PDA

View Full Version : 'OpFor' for MOUT Training

mrbsox
05-24-05, 12:00 PM
I've got a chance to be an 'OpFor' participant for M.O.U.T Training for some 'doggies' at Ft Knox.

Has anyone done it,

got any suggestions,

do's and don'ts,

can and can't get away withs ??

This is gonna be SO COOOOOoooLLL :bandit:

Osotogary
05-24-05, 12:58 PM
Military Operations on Urban Terrain?
Terrific news. I have no doubt that you
will distinguish yourself among your peers.
Can't help you with any suggestions..I'm just
passing on my best wishes.
Gary

LivinSoFree
05-24-05, 01:01 PM
Oh MAN... I'm seriously jealous... that'd be some CRAZY SH*T!

yellowwing
05-24-05, 02:07 PM
Give 'em Hell! Make sure they get a good training experience. :evilgrin:

mrbsox
05-24-05, 02:43 PM
Been 20 plus years since I did 'ROMPnSTOMP'. But that was just riot control stuff. Been reading up on some of the tactics being developed in the sandbox.

If they give me a 'script', and tell me to 'play nice with the soldiers', I may walk.
We'll just have to see how much 'thinking', adapting, reacting, they want to instill.

Ther should be paintball too !!!

Terry

USMCgrunt0331
05-24-05, 02:56 PM
Probably SIMS rounds is what you'll use, which is like paintball. They install a kit onto actual rifles and pistols, and it fires paint rounds, but they work better and are more accurate than paintballs.

yellowwing
05-24-05, 03:00 PM
If they give me a 'script', and tell me to 'play nice with the soldiers', I may walk.
Yes, definitetly listen and abide by the safety protocals. But if they do pansy-script your part, just smile and nod your head and then go ahead and kick ass! :yes:

mrbsox
05-24-05, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing

Yes, definitetly listen and abide by the safety protocals. But if they do pansy-script your part, just smile and nod your head and then go ahead and kick ass! :yes:

LOL :D

I was kinda thinking the same thing.
What are they gonna do.... cut my hair and send me to Okinawa ?? :banana:

Underleft
05-24-05, 05:38 PM
Im on my way to Guam to train seabees in MOUT. If sim rounds are involved it should be fun. At the instructors course they had plastic bags up for walls to simulate being able to shoot through the walls. That was crazy. hope you have a good time.

mrbsox
06-09-05, 04:34 PM
24 Hours till I report for my first 'Role Player' game. Been boning up on hand and arm signals (want to read what they are fixin to do), thinking sneaky, doing a lot of grinning :D

1700 to 0200. I figure there will be a daylight run, and then one in the dark with NV goggles.
Got my SureFire ready to go.

Does anybody know about 'SIMUNITIONS' ?? Is this the same as paintball (.68 cal) just adapted onto a real weapon ??
Effective Range ?? Able to 'Snipe' with it well ??

Anything will help 'play nice with the soldiers' :P

USMCgrunt0331
06-09-05, 04:42 PM
Simunitions is kits they put in a actual pistols and rifles, that shoot a paint-tipped round. They don't use air or co2 like paintballs, or motors and gas like airsoft. They load into a magazine just like regular rounds, the ranges are really good, I know I've seen them hit relatively accurate at around 100 yds, they can hurt like hell when you get hit with them, and they shoot really straigt and accurate. Even the pistols work well. However, don't wear anything you don't want to get stained cause I never did get the pink and orange out of my cammies from months ago.

yellowwing
06-09-05, 06:51 PM
Get Some, mrbsox!

mrbsox
06-12-05, 04:27 PM
The evenings festivities were called at the last minute due to weather. As we were going thru the area, being pointed out all of the pyrotechnics and final safety breifing, it was called off.

The sceinero was for the troops to 'fast rope' into the town, looking for this bad guy. We were ALL non-combatants. Just town folk for them to have to deal with, and protect if necessary. Any way, by the time to 'Op' was over, the blackhawks would not have been able to get back out.

Gonna try again Monday evening. They had us (@ 30) all decked out in bed sheets and head wear. The several females (regulars at this) were in role too, some were issued 'babies' to protect at all cost, etc.

More to come.

Terry

yellowwing
06-12-05, 04:38 PM
Geez- too bad. You could have played the part of the canterous patriarch deeply offended that they were looking at your wives! ;)

mrbsox
06-14-05, 02:28 AM
Danm this ol fat guy is out of shape.
But we made them work for it.

We had about 2 dozen 'privates' in their last couple of weeks of basic show up for 'town folk' :no:
Sorry lookin lot they were. I got paired up with one that couldn't even tell me which way was EAST... and the sun was setting.

But anyway...

A company fast ropes into town, and they start lighting up everybody they see that is moving. I was setting behind some cover, just setting there, and took three sim rounds in the leg.
But about a half hour into it, their running around blowing doors and clearing buildings. I'm just sitting there minding my own buisness and get 'detained'.

All I could remember was the CODE OF CONDUCT. No info from me. They didn't get too rough, they knew we were volunteers. But listining to their radio chatter, they didn't know which way was North of town. :p While detained, I was sure to remind the pvts to remember the 'Code of Conduct'.
They acted like they didn't know WTF I was talking about.

It was a blast, can't wait to do it again !!

Semper Fi

mrbsox
08-11-05, 08:26 PM
SITUATION AWARENESS

Took about 3 hits from my 9:00 No one on my 6.

SIMUNITIONS , subcaliber paint rounds at point blank will draw blood :dazed:

http://C:\My Documents\My Pictures\MOUT shot.jpg

The lesson is don't trust your senses alone. I KNEW there was going to be 2 explosive breaches, but only heard one. The troops had blown both doors simultaniously. I was watching 2 stair wells when I SHOULD have been watching the 3rd. I didn't THINK they had entered my building yet, and were going to come from across the street. I left my 6 wide open.

But had a BLAST !!! :marine:

mrbsox
08-11-05, 08:40 PM
Pic won't show up ???

Waz up ???

yellowwing
08-12-05, 08:09 AM
OUCH!
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/MOUT.jpg

mrbsox
08-23-05, 08:15 AM
Thanks for getting the picture up for me YW.

Got another 'bout with MOUT' Thursday evening. Learning as I go. I've been trying to read up on URBAN tactics, and watching how stuff gets implemented. Have to overcome the 'shock and awe' factor, because things progress rapidly.

Keeping in mind that the troops MUST learn that the tactics they use work, I'm just hoping to make them earn their way. And yes.... I'll die again :marine:

Terry

Osotogary
08-23-05, 10:46 AM
Can you implement your own traps? You know what I mean...stalling, delaying traps (loose floor boards, trip strings etc?)

mrbsox
08-23-05, 01:05 PM
Naw... not much.
They put the 'ki-bash' on improvising too much stuff. They are real strict about scenario and what roll to play. We have even been warned about bringing little laser pointers... if it's NOT in the training schedule, it doesn't happen.

But there are LOTS of pyrotechnics around, gas bombs, RPG's from windows, roadside bombs, etc... as the mission requires.

Oh... and CHAOS.... LOTS of chaos !!

mrbsox
11-06-05, 09:01 AM
Still going at it. Getting better as I learn the terrain of the city, the scenarios (sp) they run, etc. Got a few more souviners (scars) too. Took a few sim rounds the other night, but they paid dearly getting to me. I don't mind 'dying a glorius death', and shedding blood, as long as I know the troops learn from their mistakes.

I generally set up an 'alamo' area in a room, and retreat into there as they advance through the building. But I hit 'em every step of the way. They breech the door, and get a few rounds.
They enter the stairwell, and get a few rounds.
A few more as they enter a hallway (hot hallways are always fun)
But when they enter my alamo room, they BETTER check EVERY corner, every nook, and NOT stand still until then.

The last run we had, the city put on a 'Blackhawk down' situation, complete with down chopper (huey) to be recovered, burning tires, the whole smear.
We caught them in a cross fire down 'Ambush Alley', and the cadres (safety officers) came around before it was done, and made us stop shooting, so they could finish the job :banana: and pull out.
I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for THAT debreifing :marine:

Besides the fun and games, I think I have found something I've been looking for since OIF II started.
A way to help, within the time I have available with work.
A way to make a difference, in a training environment.
And I pray, a way to save lives when they get there.

We haven't sponsored a Marine unit yet, mostly Army and some Navy. One SEAL unit was really on their game a month or so back.

Semper Fi

yellowwing
11-06-05, 09:05 AM
Eat them up!

bigdog43701
11-06-05, 12:49 PM
remember one thing...you train like it's the real thing. in combat when the s$#t hit the fan you will ALWAYS resort to your training. THINK, be imagative when being OPFOR what you do may save a "doggies" life someday.

This wisdom was relayed to me back in 1970 bt GySgt PEREZ in boot camp. I still live by it today and it helped me walk out of the jungle in 1972.

mrbsox
11-06-05, 07:36 PM
remember one thing...you train like it's the real thing. in combat when the s$#t hit the fan you will ALWAYS resort to your training. THINK, be imagative when being OPFOR what you do may save a "doggies" life someday.

This wisdom was relayed to me back in 1970 bt GySgt PEREZ in boot camp. I still live by it today and it helped me walk out of the jungle in 1972.

Always in the front of my mind.
What can I make him aware of, what can I do that he will remember.
If I 'clean his clock', because he didn't clear a corner behind a file cabinet, then he will ALWAYS see that corner when he clears a room. He'll tell his buddies about cabinets, desks...

But in the end, before the night is out, I will DIE !!

Because he MUST KNOW, in his soul, that the training he is receiving WORKS.
It works, and saves lives, and accomplishes missions.
And ensures MY CHILDREN a safer world to raise their kids in.

And then all the scars and bruises, and blood and sore muscels... are worth it.

Terry

greensideout
11-06-05, 08:46 PM
Where was this at sox? Interesting that civilains would be involved in training.

greensideout
11-06-05, 08:54 PM
Never mind sox, I just went back to read Ft Knox. (Shot by a "doggie"---learn anything?) LOL

mrbsox
11-07-05, 07:03 AM
Where was this at sox? Interesting that civilains would be involved in training.

They use us as roll players. Sometimes town folk, some times shooters, sometimes shop keeper... What ever they need for the training mission.

Not a lot of info on the net about the place, they keep it under wraps so troops cannot get a feel for it before coming to play.
An embassy compound, bank, radio station, sewers, condos, church, mosque, hotel, rail head, bomb factory... a whole little town.

Alleys, pyrotechnics, rubble, blowup bridge, falling phone poles, car bombs... They have cars that they block the streets with (and scrap after the M1A1s 'compact' them), a helo for 'BlackHawk Down' training, tracks, and some 'technicals' that roam the streets firing on the fly.

I love it !! :evilgrin: :banana: :evilgrin:

mrbsox
09-06-06, 05:20 PM
Still at it.

Have achieved "PREFERRED SHOOTER" status :banana:

When the ROE for the evening is laid out, myself and a couple of co-workers get put into specific roles. Sometimes low key but crucial to the training script, sometimes what we refer to a 'free radicals'. Just roam the area and keep them on their toes.

But it's all about BRINGING THEM HOME ALIVE !

Just not tonight :D :flag:

mrbsox
05-10-07, 09:42 PM
Interesting night, and caused time for reflection.

This last go round was a bit unique in that they brought in some troops from Ft Knox TANKERS school detachment to add town numbers to the nights activities:

about 15 young Devil Dogs :usmc:

Got to chatting with some of them before and between some of the action. Proud everyone, but some a bit nervous. Perhaps a bit unsure of themselves being in a strange situation and all, but there none the less.

My E.A.S. was before these young bucks were even born. Reminded me I'm getting ready to turn 50.:scared: But it also reminded me of the brotherhood, the 'second to none' Esprit de Corps, the legacy that these young green blooded Americans are carring on. And it put little more 'pep in the step' for these old bones to have a chance to work with, point out, direct, and offer some 'sage' wisdom.

And when it was all said and done, at 0030 in the morning, before getting off the bus at the parking lot, I offered a few words to the group;

"From the heart of an OLD Marine, you'll hear alot of hype and trash from the media, but know that you are creating a better world to live in. A better world for our families, our kids, and their kids. Thank you, SEMPER FI."

And that goes out to you 'young bucks' reading this, and you 'ole Corps types too.
SEMPER FI :flag: