PDA

View Full Version : Marine tank's biblical name draws hefty criticism

Ed Palmer
05-27-05, 08:34 AM
I couldnt find the picture

( no matter how right it might be, the PRESS ,say we are still wrong )
( PHUCK EM)

Marine tank's biblical name draws hefty criticism

By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

"New Testament": It's a mighty name for a 70-ton battle tank.
The biblical words are neatly printed on the main gun of an M1A1 Abrams tank rolling along somewhere near Haditha, Iraq. To the Marines of the 4th Tank Battalion, "New Testament" is a fierce beacon and impervious to insurgent mortar fire.
But some critics grumble that an official photo of the tank accompanies a Marine Corps press release about the company's mission with a caption that reads, "The 'New Testament' ... prepares to lead the way during a recent mission." The name of the tank is not mentioned in the story.

The Marine Corps declined to comment yesterday. Not so the pundits.
"When our own military seems to be advertizing an explicitly Christian identity in Iraq, then it's time [President Bush] took action. Whoever in the marines allowed this tank to be defaced in this way needs to be removed from his post. It's an outrage -- to both the New Testament and to our mission in Iraq," Andrew Sullivan, senior editor at the New Republic, wrote Tuesday at his own Web site (www.andrewsullivan.com).
Filmmaker Michael Moore cited the story, posting the photo online (www.michaelmoore.com) with the Marine directive, "This image has been cleared for release."
"What bothers me is that no one put a stop to this display of ignorance and disrespect before it was included on the official website for the Marine Corps," noted an entry at the Web log Evangelical Outpost (www.evangelicaloutpost.com).
Others called the outrage an overreaction.
"Sometimes all you have left is faith on the battlefield," said the Rev. Charles Nalls, a former military officer and vicar of the Parish of Christ the King in the District.
"On the one hand, given the volatility in the region, perhaps there might have been a better name. But this is not obscene or vile. There's a long history of soldiers, sailors and airmen naming weapons of war, or using helmet art. This is probably nothing more than that. They wanted a name and that was the one they chose," he said.
Names have proved a challenge in the war on terror. In 2001, Islamic groups faulted the Defense Department for giving the U.S. military response to September 11 the name Operation Infinite Justice. The Defense Department instead opted for Operation Enduring Freedom.
An uproar was created in 2003 when photos of bombs humorously addressed to Saddam Hussein, some with expletives, were published and broadcast.
A Marine spokesman could not cite regulations governing the names of battlefield vehicles. Naming policies apparently vary.
Classes of U.S. Navy ships are named after rivers, cities, towns, American battles and presidents, according to the U.S. Naval Historical Society. Aerospace vehicles must "characterize the mission" and not violate commercial trademarks, the Defense Department said. The Army has a similar policy.

Barlow
05-27-05, 08:41 AM
Nothing wrong with the name " New Testament " ! Original by golly.

dgallagher
05-27-05, 08:59 AM
Now, let me get this straight! The tank was defaced? It doesn't say, "The New Testament"; how about "Ol' Testamnet"? (below)

"Whoever in the marines allowed this tank to be defaced in this way needs to be removed from his post. It's an outrage -- to both the New Testament and to our mission in Iraq," Andrew Sullivan, senior editor at the New Republic, wrote Tuesday.

I love it when the creeps come out of the woodwork, let them complain; and ignore it!

dg

Osotogary
05-27-05, 09:04 AM
If they had added " King James Version" I could possibly see a problem but "New Testament" doesn't just have a religious connotation.
I think that some folks ought to: 1) find better things to do with their lives and 2) lighten up.

paquick
05-27-05, 09:18 AM
I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU FOLK'S MORE.IT'S JUST SOMETHING FOR PEOPLE BACK HERE IN THE STATES THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN IN ANY BRANCH OF THE SERVICE TO "BRAVO INDIA TANGO CHARLIE HOTEL" ABOUT.
+++
SEMPER FI ALL

Ed Palmer
05-27-05, 10:18 AM
Lets just take the old testement off and put THIS IS MUHAMMAD SPEAKING LISTEN VERY CLOSE do you think that would pizz them off to

Osotogary
05-27-05, 10:42 AM
How about "Been Laden"? or "Been Ladin"?

Laden - adj.: loaded, burdened
Ladin - 1: Romansh 2: one speaking Romansh as a mother tongue.

Talk about really pizzing someone off. LOL. TS!!

outlaw3179
05-27-05, 11:49 AM
Who Cares...I find it disrespectful to be hit by an IED . Im pretty sure all the guys who got their heads cut off probably thought that was kind of disrespectful.

mrbsox
05-27-05, 12:37 PM
I would be inclined more towards OLD TESTEMENT myself, as in

slaying the livestock, dogs and cats
Biblical style victory.

When the Lord MY God led the 'chosen' people into battle, it was for TOTAL victory. Complete analiation.

But, alas, they did not head the words of the Lord, and again were persecuted by their enemies.

If they want JIHAD, I say the old fashioned way, the OLD TESTEMENT way.

But... alas, I'm just a poor southern redneck.
Dohhhhhh !!!!
Better make that LEATHER NECK :marine:

hrscowboy
05-27-05, 04:07 PM
yehawwww and eye for eye and a tooth for a tooth its time for a lynchin party and i have the ropes and plenty of tall oak trees,, let hang high

Joseph P Carey
05-27-05, 05:57 PM
I truth gentlemen, if this bothers them, the words 'New Testiment' written on a tank, I wonder how they feel about the words 'Devil Dogs'? Maybe, 'Hell's Angels' has a more so pleasant ring for them?...

hrscowboy
05-27-05, 09:32 PM
I wanna hang some muzzies

jryanjack
05-28-05, 06:38 AM
Agree with Shaffer - how about 'Hammer of Allah'? Or maybe 'Judgment Day'? That implies the true mission of an M1A1 main gun!

Maybe there's something to compulsory service - if Michael Moore's fat behind stood a post he wouldn't be so quick to talk out his azz!

Joseph P Carey
05-28-05, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by jryanjack
Agree with Shaffer - how about 'Hammer of Allah'? Or maybe 'Judgment Day'? That implies the true mission of an M1A1 main gun!

Maybe there's something to compulsory service - if Michael Moore's fat behind stood a post he wouldn't be so quick to talk out his azz!

I don't know, Is it, "...Though we walk through the Valley of Death, We shall fear no evil."

I think the tank makes a statement. I am not a religious guy, but anything that we determine to be EVIL (Every Violation In the List) should be made to fear this Big Dude. The 'New Testiment' reads plainly enough, We are not going to take it any longer! We are going to hand it out. The name fits.

As far as MM, I would not want him on any post of mine protecting my people.

lucien2
05-28-05, 06:27 PM
Replace it with "blood-lust".

hrscowboy
05-28-05, 06:51 PM
God Cometh and god taketh

Devildogg4ever
05-29-05, 08:24 AM
Just plain stupid!!! They have a war going on, too bad thats not the only thing they have to worry over!

yellowwing
05-29-05, 03:25 PM
Marines Remove Biblical Reference from Battle Tank
Yellowwing Press, 29 May 2005
by Michael Kannon

Iraq - Marines from the 4th Tank Battalion have removed the biblical reference of "New Testament" from one of their 70 ton main battle tanks.

Political pundits have been widely critical of the US Department of Defense allowing overt Christian slogans on military equipment.

"We feel that it is insensitive to the insurgent's moral values," replied one UC Berkeley anti-war activist.

An unnamed sergeant from the 4th Tank Battallion had this to say, "We were going to go with 'El Rushbo', but decided on this new name instead."

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
05-29-05, 07:52 PM
THE NAME "NEW TESTAMENT" (ON THE TANK) SHOULD BE MUCH LARGER AND IN ARABIC SCRIPT TO BOOT, OR CHANGE IT TO ARMAGEDDON.

HOW SOON THE IDIOTS AND PERVERTS FORGET WHAT BROUGHT ABOUT ALL OF THIS MISERY IN THE FIRST PLACE. I DON'T SEE WHERE THEY (THE 5TH COLUMNISTS) ARE TAKING ANY TRIPS TO THE MID EAST AND AFGHANISTAN.

:marine:

TazMatt
06-02-05, 09:41 AM
I don't think it really matters what the press or anyone else says about the name they didn't ask us if we wanted to be destroyed by airplanes or anything else they just attacked without anybody's opinion:marine:

c5down2
06-02-05, 11:34 AM
What are these PC groupies waiting for, the so called poor defenseless insurgents to once again come into their own backyard before they stop caring about what these terrorists think. Hello? They are blowing up their own people in their religious mosques that they were so fired up against us destroying. They don't need us to destroy them they are destroying themselves. What I don't understand is where are all the nationals and their loyalty to stop their fellow countrymen from killing their families. We are right there to help them overcome what better time than now. But hey let's forget about all that and worry about offending someone's opinion's while our brothers and sisters get shot all to H while they try to get their names in the paper for exposing the "real criminals", Too bad these journalsists don't somehow get left behind without us to cover their backs as they are too busy trying to cover the real story. Jeeez! Some people's kids. I tell you what! America's a free country, you can leave anytime.

TazMatt
06-02-05, 02:23 PM
Maybe I was misunderstood about what I posted.To clear it up I was saying leave the name on the tank and go use it to blow the hell out of the insurgents with it because it really doesn't matter what you call something you use it and destroy what you are aiming for.:marine:

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
06-03-05, 12:43 PM
MORE ON THE TANK and a COUPLE OF OTHER OBSERVATIONS

The prattle being made by the press, and other poges and numbnuts around the good ol' US of A is nothing more than puffing for their own edification. These are the same people that have never found anything good about the military, or America for that matter. They say the name on the tank "defaces government property." I have yet heard,or seen, anything in the media when the Chaldean's destroy or damage one of our vehicles, the same can be said when our troops are maimed or killed (Are they not "government property" too?). They fault the US for these actions.

On another matter. I wonder what the folks in harms way think about the American Fire Drills (the Chinese lost the title after 9/11) taking place in Washington D.C. I speak of the recent small, private plane (a Piper Cub I believe) that flew in to restricted airspace (the entire metro, area)? It seemed that all govenment personnel were told to panic and run for cover (but don't try to find shelter in the rat's warren of tunnels and bunkers under the nations capitol). I bet ol' Saddam was green with envy at the accommodations prepared for OUR leaders. In any event, I expected Godzilla to come stomping down Pennsylvania Avenue meteing out death and destruction.

I mean really, these are the same people who sent our military on the current mission (and direct the actions too). Is it too much to ask that they share some of the real dangers being encountered in the third world rather than ducking for cover everytime someone breaks wind? I am sure that all of this is not lost on our adversarys, and just like the unfortunate incident in Asia a few years back, stiffen their resolve. Come on bureaucrats, stiffen your backs,

This is all I have to say about this – God bless you all.

Semper Fi

:marine:

arzach
06-07-05, 08:32 PM
Sox and Joe carey and the rest are in the 'V' ...'laden, ladin or LOADIN'...round out...New Testament is easy on them, let them deal with the Old Testament....Let the Tankers Roll.