PDA

View Full Version : Covers- On or off?

Osotogary
05-31-05, 06:34 PM
Do any of you, who are no longer active, still take off your cover before you enter a building?
I still do but I was taught that before I ever considered going into the Armed Forces.

jinelson
05-31-05, 07:54 PM
I do Gary and I have found that most folks well follow my lead

Joseph P Carey
05-31-05, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
Do any of you, who are no longer active, still take off your cover before you enter a building?
I still do but I was taught that before I ever considered going into the Armed Forces.

LOL! Old habits die hard! I can't remember when it was I last wore a hat into a building, but I am sure the metal detectors would go off if I was would be still wearing a cover as I walked into a building to this date. I guess that would be a dead give away for me carrying to this day.

I also still walk to the right or the left of a person depending on his age or his importance to me.

Osotogary
05-31-05, 08:05 PM
Joeseph P Carey,
Doesn't the left or right, due to age and importance to you, have an oriental origin to it? I remember something about table settings, photograph placement and all being arranged by the "master of ceremonies"... so to speak.

Joseph P Carey
05-31-05, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
Joeseph P Carey,
Doesn't the left or right, due to age and importance to you, have an oriental origin to it? I remember something about table settings, photograph placement and all being arranged by the "master of ceremonies"... so to speak.

:-). I have been married to a Chinese woman and to a Japanese woman. You could be correct!

Wyoming
06-01-05, 09:44 AM
Only wear one when on the golf course, but it comes off inside.

Old habit I guess.

Can't really stomach the folks that wear a hat or cap while eating.

outlaw3179
06-01-05, 10:27 AM
I always take mine off before I eat....Im too scared that my old Drill instructor Sgt. Collins will jump out of nowhere and come over and puch me in the head .

Semper Fi

Ed Fleming
06-01-05, 02:50 PM
Nothing more disgusting than sitting in a restaurant and seeing the rednecks eating with their baseball caps on !!! I guess that their mamas did not ever tell them that it ain't proper !!

cjdoyle
06-01-05, 02:50 PM
Im still a young feller but if i was to wear one inside my grandma would slap me silly .... guess that is the way i was raised

Curt

marinemom
06-01-05, 07:56 PM
You know that you have been a Marine wife and mom too long when you are the first one of the group to take off the softball team cap when you to to the diner for the postgame feast.

troop901
06-01-05, 08:18 PM
I wear my ball cap and wear it with pride while eatin. In uniform, yes, I take my stetson off when enterin a buildin, even under arms. And ifin I took my cap off durin a meal growin up, my mom would have said, put that thing back on, yer drippin sweat into da food, grew up on a farm ya see and we was usually out workin till supper time. Then after supper we worked some more, dont worry bout da small stuff, a ball cap at supper might mean more then ya know.
SF

eddief
06-02-05, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Ed Fleming
Nothing more disgusting than sitting in a restaurant and seeing the rednecks eating with their baseball caps on !!! I guess that their mamas did not ever tell them that it ain't proper !!

I'll take off my cap in a restaurant where you're waited on. I keep it on at a fast food joint.

Patty_McOorah
06-02-05, 03:12 AM
The decision to take off or leave my cap on, all decides on how jacked-up my hair is at the time; now for some of you older marines, some of you dont have enough hair to worry about that. But I definately take it off when at a dinner table.

GySgtRet
06-02-05, 07:51 AM
Yes I do if I am wearing one. Patty_McOorah you arte correct about that too.

MillRatUSMC
06-02-05, 08:20 AM
It all depends, if there's room to store or place my cap.
I will remove it, but if there's no room or place, I will than keep it on.
If I think ahead, I will leave it behind in the car.
But like someone said;
Don't sweat the small stuff, there bigger fish to fry.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

PS
I would be in fear of my Drill Instructor coming in and putting a blow up-side my gourd.
It would say;
"I taught good enough, that you're able to make a judgement of what to do, when I'm not around."
Isn't that why we go through boot camp?
So we're able to make a judgement, when there's no one to help us.

MillRatUSMC
06-02-05, 08:22 AM
Should read;
I would not be in fear of my Drill Instructor coming in and putting a blow up-side my gourd.
It would say;
"I taught good enough, that you're able to make a judgement of what to do, when I'm not around."
Isn't that why we go through boot camp?
So we're able to make a judgement, when there's no one to help us.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Old Marine
06-02-05, 08:22 AM
Its pretty sad that at most sporting events, the announcer has to remind spectators to remove their hats for the playing of the National Anthem. Very sad indeed.

lucien2
06-02-05, 09:36 AM
I only wear one at the range, have to keep it on for safety reasons. (brass behind safety glases!)

hrscowboy
06-02-05, 02:39 PM
yeah right come to the dinner table with a hat on or no shirt and watch how far you get knocked back away from it ... It was my father rules and it still holds true here with my children..

Arlene Horton
06-02-05, 11:08 PM
The custom of men walking on the outside of his female companion (i.e. street side) was said to probably be from early pre-colonial times, probably in England and some other European countries developed because in those "enlightened" days the sewage disposal was usually in the street and very much of the time in the small villages, etc. they emptied "slop pails" and "thunder buckets" (indoor heads) right out of the upper windows. This was probably also before the popularity of those "cute little old houses with the quarter moon carved in the door". SF Arlene (Remember, I am OLD!