PDA

View Full Version : Vets are upset over flag thefts

thedrifter
06-03-05, 06:39 AM
Vets are upset over flag thefts
By Thomas Geyer

FULTON, Ill. — Members of American Legion Post 402 say they are thoroughly disgusted with someone whose well of patriotism seems to have run dry.

As part of its Memorial Day celebration honoring America’s service men and women past and present, Post 402 placed newly purchased service flags on the town’s memorial monument at 11th Avenue and 4th Street.

Flags of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard along with Old Glory went up Saturday.

But by Sunday morning, four of the flags — Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard — were gone. All that was left was the Stars and Stripes and the Army service flag.

I guess somebody forgot what patriotism is all about,” said Clarence Kettler, commander of the Post 402. “This is nothing but the desecration of a war monument. It was a heck of a way to start the Memorial Day holiday.”

The post spent $375 on the flags and mounts.

“We just initiated the service flags and put six flag mounts on the memorial,” he said. “With the flags, we purchased white fiberglass poles that were gold-tipped.”

The poles had never-furl hookups so the flags would always be visible, he added.

“What a disgrace to our present and fallen heroes,” Post Adjutant Eugene Field said. “To the thieves, may this ever be on your conscience till your dying day.”

Fulton police are investigating the thefts, but the flags had not been recovered as of Thursday, Kettler said.

Memorial Day ceremonies went on as usual despite the missing flags.

“This did not defeat our weekend of flag displays,” Field said.

Kettler said the post will replace the flags.

“We push to get everybody to have a flag and to fly that flag,” he said, adding that America’s veterans make huge sacrifices to secure the nation’s freedom.

“We want people to remember the veterans that paid the price along the way,” he said.

Thomas Geyer can be contacted at (563) 383-2328 or tgeyer@qctimes.com.

Ellie

Chrscllhn
06-03-05, 07:19 AM
Thats sounds like one of the most upatriotic things someone can do. Does it make this person "cool" to have desecrated what so many of us have given our blood, sweat, tears, and blood for? Maybe the should join some of our boys in the desert and see how they feel afterwards!

Semper Fi!!

enviro
06-03-05, 10:56 AM
I came to work this morning to find my American flag had been stolen off the poles out front. They left the Texas Flag and company flag.

Bastards!

Patty_McOorah
06-03-05, 12:21 PM
I hope you find them, and place your shoe so far up thier a$$ they can floss with your laces. Little residential communist punk bastards.

CHOPPER7199
06-03-05, 12:45 PM
NO RESPECT FOR ANYTHING, EVEN THE ONES RESTING IN PIECE SO TO SPEAK. SAME KIND OF IDIOTS WENT INTO THE CEMETARY AND KNOCKED OVER STONES MARKERS AND ALL. YET IF THEY GET CAUGHT VERY LITTLE IS DONE TO THEM. PARENTS SEEM NOT TO CARE ABOUT RAISING THEM WITH ANY RESPECT AND MORALS. JUST MAY BE THE WAY THEY WERE RAISED. I DOUBT VERY MUCH IF ANY OF THE PARENTS OF THESE LITTLE OR BIG DEGENERATES DID ANY SERVICE FOR THEIR COUNTRY. JUST AN OLD GRUNTS OPINION

Ed Fleming
06-03-05, 01:43 PM
The local veterans groups, here, in my hometown have, incooperation with the city, erected a veteran's memorial park. The activity was done up properly and is a beautiful place to go and sit and relax. A part of the installation is flagpoles with the Old Glory and flagpoles with flags from all of the services. It has been re-done at least twice because the ungrates and drunks have stolen the flags and demolished the poles. We're going to do it again and this time I hope that they catch the jerks !!!