PDA

View Full Version : Petaluma: No Marine uniform at graduation

thedrifter
05-15-05, 06:17 AM
Petaluma: No Marine uniform at graduation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By RAYNE WOLFE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Last week, Petaluma High School senior Steven Kiernan completed the Crucible at Camp Pendleton, the 54-hour ultimate physical test that shapes Marine recruits.

That was that last main hurdle for the 17-year-old who accelerated his high school education and attended boot camp to fulfill his dream of graduating with his high school class dressed in his Marine dress uniform.

But if Kiernan wants to walk and receive his diploma at the June 11 commencement, he'll have to wear a cap and gown, just like everyone else, Principal Mike Simpson said Friday.

"It's unfortunate this wasn't addressed before Steven left for boot camp," said Simpson, who notified the family earlier in the week.

"It was a hard phone call," said Simpson, whose own father was a Marine during World War II.

The decision at Petaluma High is similar to others playing out at high schools across the country in the weeks leading up to graduation. School leaders are fielding requests from new military recruits who want to walk in uniform to receive diplomas.

Families, proud of the new commitment made by their children, are troubled and sometimes angry that their requests are denied.

"I called the school to confirm things. The person on the phone asked me if Steven needed a cap and gown and I said, 'No, he's graduating in his Marine's uniform,'" said Kim Kiernan, Steven's mother. "I didn't think anything more about it, really."

On Tuesday, Simpson called the Marine's mother. It fell to him to explain school rules about graduation. He reiterated the school's position in a second phone call Thursday evening.

"Seniors graduate as a class. It's an honor to be a member of the graduating class. Becoming a Marine is also an honor, but it is a separate honor," Simpson said Friday, repeating what he had conveyed to Kiernan.

The cap and gown requirement does not preclude Kiernan from wearing his uniform under the gown.

"Sometimes they wear the gown over the uniform, which is OK, as long as the uniform is completely covered," said Gunnery Sgt. Michael Williams, a former Marine recruiter for Sonoma County. "Then the Marines pull off the gown quickly afterward. But that's usually not what the parents want."

Earlier this week, two new teen Marines from Warren Township High School outside Chicago won the right to graduate in uniform when their school board changed school policy to allow students in the military to wear uniforms.

No such change is planned in Petaluma.

For now, the Kiernan family will concentrate on Steven's first graduation - from Marine boot camp, which he excitedly noted in his last letter home Wednesday:

"Hi Family! Buy the plane tickets and reserve the hotel room because I survived the Crucible and ain't nothin' stoppin' me from graduating on June 1st," he wrote.

The Kiernan family said they understand the school's position, but said an exception should be made, particularly because the nation is at war in Iraq.

Ironically, during empathetic conversations between Kim Kiernan and Simpson, each was unaware of their own historical connection.

Early in WWII, Kiernan's Marine dad - Steven's grandfather - was taken prisoner at Wake Island and Simpson's Marine dad later served at Wake Island during a prisoner release near the end of the war.

"This wasn't easy. I have the utmost respect for the Marines. My father was very proud of two things. Of being a Marine during WWII and of being a New York City policeman for 35 years. Steven should be proud of his accomplishments, too," Simpson said.

Ellie

BigCat1
05-15-05, 06:29 AM
Seems we've been down this road before here...I say this young Marine should follow the rules set by the school board and wear his cap and gown over his uniform. If he wishes to take the gown off afterwards, that's fine. But, rules are rules and we as Marines must honor those rules. Nuff said.

kentmitchell
05-15-05, 12:53 PM
Big Cat, I think you nailed it.
No sense wasting valuable time arguing with idiots.
Of course, he could rip off the cap and gown as soon as the principal hands him his diploma.
I mean, what's the principal gonna do? Send him to Iraq? Afghanistan?
Steven Kiernan, you're one of us now. Ooorah!!!

Osotogary
05-15-05, 06:03 PM
To think that this was "Big Time" news in the land of the "Worlds Wrist Wrestling Championships" and Charles Schultz and Snoopy. He had to follow the rules to become a Marine, why not follow the rules to get his diploma? Congrats on both counts.

Eaglestrikes
05-15-05, 06:33 PM
I'll play Devils Advocate. I disagree. Rules are made to provide guidelines. Rules should be applied with a modicum of common sense. They say it is a separate honor. Not so. His Graduation from one was allowed, and tied, to the other. Both were a parcel.
Rules or Regulations that are punitive in nature and are meant to be obeyed. Rules not punitive in nature are guidelines. What is the punitive nature of the Rule that says he must graduate in Cap and Gown?
Now then. Who makes the decisions on these 'Rules'? Parents?
The School Board? The School?
Most Rules or Regualtions have Waivers built in to them. or attached.
I am aware of California Schools I graduated from SweetWater Union High School in National City Ca. As a Marine Recruir. In 1966.
I was at that time DEP. I had actually been in for three months prior.
Rules can be wived and adjusted. Doesn;t mean they have to allow people to graduate in clown suits.