PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon..(and is this off limits.)

d c taveapont
05-01-05, 06:53 PM
I had read that the pentagon has a missile defense system and IF in fact it does...WHY wasn't it activated when AA 77 hit it. Also that when a flight recorder becomes disabled the plane is concidered a threat.....:marine:

hoytarcher45
05-02-05, 03:24 AM
I thought it did too but I looked it up on the Siprnet and didn't find anything about it. Where did you read that it did cpl? I think your talking about the transponder, which gives the planes location, altitude, speed etc. I dont know if it being disabled makes it a threat, but that combined with loss of radio contact sure would.

LivinSoFree
05-02-05, 05:41 AM
Hoytarcher, careful about references to information on SIPRnet. That's operational stuff, and not necessarily a good idea to bring up on a public forum, even if it's the reference to something that doesn't exist.

Patty_McOorah
05-02-05, 06:37 AM
Very true LSF. That is borderline BEADWINDOW. To answer your question about the plane shutting off its transponder, it possibly could make it a hostile craft. They have a series of frequencies that are called "modes" that radars pick up, and help us identify them. If they are not squaking the right ones, they could be targeted. Then with no radio contact, that is at least a no-brainer VID.

hoytarcher45
05-02-05, 11:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Beadwindow is going to be tracking me down because I post the word "SIPRnet." As long as I'm not posting any classified information on the forum (duh), then I think I'll be alright.

What is a VID?

Patty_McOorah
05-02-05, 12:07 PM
The term "beadwindow" is a term used by us controlers that means classified info being given over an unclassified medium. It was a sarcastic joke. A VID is a Visual Identification. I am almost positive that they have CAP points being patrolled by f-18's above DC at all times. When that plane stopped squaking and drastically changed course like that, they should have sent one over for a VID to see what the problem was. Why that didn't happen is anyone's guess.

law_student
05-02-05, 12:41 PM
hoytarcher45, don't be so sensitive about cautions not to discuss SIPR. We all sign non-disclosure agreements before we get clearances. The Marines are only looking out for you.

Besides, while information that doesn't exist probably can't be classified, there are a number of good reasons not to have this discussion.

1) Any information that can reasonably be expected to damage national security "shall" be secret. (See Executive Order 13292)

Verifying that classified networks don't acknowledge certain weapons systems could damage national security by helping the enemy plan attacks. Having said that, who knows whether or not the systems exist...they could have a higher classification.

2) Even though the information wasn't there, the fact that the conclusion was "extracted" from a review of classified information could require it to have a "derivative classification." (See Executive Order 13292). This is splitting hairs, but Patty_McOorah is right, it could be borderline.

My opinion, what you wrote is probably okay, but in the future, all of us with access to sensitive information should steer clear of these types of discussions.

d c taveapont
05-02-05, 11:15 PM
any way thanks for the "mindful" experience........so it is a no no to talk about it....