-----------------------------------ANOTHER RESPONSE-------------

WELL NOW I HAVE HEARD IT ALL,IAM BEING REPLACED BY CANED TAPS.
I WAS A FIELD MUSIC IN THE CORPS FOR 11 YEARS AND PLAYED OVER 100
OF OUR FALLEN COMRADS.

[FT]

---------------------------------------------ANOTHER RESPONSE-------------

What kind of crap is this! Using such a device and
faux bugler would be an insult to the US
Servicemember, their grieving families and the rest of
the Veterans of America. Just another example of some
heartless (most likely never served in the military
forces) bean-counter trying to save some cash. I
would hope that everyone gives a unanimous "thumbs
down" on this one. I also would hope that periodicals
such the Marine Corps Gazette would give the author of
this proposal "nothing but darts" for such a stupid
and insensitive idea. If this proposal went through,
then we can only look forward to having a virtual
burial detail and other bs crap in the future. Though
on paper a burial detail and bugler seem money and
manpower intensive, it is nothing when one think of
the gratitude of the nation that our veterans have
earned with their sacrifices. Bottomline: Do not
change a thing, our veterans, at minimum, deserve a
proper burial detail.

...when I die, pin my medals upon my chest and tell my
momma that I'd done my best..."

TH - Germany

---------------------------------------END RESPONSES---------

MillRatUSMC
10-28-02, 08:41 AM
Well, they screw you when your alive.
AKA co-payments and deductibles to the VA.
Why not when your dead.
AKA a phony bugler.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

gunnyg
10-28-02, 08:50 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/777216/posts

gruntsdotnet
10-28-02, 09:23 AM
Wait a minute! Unless I missed something when I read this, they're not replacing buglers, they're replacing boomboxes and tape players. What the hell is wrong with trying to use technology to preserve the dignity of a funeral? What would YOU prefer if no actual bugler was available?

Someone pressing "play" on a boombox or a Marine pressing a button on a bugle and standing there while Taps plays?

I'd rather have a phony bugler than a boombox graveside. At least its more dignified.

gunnyg
10-28-02, 09:42 AM
may indeed have differing opinions from mine--perhaps even the majority.
But, that's as far as it can go w/me--these are opinions only! We're all entitled to our opinions as far as I'm concerned.

Myself, I opt for the real McCoy, and I pass on the varying degrees of phoniness.

It's the old story again of throwing the frog into the pot of boiling water, and having him immediately jump out; or, putting the frog into a nice, relaxing pot of warm water, and gently turning up the heat--until it's too late!

We're, at this stage of the game now, pretty much conditioned to just "choosing" (we think we're still choosing) the lesser of evils and taking pride in our "wise" decisions.

badbob
10-28-02, 02:12 PM
Nonthing can replace an actual bugler.

Even a poorly played Bugle is dignified by the person attepting to play it!

Just my opinion

Semper Fi,
Bob Neener

gunnyg
10-28-02, 02:17 PM
at least it's a decent opinion--should see some of those responses over on FR from the offspring of America's plastic society.

mrbsox
10-28-02, 09:42 PM
All I've asked for at my funeral, is two things....

Our National Anthem, at the begining..

... and Taps at the end.

What ever is done in between is up to the Family. But I want those two. I'm with Badbob.... I'd rather have a live Marine TRY and get it right, than technology going thru the motions.

What's next ..... a 21 firecracker Salute ??

Terry

JinxJr
11-27-02, 03:22 PM
For myself, I give less than a damn what happens over my cold bones. For my comrades, I will do all in my power to see that they get the respect they deserve. Is it too much to ask to spare a few minutes to honor the memory of one who dedicated a part of their life in the service of our country? This shouldn't even be an issue !

firstsgtmike
11-27-02, 04:06 PM
While I agree with all of the posted sentiments, one practical fact has been overlooked.

Because of the ages of WWII and Korean vets, veterans are dying at the rate of 1,000 per day. That rate will continue for the next 8 years before it begins to taper off.

The only way to ensure that a field music will be available, you better put your reservation in early.

SHOOTER1
11-27-02, 04:35 PM
practical my A**,if they wanted practical, they would have sent a robot to do my job in Nam, its bad enough, and gitting worse, Vet have lost benifits, they still wont agree on Agent Orange, and whatever was loose in Desert Storm, they talk about taking away the weapons used at the VFW used to fire salutes at burials, now they want to automate the Tapes, why in the Sam Hill dont they automate war and save everybody the pain and losses , pat you on the back when you go fight the wars, and stab you in the back when you come back, dead or aliave, excuse my ranting, but G****** give to the dead what is thiers..

CAS3
11-28-02, 07:10 AM
OK fellas, Here is my opinion.
If you definetly want TAPS played by a real MARINE...

Call your funeral director ahead of time.
They are capable of arranging all military funerals, down to the headstone issued by the VA.
If you know what you want when it is your time to meet the real Chesty, tell the funeral director.
Now, stop *****ing and take action.
That's all for now!

gunnyg
11-28-02, 08:07 AM
...Well!!!