PDA

View Full Version : Like father, two brothers, he is newest to join Marine family

thedrifter
05-15-05, 05:28 AM
Like father, two brothers, he is newest to join Marine family
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 2005513111310
Story by Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (May 13, 2005) -- The Marines are the few and the proud, but in the McLean family, few aren't Marines.

William C. McLean, 22, joined his father and two older brothers by becoming a Marine May 6. Only two sisters, 3 and 17, remain as the only civilian siblings - for now.

William's father, retired Lt. Col. D. Speed McLean, and eldest brother, Maj. Cameron McLean, attended the graduation ceremony, in which William marched with Company E as a private first class across Shepherd Memorial Drill Field.

Maj. McLean, 34, is the Support Battalion executive officer for Recruit Training Regiment here. The middle brother, Capt. Doug McLean, 33, could not attend the graduation because he is currently serving a tour of duty in Iraq.

Doug, just like his father, enlisted and became a sergeant before earning a commission, and William hopes to follow that same path.

"I do plan on getting commissioned," said William. "It is more responsibility and more leadership opportunities."

William came to the depot Feb. 7 from Memphis, where he grew up. He spent three years at the University of Tennessee before signing an enlistment contract.

"I have wanted to join as long as I can remember," said William. "I think the family tie had a lot to do with it."

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2005513111444/$file/02mclean01_lr.jpg

Maj. Cameron McLean, left with brother Pfc. William C. McLean and father retired Lt. Col. D. Speed McLean. Photo by: Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.