PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Dan Rather?

USMCgrunt0331
05-19-05, 07:45 AM
On a previous thread about defective vests i started, the subject somehow came to Dan Rather, and everybody had some pretty bad things to say about him. I was just wondering why everybody hates him so much and what he did to p!ss everyone off? I tried lookin up his Marine Corps career but couldn't really find anything.

Osotogary
05-19-05, 08:20 AM
USMCgrunt0331,
Hate Dan Rather? Think of Newsweek. They were both good at one time, to the point of reaching Icon status in their respective fields and then, somehow, they started reporting unfounded mis-information, which severely nicked away at their credibility. I don't know if hate is a good word to use but mistrust sure would be.

CHOPPER7199
05-19-05, 08:40 AM
AGREE GARY, MISTRUST SURE SOUNDS CORRECT, AS WITH THE W.M.D. THAT SURE IS ANOTHER STORY.

arzach
05-19-05, 08:44 AM
If memory serves me right, danny rather washed out as a Marine...went on to biased reporting of the VietNam War(along with a damn lotta other so called journalists), swung even farther left and attempted to smear Dubya. NewsWeek will never be held accountable for running a FALSE story about GitMo, they will in my mind, be unbelieveable henceforth! Reporting a story that is factual is the responsibility of the reporter...otherwise it becomes yellow journalism on the same level as the supermarket tabloids.

USMCgrunt0331
05-19-05, 09:10 AM
Why does everybody keep sayin he washed out as a Marine?

OLE SARG
05-19-05, 10:55 AM
Info I have, says he did. rather couldn't hack it as a man and/or a Marine. Apparently, he couldn't hack it as a journalist!!!!!!!!!
He kinda had two faces!!

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

Osotogary
05-19-05, 11:02 AM
This might shed some light. <br />
<br />
Expert: Dan Rather Exaggerates Military Record <br />
Wes Vernon, NewsMax.com <br />
Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2002 <br />
One of the nation’s top military researchers is angry that CBS News...

LivinSoFree
05-19-05, 11:04 AM
While he certainly bears some responsibility for screwing up on the story- the reality of it is that there was no lasting impact as a result. An EXTREMELY THOROUGH retraction was issued once fact checkers found it to be a hoax, and now everyone knows the facts. Dan Rather has been a FINE journalist for many years, and one I've come to thoroughly respect. I watched him during the hours and days following the September 11th attacks, and that man stayed at his post RELENTLESSLY, in excess of a couple days without a break, if I recall. His ability to convey the humanity of a situation and report the news in such a way as to put life into it is a rare thing. Personally, I think all this hate and discontent surrounding him is a gross overreaction and the result of playing politics- Republicans didn't have anything else to draw negative attention to, so they seized this as an opportunity and- you guessed it- through the media made a massive mountain over what is in reality a mistake that had zero net effect over the long term. Personally, I'm slightly amused at how this has been blown out of proportion as a "sign of the corrupt liberal media," when, in fact, it is the conservative side of the media which has given this all its bluster. Without Fox News and The Washington Times, this would have been dealt with respectfully, facts would have been corrected, an apology would have still been issued, and a fine journalist would still be at his post.

Maybe I'm the odd duck here, but I really don't care. It p*sses me off to no end to see a guy with a career like that railroaded because of that kind of a mistake that, had the political climate of the nation been any different, would have been dealt with in a much more reasonable fashion, but because we as a nation have gotten our collective panties in a wad over the "godless liberals suppressing the helpless moral majority," he suffered a much worse fate.

The above quoted source- "NewsMax" is just as bad as "Newsweek" in terms of bias, it just sits at the opposite end of the scale with blowhards like Rush Limbaugh and Matt Drudge- THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE, IT'S THE SAME GAME ON TWO DIFFERENT SIDES OF THE SPECTRUM!

arzach
05-19-05, 11:22 AM
Maybe I'm the odd duck here, but I really don't care. It p*sses me off to no end to see a guy with a career like that railroaded because of that kind of a mistake that, had the political climate of the nation been any different, would have been dealt with in a much more reasonable fashion, but because we as a nation have gotten our collective panties in a wad over the "godless liberals suppressing the helpless moral majority," he suffered a much worse fate.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LSF, unwad your own panties and read Old Sarge's post...beginning to end. rather was and is a puke. He ended his 'career' the way he deserved, in shame, his biased reporting along with 'uncle wally' led to the prolonging of the VietNam War, our 'so-called defeat' and thousands of needless deaths in VietNam and cambodia...call it dominoes in reverse.

rather ain't spit

Osotogary
05-19-05, 11:48 AM
LivingSoFree,
Personally, Dan Rather always seemed squared away to me when I was watching him on the tube in my yesterday youth. (What did I know then? What do I know now? LOL) He always used to ask some very tough questions to some very influential people. That alone probably got a whole lot of people pizzed off at him. I wasn't aware of his "military" claims until ...maybe, at the most, two years ago. As long as he reports the facts as they are and not as they are fabricated I have no problem at all with his reporting. (This is a criteria that I use for all reporters on all sides of the spectrum). I think most viewers would be happy just to hear the essential truth reported from any unbiased reliable source. Of course that's the problem nowadays...Reliability and who or what is behind that reliability. Often times the scapecoat becomes the reporter justifiably or not. (That's where the "railroading" comes into play.) Perhaps, to some, Dan Rather was railroaded - after all he was retirement age. But right now the only reason that I copied and pasted the NewsMax article is because it had the potential to answer the question about Dan Rather's claims to being a Marine. I couldn't find any other articles that would validate Mr. Rather's claims that he was a Marine.
That's about it.

Lock-n-Load
05-19-05, 11:55 AM
:marine: It was revealing reading the above posts...98% anti-Rather [I agree] with the Ole Sarg and arzach posts...jeeez, I was in Korea getting my arse shot off and Dandy Dan Rather was eyeballs deep in pots and pans in some pansy Army Reserve [week-end warriors] in the Big PX, WoW, real rough duty...I have no sympathy what-so-ever for his nefarious methods of delivering the news to America for decades..he deserves to see his luster turning green with rust and fading fast into oblivion...I pray the silence to his bloated/pompous ego is deafening to his last breath...just another no good phony exposed...the weak SOB couldn't even make through MCRD, his DIs saw early and first hand, what he was made out of...Whale-Shlt!!!.....Semper Fi, Marines:marine:

OLE SARG
05-19-05, 12:58 PM
Lock-n-Load,
NNNiiiiiccccceeeee post - at least you, me and arzach weren't fooled by dan "psuedo-intellect" rather.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

thedrifter
05-19-05, 01:27 PM
Another......

Newsweek: A Dan Rather rerun Brent Bozell
May 18, 2005

Just months after Dan Rather and CBS brought shame and disgrace to the entire American journalism profession with their phony National Guard expose of George W. Bush, Newsweek magazine has been exposed for declaring -- with nothing more than one anonymous source's gum-flapping -- that U.S. interrogators were flushing the Koran down the toilet to inflame detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

How many eerie parallels are there between the CBS scandal and the Newsweek scandal? Let us count the ways:

1. Both stories caused liberal media types to hunt for years to prove the urban legends dear to the hearts of the Bush-bashers. In the CBS case, reporters spent years pecking through George W. Bush's National Guard records, searching desperately for, and occasionally suggesting the existence of, smoking guns. They just knew he had somehow shirked his duties. In the Newsweek case, reporters had spent years chasing down the most shocking Guantanamo-interrogation stories they could find. Slate.com media critic Jack Shafer assembled a pile of poorly sourced Koran-in-the-john stories dating back to 1983, a regular urban legend of Islam coverage. The media just knew the U.S. military at Guantanamo were guilty of serious abuses.

2. Both stories relied on a single anonymous source. In CBS's case, he was "unimpeachable"; in Newsweek's, "reliable." In the case of CBS, that source was revealed to be Bill Burkett, a Texas-based Bush-hater with a lot more poison than evidence against Bush. In Newsweek's case, the magazine misled readers in their original story by saying "sources" claimed Koran-flushing would be in an official government report. Then, they claimed it was simply a "senior government official." Later, that "reliable" source couldn't vouch for the accuracy of his own statement.

3. Both outlets made comical claims about their professionalism in a time of crisis. Dan Rather claimed he would be the first to report the story of his own incompetence, and also claimed "Those who have criticized aspects of our story have never criticized the heart of it." Wrong. Newsweek called their reporting process "careful," and their laying out of the retracted story "transparent," which is a strange word to use when the unreliable source is still anonymous.

4. Both stories were incorrectly declared to be "confirmed" by outside sources. CBS claimed it had multiple typography "experts" who had authenticated the National Guard memos; it was subsequently revealed they could not get an expert to authenticate the memos before they aired it, and then the lone "expert" they cited as an authenticator said he had not done any such thing. Newsweek claimed it had presented its story to a couple of top Pentagon brass, and had received no denial; it was subsequently revealed that neither had done so because it is impossible to prove a negative.

5. In both cases, the story, left unchallenged, would prove highly damaging to the Bush administration. If Bush had truly defied National Guard superiors in a grave manner, it could have sunk his reelection campaign. If U.S. military interrogators were really stupid enough to think it's a neat idea to get information from Islamic radicals by flushing their sacred texts in the restroom, the White House would be confirmed as reckless zealots declaring war on every Islam-dominated nation. At this writing, the death toll caused by the Newsweek story stands at 17, with over 100 others injured in the ensuing riots. There is no telling how many more may die.

6. When both stories crumbled, the media outlets were initially reluctant to retract anything. Instead, they went about arrogantly maintaining it was up to their critics to prove them wrong, not their responsibility to get it right. For 12 days, Dan Rather stalled and stonewalled at CBS, declaring no one could prove his story false. Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker's first line with the New York Times was that "We're not retracting anything. We don't know for certain what we got wrong." Luckily for Newsweek, they saw the light on this faster than Rather did -- but only, as with CBS, after an outpouring of public outrage.

7. But even after the official retraction, the spin control continued. Dan Rather continued to insist, and other reporters followed suit, that while the documents may have been fabricated, the National Guard story was true. Newsweek's liberal media friends united around the theme that Newsweek will be proven right, that Koran-flushing was not "beyond the realm of possibility," as CNN's Anderson Cooper put it. On "Nightline," ABC's John Donvan intoned, "What really goes on at Guantanamo Bay, no one really knows."

It's just tragic that the liberal media are willing to believe the most exotic rumors about the depredations of President Bush and the U.S. military, long before they've been verified and long after they've been retracted.

Brent Bozell is President of Media Research Center, a Townhall.com member group.

Ellie

arzach
05-19-05, 01:32 PM
Osotogary.........
My bad...I atributed your post to Old Sarge...musta been a short-round.

Now begs the question...what other media/hollywood icons have moldy, musty closets???

Osotogary
05-19-05, 01:47 PM
arzach,
I usually catch the ricochets. LOL
I still maintain that even if D. Rather is/was a complete jerk BUT his news was/is without a doubt, truly factual, I would listen to his broadcast. Since his news reporting, or should I say, what news he presented, has been challenged and found to be mis-leading, I can't say for sure wether I'd be prone to watch his newscasts now or in the future. It is simply a matter of reliability. News has got to be, wether pleasant or not, factual and reliable and presented as such.

arzach
05-19-05, 01:56 PM
I'm in agreement...call it the Joe Friday theory, nuthin' but the facts ma'am. Thing is, rather puts his own little 'jerk' to whatever he reports...the 'sheep' out there get his inuendo and believe that because he's celebrity and the sucessor to uncle wally, that he's to be trusted completely....I only trust Chesty Puller and my Sr DI like that.

USMCgrunt0331
05-19-05, 02:09 PM
Thanks for filling me in on Dan Rather.

While were on the subject of media, how about everybody start writing some letters to some congressman and military officials requesting a ban, or at least some restrictions on media in battlezones in Iraq.

There have been to many incidents where the media has gotten servicemen in trouble for what they filmed and misconstrued, servicemen who have gotten hurt b/c of the actions of the press in a battlezone, and incidents where they have violated operational security and put the lives of servicemen in jeopardy(Heraldo Rivera and others). I don't think they should be allowed anywhere near the front lines, and they can't say it's freedom of press, Iraq aint got no constitution giving them freedom of press there as far as I know. I'm not sayin they shouldn't be allowed there to report there, just not in there with the Marines and soldiers while there trying to fight a f'n battle. They'd be pretty p!ssed if a platoon of Marines started following them around back in the states while they were tryin to do their job and report on a story, lol.

Osotogary
05-19-05, 02:55 PM
USMCgrunt0331,
Little story about my son and an embedded reporter.
I remember awhile back when 2/8 was first in Iraq. There was a picture taken of a stopped convoy and Marine Grunts spending some time in their mud ladden fighting holes, catching forty winks and such. It looked miserable, wet and typically what a picture of Marine life in the field would be like. The picture is now, pretty much, a classic.
Anyhow, when I was able to talk to my son, after his arrival back to the States, I asked him if he was any where near that photo, since I had seen an 81mm Mortar tube laying in one of the fighting holes and I knew that he was a squad leader with the 81's. He said, "Yes, I was right up the road." I asked him if he knew of an imbedded reporter with 2/8 named Kerry Sanders? He said, yes. I asked him if he had any exchanges with him and he said that he had spoken to Kerry Sanders one day. I asked him what the conversation was like and he said that he saw that Kerry Sanders was trying to dry his socks off and had put them on my son's humvee. My son went up to him and said, "Get your blank-blank sox off my humvee." Nuff said. No more sox on son's humvee. LOL

Lock-n-Load
05-19-05, 04:28 PM
:marine: My compliments...when three [3] Marines zero-in their weapons for interlocking fire...nothing survives in that impact area...least of all, Dan...Whoooo?? LOL...Semper Fi, Marines

sgt.r.n.davis
05-19-05, 04:50 PM
YOU MEAN DAN BLADDER, HE'S JUST ANOTHER ,ANTI-AMERICAN PUPPET ON A STRING. AS YOU CAN TELL WHEN YOU LOOK AT HIM HE'S JUST ONE BIG MISSERABLE PINKO COMMI. WHO HATES AMERICA AND THOSE WHO STAND UP FOR IT.:bandit:

sgt.r.n.davis
05-19-05, 05:00 PM
:mad:
ALL I FORGOT TO TELL YOU, PETER PAN DAN WASHED OUT IN BOOT CAMP AFTER ABOUT TWO WEEKS IF I CAN REMEMBER.
RAN BACK HOME TO MA'MA.
:marine: