PDA

View Full Version : Military recruiting center attacked

thedrifter
04-29-05, 05:17 PM
Military recruiting center attacked

By John Aguilar, the Rocky Mountain News
April 29, 2005

WESTMINSTER - An Army and Marines recruitment center was shot at eight times this morning, an incident police believe is related to the airing of a television news report Thursday night that raised questions about recruitment practices.
No one was injured in the shooting, which shattered some glass at the front of the building at 7355 W. 88th Ave.

CBS 4 News' report focused on an Arvada West High School honors student who wanted to see how recruiters would react if he told them he wanted to join the Army but was hooked on pot and didn't have a high school diploma.

David McSwane, a writer and editor for his school newspaper, turned over audio and videotapes to CBS 4 News that revealed one recruiter telling the 17-year-old to create a fake high school diploma while another drove him to a store to purchase a detoxification kit to rid his system of marijuana traces.
Lt. Col. Jeffrey Brodeur, head of Army recruiting for the region, told CBS 4 News that the Army would conduct a full investigation into recruitment practices at the center.

McSwane conducted his investigation at a recruitment center in Golden while the shooting occurred at a regional recruitment facility in Westminster.

Nonetheless, Tim Read, an investigator with the Westminster Police Department, believes the shooting and the TV report are connected. He said the recruitment center had not previously been the target of an attack.

"The timeliness is too significant to ignore," he said. "The report was at 10 p.m. (Thursday night) and by 7 this morning, the damage occurred."

Ellie

greensideout
04-29-05, 05:45 PM
They're desperate! Getting low on qualified applicants.

hoytarcher45
04-29-05, 06:39 PM
I remember talking to some kids in my high school who joined the Army, and they told me their recruiters bought them things to clear their system for the **** test. I wonder if the Army trains their recruiters to do this. Haha.