PDA

View Full Version : No media to be let into Pantano courtroom

thedrifter
04-20-05, 07:43 AM
No media to be let into Pantano courtroom <br />
By JAY PRICE, Staff Writer <br />
April 20, 2005 <br />
<br />
Because of security concerns, journalists will be barred from the courtroom at Camp Lejeune when an...

Old Marine
04-20-05, 08:49 AM
Someone needs to tell this guy Sillman what the can do with his 1st Amendment.

thedrifter
04-25-05, 10:11 PM
Accused Marine Ilario Pantano in headlines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 25, 2005
ANDREW DEGRANDPRA
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Google the name Ilario Pantano and up pops the gateway to page upon page of news and opinion about the Marine 2nd lieutenant accused of murdering two Iraqis last year.

"Killer Marine speaks," screams the April 17 headline in the New York Post's online edition. By contrast, a GOP blogger from Virginia lumped in Pantano with his March posting on www.americandaily.com - the brunt of his column, however, was built around the almost-transcendental speculation that today's Marines just aren't as tough as their World War II-era equivalents.

"Do you think President Roosevelt would have allowed one of his Marines to face such a fate?" the author writes, alluding to the 33-year-old Pantano, whose pretrial hearing is Tuesday at Camp Lejeune. "President Bush has no problem sending Marines into battle, though he is apparently not willing to protect those same Marines."

Pantano, who allegedly shot the two Iraqi men in the back, has had some variation of his story told by a variety of major newspapers, magazines and broadcast outlets from around the country and abroad. And while the media's freedom to angle this story has been freewheeling so far, the Marine Corps plans to make sure the news Tuesday from Lejeune is reported uniformly.

What's been published or broadcast so far is diverse. Much of the news about Pantano includes official-record type descriptions of the events last April in Mahmudiah, Iraq and any updates about the pretrial hearing. The Associated Press, for example, was jazzed last week about the military's initial plan to keep journalists out of the courtroom.

Then there's the 7,600-word cover story in April 25th's New York magazine - a frank, obscenity-laden chronicle of Pantano's path from a hardnosed upbringing in inner city New York to his early career exploits on Wall Street to his adventures hunting insurgents in the Sunni Triangle.

The article, found online at www.nymagazine.com is so detailed it even notes the brand of cigarettes preferred by Pantano's wife: Marlboro Lights.

"There was a strategy," said Charles Gittins, Pantano's civilian counsel who, according to his resume, is a lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve. "It's something we developed together - that is, his military lawyers, myself and his family."

By reaching out to the media, Pantano's defense succeeded at making his case fodder for philosophical debate. At best, they succeeded at manipulating public opinion.

How outrageous that a Marine officer, tasked with eliminating an enemy who has "no problem blowing themselves up," could face the death penalty for protecting himself and his comrades, Gittins said. The country's civilian and military populations, he added, should be concerned about the ramifications of sending Pantano's case to trial.

An investigating officer will ultimately make that determination based on evidence presented Tuesday.

"It'll have an adverse effect on other military members who could find themselves in a similar situation," Gittens said. "If they hesitate - thinking 'holy s---, I'm going to be another Pantano' - only to get killed, who's going to explain that to mom and dad?"

It's a belief embraced by U.S. Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., whose district includes Camp Lejeune. All last week, Jones said, he hammered away daily at fellow members of Congress, even petitioning from the House floor for President Bush to facilitate Pantano's request to bypass the hearing and move straight to court-martial.

"I sincerely believe," Jones said, "that a majority of the American people believe Lt. Pantano was just doing his job. How can we second-guess (the decisions U.S. troops make on the battlefield)? It sends the wrong message to our troops, I think, and it doesn't help at all with morale."

Given the amount of press attention Pantano's case has received, invitations to cover the hearing were sent to more than 100 media outlets with local, regional and national audiences, said Lejeune public affairs officer Maj. Neil Murphy. By the registration deadline on Friday, about 50 people had indicated their intent to attend, he said.

Although Murphy declined to identify individual organizations, he did say prominent TV news outfits had confirmed.

Last week, as public affairs personnel at Camp Lejeune prepared for Tuesday's hearing, some media chose to spotlight the base's plan to herd all attending journalists into a separate building and show them the proceedings via closed-circuit TV.

A day later, base personnel said they will hold a lottery and permit a handful of reporters inside the courtroom.

A combination of security concerns - radical Islamists purportedly want Pantano's head - and minimal space inside the courtroom drove the decision to keep the media somewhat contained, Murphy said.

"We realize it's a public proceeding," Murphy said. "From that mindset, we said 'we have to have open access.' But from that, you have to take into consideration safety and security.

"We're giving the best possible access with the constraints that we have - and the biggest one is space."

Internet message boards, and perhaps a few cable news shows, likely will be abuzz with commentary about the case, but it won't be coming from random Marines on base, Murphy said. The military's guidelines established for Pantano's hearing will permit filming and photography only in a specific location.

Similarly, only members of the defense, prosecution or designated Marine Corps spokespeople will be allowed to address the media or respond to questions.

What's essential, said Murphy's colleague 1st Lt. Clark Carpenter, is that the Marine Corps facilitates the publication of facts - not beliefs.

"In a court of law, it really doesn't matter what someone's opinion is," Murphy added.

"A lot of it is space filler."

Ellie

thedrifter
04-26-05, 07:09 AM
Hearing for Marine charged in Iraqi deaths <br />
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 Posted: 6:46 AM EDT (1046 GMT) <br />
<br />
<br />
RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) -- A former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the...

jegries
04-26-05, 08:07 AM
This is a Military affair and the proceedings are no business of the public.

thedrifter
04-26-05, 01:38 PM
Sent to me By Mark aka The Fontman... <br />
<br />
<br />
REBUILDING IN THE GULF <br />
Lt. Pantano faces hearing today <br />
Marine charged with pre-meditated murder of 2 Iraqis <br />

thedrifter
04-26-05, 08:29 PM
Marines Take Stand in Iraq Murder Hearing <br />
<br />
By AARON BEARD, Associated Press Writer <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - Fellow Marines testified Tuesday that an officer who is accused of murder shot two...

thedrifter
04-27-05, 04:55 AM
Pantano hearing opens <br />
April 27, 2005 <br />
ROSELEE PAPANDREA <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
<br />
After he shot and killed two Iraqis, Marine 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano warned two other detainees that if they joined the...

hrscowboy
04-27-05, 06:00 AM
This Lt. is going to burn.. heres another Lt Calley from Vietnam

Old Marine
04-27-05, 07:53 AM
You are probable right Hrscowboy, but in my opinion, if he does burn, its total BS.

FREDDY
04-27-05, 09:41 AM
I don't say much, but this is the biggest BS thing that I have heard of in a very long time.

thedrifter
04-27-05, 05:43 PM
Sent to me byn Mark aka The Fontman

Witness in Marine Case Taken Off Stand
By WILLIAM L. HOLMES
The Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - A key witness in the case against a Marine officer accused of murdering two Iraqi civilians was abruptly taken off the stand Wednesday on suspicion of violating orders on giving interviews about the case.

Marine Sgt. Daniel Coburn was testifying at a hearing in the case against 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano when the investigating officer, Maj. Mark E. Winn, read him his rights and told him he was suspected of violating orders from superior officers.

Coburn left the courtroom after requesting a lawyer.

Defense lawyers had complained that Coburn had given interviews about the case to ABC News, the Daily News of New York and New York magazine even after being ordered not to do so.

The focus on Coburn brought to a temporary halt an Article 32 hearing to determine whether Pantano should face a court-martial in the April 2004 shooting deaths of two men who were being searched outside a suspected terrorist hideout in Iraq.

Prosecutors say the shootings were murder. Pantano, a 33-year-old former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the Sept. 11 attacks, has said he acted in self-defense, believing the men were about to attack him.

Earlier, Coburn testified that he was present when Pantano opened fire on the two men after ordering a search of a car they had driven away from the suspected hideout in Iraq.

He said Pantano was agitated because a superior officer had ordered him to release the men when nothing was found in initial searches of their car.

Ordered to scan the nearby area for threats, Coburn said he was looking away from the men when he heard shots.

"I was kind of confused. He was still firing," he said of the defendant. "I was trying to figure out when it was going to stop."

Defense lawyers aggressively cross-examined Coburn about the interviews he has given about the case. Coburn said he had been told he was allowed to defend his character.

Defense lawyer Charles Gittins asked why, then, he had described Pantano as "one of those thespian-type people" in a recent New York magazine story.

Coburn responded that he did not remember saying any of the things he was quoted as saying in the story.

Earlier, Navy corpsman George "Doc" Gobles, who was present during the shooting, testified that he found it strange that Pantano ordered the Iraqi men to search the car again after initial searches turned up nothing.

Asked by a prosecutor if he believed the Iraqis' actions merited a self-defense shooting, Gobles said: "Myself, I didn't see anything."

Under cross-examination by a defense lawyer, Gobles said he felt Pantano was a strong leader.

"I just felt a sense of security when a situation arose, I knew he would be able to take care of it," Gobles said. "I felt the safest with this platoon, more than any other platoon in our company, more than anything because of Lt. Pantano and his leadership."

The hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury, will help determine whether Pantano will face a court-martial. If convicted of murder at trial, Pantano could face the death penalty.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-27-05, 05:48 PM
Another article...sent by Mark aka The Fontman

Witness: No reason for comrade to shoot two Iraqis
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) - A Navy corpsman who witnessed the shooting deaths of two Iraqis during a search for a terrorist hideout testified Wednesday that he saw no cause for an officer to shoot the men in the back.

Second Lt. Ilario Pantano, 33, a former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the Sept. 11 attacks, has admitted shooting the two men in April 2004 during a search in Mahmudiyah, Iraq, but has said he fired because he thought the men were attacking him.

The corpsman, George Gobles, testified Wednesday on the second day of an Article 32 hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury, to determine whether Pantano will face a court-martial.

Asked by a prosecutor if he believed the Iraqis' actions merited a self-defense shooting, Gobles said: "Myself, I didn't see anything."

Under cross-examination by a defense lawyer, Maj. Phil Stackhouse, Gobles said he felt Pantano was a strong leader.

"I just felt a sense of security when a situation arose, I knew he would be able to take care of it," Gobles said. "I felt the safest with this platoon more than any other platoon in our company, more than anything because of Lt. Pantano and his leadership."

Gobles also said Pantano went out of his way to interact with Iraqi civilians. "They felt he was a friend," he said.

In the April 2004 incident, Pantano's unit had been ordered to search a house suspected of being a terrorist hideout. Marines stopped Hamaady Kareem and Tahah Ahmead Hanjil as they tried to drive away from the residence. Marines searched their car and found nothing of concern, he said.

Gobles said he was facing away from the car when he heard Pantano say "stop" in Arabic and in English. When he turned around, Gobles said, one of the detainees was trying to escape and Pantano fired about 30 rounds at the unarmed men.

In a statement, Pantano has told investigators the two Iraqis had their backs to him and were talking to each other despite warnings to be quiet.

"After another time of telling them to be quiet, they quickly pivoted their bodies toward each other. They did this simultaneously, while speaking in muffled Arabic. I thought they were attacking me and I decided to fire my M-16A4 service rifle in self-defense," the statement said.

If convicted of murder, Pantano could be sentenced to death.

Ellie

hrscowboy
04-27-05, 10:15 PM
I knew there was more too this then what was being said. Now we have a Corpmans saying that there was no reason what so ever to open fire on these men. Gentleman This LT is going down for murder no doubt in my mind..

yellowwing
04-27-05, 10:50 PM
Gobles said he was facing away from the car when he heard Pantano say "stop" in Arabic and in English. When he turned around, Gobles said, one of the detainees was trying to escape and Pantano fired about 30 rounds at the unarmed men. I still don't see any clear cut evidence if I was a juror. I know some Marines here are Law Enforcement and definately have more experience in this kind of mess.

Here is a more recent photo from the San Diego Union Tribune. I don't see any trace of the stock-broker that he used to be. I see a young LT that served a hard tour of duty, and now is in the middle of this quagmire.

God be with him, and may the Truth be found.

thedrifter
04-28-05, 07:26 AM
Investigation stalls hearing on Pantano <br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
April 28, 2005 <br />
ROSELEE PAPANDREA <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
<br />
The...

hrscowboy
04-28-05, 08:50 AM
The buttom line gentlemen these men were prisoners its been reported they had no weapons and that one of the Lts own officers told him to release the prisoners as they where no threat.
just because someone breaks and runs away from you dont mean you have the authority to shoot someone in the back.. Gentlemen you must remember in WAR there are rules of engagement and from everything i have read there is alot of evidence that points too COLD blooded Murder. How in the hell where these men a threat to the LT if there running away from him???

Namvet67
04-28-05, 10:56 AM
hrscowboy....you are a Nam vet and former law enforcement officer! Does it really matter if they were shot in the back or chest? I think the threat to the Lt was there. I'm sure the rules of engagment were not foremost on his mind. Prisoners are ordered to remain still and not make agressive moves (forward or backward) or pay the price! The Lt shot the enemy in a combat zone so get him out of the courtroom and give him a medal.

CHOPPER7199
04-28-05, 11:28 AM
GENTLEMEN, LETS LET THE FACTS SHOW WHAT HAPPENED IF THEY CAN REALLY TELL IT. THIS THING EITHER WAY, SENDS A BAD MESSAGE TO OUR TROOPS. I AM MORE TEED OFF BY OUR TROOPS BEING KILLED BY FRIENDLY FIRE, THAN THIS.

Namvet67
04-28-05, 12:38 PM
I agree JARHEAD 5862

Namvet67
04-28-05, 01:20 PM
Update: A key witness against the Lt (Sgt Dan Coburn) has been removed from the stand after he was accused of giving interviews about the case when he was ordered not to. The Sgt was read his rights and he requested a lawyer. It appears that the interviews were given to ABC news, the New York Daily news and New York Magazine. Lt Pantano still says he acted in self-defense, believing he was about to be attacked.

hrscowboy
04-28-05, 04:35 PM
SSgt I will ask the question again... Where the hell is the Threat if both parties are running away from the Lt.? Also why was this Lt told by another officer to release these men because there was no threat.. Show me the threat.. Show me where this man is being threatened...

thedrifter
04-29-05, 05:16 AM
Marines back officer in murder case

The Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — Two Marines testifying on behalf of a comrade accused of murdering two Iraqi detainees praised him Thursday as a model leader who showed compassion for Iraqi citizens.

The defense presented its first witnesses at a military pretrial hearing for 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano after the prosecution called two other Marines who described Pantano as sometimes overzealous or rough in his handling of prisoners.

Lance Cpl. James Faleris, who served under Pantano in Iraq, said the officer gave local children candy, toys and soccer balls, and made his platoon study Iraqi language and culture for an hour each day as they prepared to deploy.

“He's hands-down the best officer I've ever had the privilege to serve under,” Faleris said.

Pantano, a former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, has said he shot the detainees in self-defense in an April 2004 search outside a suspected terrorist hideout in Iraq.

Pantano has said the men had moved toward him in a threatening manner. Prosecutors have introduced testimony that Pantano thought the men were insurgents who had been attacking his unit, but had been ordered to release them.

The Article 32 hearing, the military equivalent of a civilian grand jury, will help determine whether Pantano, 33, will face a court-martial. If convicted of murder, he could get the death penalty.

Pantano's chief accuser, Sgt. Daniel Coburn, has not returned to the stand since Wednesday, when his testimony was abruptly halted. The investigating officer advised Coburn of his rights and said he was under suspicion for violating orders not to speak with the media about the case.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-29-05, 05:20 AM
Sent to me by Mark aka The Fontman <br />
<br />
Was it murder? A US marine faces scrutiny <br />
By Patrik Jonsson, Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor <br />
2 hours, 17 minutes ago <br />
<br />
RALEIGH, N.C. - Some...

thedrifter
04-29-05, 05:22 AM
<br />
<br />
Marines praise leadership of Marine charged in Iraqis' deaths <br />
BY BRIAN KATES <br />
New York Daily News <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - (KRT) - Ilario Pantano, the New York...

Phantom Blooper
04-29-05, 05:31 AM
Witness won't be charged <br />
April 29,2005 <br />
ROSELEE PAPANDREA <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
A key witness testifying against Marine Corps 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano in a pretrial hearing at Camp Lejeune won't be...

marinefamily5
04-29-05, 05:53 AM
as i said in the one i post and this is the way i feel..........how can someone murder someone when we are at war.....if the Lt felt that his life was in danger then that is all that should...

Old Marine
04-29-05, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
SSgt I will ask the question again... Where the hell is the Threat if both parties are running away from the Lt.? Also why was this Lt told by another officer to release these men because there was no threat.. Show me the threat.. Show me where this man is being threatened...

These people should always be considered a threat whether they are running away from you or running at you. You have to watch you back at all times. We are not fighting uniformed personnel and anyone and everyone is the enemy.

Namvet67
04-29-05, 09:01 AM
Thanks Old Marine....hrscowboy, i can't show you anything! All i know is what i read but i do know what it is like to be in a combat zone! I ain't taking no chances period! You were in a combat zone yourself....why are you so against the Lt? When i was in Nam, i considered everyone the enemy....armed or not! You know the stories so i am not going to go into detail here! Semper Fi brother

thedrifter
04-29-05, 02:18 PM
Sent to me by mark aka The Fontman <br />
<br />
Case against Pantano slowly erodes <br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
SFTT Special Report <br />
04-29-2005...

hrscowboy
04-29-05, 02:22 PM
SSGt gbudd I have nothing against this Lt. what so ever and you know just as much as i myself and including yourself had rules of ingagement even in Nam. Yes i considered everyone the enemy in Nam but I also remembered was the rules of engagement was also. I think if you care to look back then charlie could walk down the street in Da Nang with an AK-47 on his side and as long as he did not point it at you or committed a threat at you. You had no legal right to blow him away. (Geniva Convention rules gentleman). Now lets talk about Law enforcement are you aware that some states dont even have a self defense law?? Its up to the district attorney to decide if in fact it was self defense or not.. and i can tell you that 2 of states are Missouri and Kansas. buttom line gentlemen we have rules and regulations governing our military and if you step over that line of rules and regulations you better be ready to pay the price.. and ssgt i have nothing against the Lt what so ever. I would feel the way i do if it was anyone no matter what there rank was if they violated the rules of ingagement or the geniva convention.. enuff said..

Namvet67
04-29-05, 02:47 PM
GTG hrscowboy...war takes on many faces for those that are unfortunate enough to be in it! We weren't there so only the Lt. knows for sure (what really happened). The more time that goes by the more room for the mind to start playing games on you and the same goes for the so called eye witness! The truth will come out in the long run and justice will prevail. Semper Fi

thedrifter
04-29-05, 05:52 PM
Marine's Attorneys Aim to Question Witness <br />
Friday April 29, 2005 5:38pm <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) - Attorneys for a Marine accused of murdering two Iraqi detainees argued Friday to...

hrscowboy
04-29-05, 09:35 PM
I dont agree that this Lt should be looking at the death penalty what so ever if this man is found guilty of the things people have proof that hes done i say prison time and out just like another officer that committed crimes in Vietnam.

ivalis
04-30-05, 01:05 AM
a bit of a sticky wicket here. don't think the truth will ever come out. feel sorry for all involved, including the dead guys. reinforces the saying, "war is hell, combat is a MF"

BigCat1
04-30-05, 03:37 AM
to hrscowboy... <br />
First of all, get your facts straight....The Geneva Convention does not apply here. This is not the standing army of any particular country. Secondly, in any combat zone a person...

Namvet67
04-30-05, 04:37 AM
hrscowboy....I'm gonna have to agree with the Gunny on this one!

yellowwing
04-30-05, 04:51 AM
This is not the standing army of any particular country. That is the "sticky wicket". We never officially never recognized the Taliban MFs as the official Govt of Afghanistan.

That's why those lowly ragheads are now Jihad Recruiting Poster Boys in Gitmo. IMO we've done more to recruit Wahabi's with them in limbo prison, rather than just shoot them and be done with it.

A lowly martyr is politically valuable as long as he is alive and in prison. Other wise only his folks will remember him two months from now.

An official Declaration of War against the Al Qaeda would do wonders on policy decisions. I really thave no idea on how that would be politically expedited.

BigCat1
04-30-05, 06:23 AM
Yellowing...
It's a little difficult, to say the least, to declare war on a group of what is basically civilians. In order to declare war it must be against the formal standing army of a recognized country. Al Qaeda does not belong to any specific country and does not recognize the Geneva Convention, nor any recognized "rules of war". They have only one thing in mind. Kill the infidels. That would be anyone who does not subscribe to Islamofacism, be they civilian or military. So, your statment about declaring war is a moot point. I agree with you on one salient point...we shouldn't be taking them prisoners...we should be just shooting them and be done with it.

thedrifter
04-30-05, 06:25 AM
Attorney for Marine Wants Witness Immunity <br />
Saturday April 30, 2005 9:31 AM <br />
By WILLIAM L. HOLMES <br />
Associated Press...

thedrifter
04-30-05, 01:46 PM
Sent to me By Mark aka The Fontman

Lawyer for accused Marine says witness granted immunity

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. A key prosecution witness has been granted immunity in the case of a Marine accused in the deaths of two Iraqi detainees.

The defense attorney for Second Lieutenant Ilario Pantano confirms the immunity request has been granted. The move clears the way for the defense to finish its cross-examination.Earlier this week, the witness (Marine Sergeant Daniel Coburn) testified that Pantano was told to release the prisoners he's accused of killing. The witness later left the stand after hearing he was suspected of violating orders against giving interviews about the case.Pantano is a former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after September eleventh. He's admitted shooting the Iraqis during a search outside a suspected terrorist hideout last year. But he says he acted in self-defense.The hearing is expected to resume this morning.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-30-05, 03:19 PM
<br />
<br />
<br />
Witness Testifies Of Losing Leadership Role At Hands Of Pantano <br />
POSTED: 3:43 pm EDT April 30, 2005 <br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- A key witness against a Marine...

thedrifter
04-30-05, 04:31 PM
3/4 Marines mourn the loss of a brother
Submitted by: 2nd Marine Division
Story Identification #: 200543053333
Story by Lance Cpl. Paul Robbins Jr.

FALLUJAH, Iraq (April 30, 2005) -- The crowded room maintained a somber silence as the mourning Marines gazed upon the memorial erected for their fallen brother, Lance Cpl. Juan C. Venegas.

Venegas, a 21-year-old scout sniper with 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, died April 7, in a vehicle accident outside of Fallujah, Iraq.

Two days after the fatal accident, Marines with the battalion crowded into Camp Mercury’s mess hall to pay their final respects to their fallen brother-in-arms.

During the ceremony, those who knew him described his personality, work ethic and professionalism in life. As a Marine, the Simi Valley, Calif., native was seen as dependable, motivated and self-sufficient.

“He didn’t require a lot of guidance or supervision,” said 1st Lt. Stowell B. Holcomb, 26-year-old scout sniper platoon commander, “He did his job with a good attitude that was infectious.”

The Marines in his team had the deepest respect for Venegas, who they referred to as a “gentle giant.”

“He was a man of few words, but when he spoke, you better pay attention,” said Lance Cpl. Joseph A. Navalle, the 26-year-old team leader for the team.

Although very influential as a Marine, Venegas had a greater impact on those around him as a person.

His peers remember Venegas as selfless family man, who spent his off hours writing his family or helping his fellow Marine, according to Lance Cpl. Matthew T. Koerber, a 23-year-old scout sniper in Venegas’ platoon

“He was the kind of guy who put everyone before himself, without even thinking about it,” Koerber said. “He led by example without even trying.”

His fellow snipers also saw Venegas as a fighter. No matter how tough the situation, the Marines of his team could count on him to fight to the very end, according to Navalle.

“Even with his last act as a Marine, he was fighting,” said Lance Cpl. Graham W. Golden, a 23-year-old scout sniper with the team. “He’s my hero, he saved my life,” Golden said.

“He embodied what it is to be the Marine who gave the ultimate sacrifice,” Koerber said, “The Corps was lucky to have him.”

Venegas leaves behind four younger sisters and a fiancé.

His awards include: the Combat Action Ribbon, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal and Certificate of Commendation.

Ellie

hrscowboy
04-30-05, 10:44 PM
Gunney you may be very well right about the geneva Convention not applying in that area. and yes in a combat zone you do have the right to defend, as long as it dont violate the rules of engagement. Our rules of Our UCMJ have not changed and probably wont either. I ask you gunny is the actions of a professional Marine putting signs around dead peoples necks that leads men correct? Is this what our Marine Corp has come too gunny? I spent my time in war and not once did i see any Marine act like this. First Cav threw there cards on the dead but not once did I see this kind of action from Marines. Gunny when i was in the Marine Corps we served with pride and where proud in the job we done. I dont see any pride in pumping 30 rounds a piece in the back of the so called enemy that was deamed not a threat from another officer earlier. Enuff said..

BigCat1
04-30-05, 11:44 PM
hrscowboy, <br />
This has nothing to do with hanging signs around anyones necks or dropping cards on the dead. Lt. Pantano thought his life and the life of the Marines he was leading were in danger. You...

thedrifter
05-01-05, 06:34 AM
Pantano awaiting decision <br />
May 01, 2005 <br />
ROSELEE PAPANDREA <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
<br />
During a six hour cross-examination Saturday, Marine Sgt. Daniel Coburn frequently contradicted statements he made...

thedrifter
05-01-05, 09:02 AM
The 2ndLt Ilario Pantano Topic - All Goes Here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prosecutor: Marine intended to make example of detainees
Sunday, May 1, 2005 Posted: 8:09 AM EDT (1209 GMT)

CAMP LEJEUNE, North Carolina (AP) -- A Marine accused of murdering two Iraqi detainees intended to make an example of them by shooting them 60 times and hanging a sign over their bodies, prosecutors said Saturday during closing arguments in a pretrial hearing.

"There's no other reason why this stellar lieutenant would have used such poor judgment," prosecutor Maj. Stephen Keane said. "It is not up to a 2nd lieutenant to violate the law of war and make an example of people he believes are bad."

Prosecutors allege that 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano killed the suspected insurgents in April 2004 after ordering a search of their car. Pantano, a former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the September 11 attacks, says he acted in self-defense after the men moved toward him.

"Lt. Pantano has told this to virtually every person who asked him," defense attorney Charles Gittins said in his closing statement. "He did exactly what he was required to do under the circumstances."

Pantano declined to make a statement in court after consulting with his lawyers.

The Article 32 hearing, the military equivalent of a civilian grand jury, will determine whether Pantano, 33, will face a court-martial. If convicted of murder, he could get the death penalty.

The investigating officer has been given at least a week to make his recommendations.

The five-day hearing came to a close Saturday after Pantano's chief accuser returned to the stand following several days of legal wrangling.

Sgt. Daniel Coburn abruptly left the stand Wednesday when he was told he was suspected of violating orders prohibiting him from giving media interviews about the case. He returned to the stand Saturday after being granted immunity from prosecution.

Coburn testified Saturday that he believed the men were going to be brought in for questioning when Pantano ordered the search of their car.

However, Coburn also acknowledged that Pantano had stripped him of his job as squad leader and elevated a lower-ranking Marine to replace him. He said he believed his last evaluation, written by Pantano and reviewed by two higher-ranking officers, was a "career-ender."

Coburn said he hadn't seen the evaluation before he began to question Pantano's actions.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-03-05, 01:22 PM
Warrior or murderer <br />
<br />
Hearing begins for officer accused of murdering two Iraqis — and heats up when his chief accuser takes the witness stand <br />
<br />
By C. Mark Brinkley <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
CAMP...

thedrifter
05-03-05, 01:22 PM
Gobles searched the car again while the detainees, now cuffed and separated, waited face down on the ground. Nothing in the car was bolted down — not the seats, not the center console, not even the...

thedrifter
05-04-05, 07:07 AM
Ilario Pantano, Patriot <br />
By Paul Beston <br />
Published 5/4/2005 12:08:11 AM <br />
<br />
Within the next week or so, a Uniform Code of Military Justice Article 32 hearing at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, will...

thedrifter
05-09-05, 04:13 PM
Pantano case’s future to be decided this week

Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — The officer who presided over a pretrial hearing for a Marine suspected in the murder of two Iraqis expects to recommend this week whether the case goes forward for a court martial, a military spokesman said Monday.
Lt. Col. Mark E. Winn had been given a week after the close of the hearing April 30 to send his recommendation to Maj. Gen. Richard Huck, but requested an extension, Marine spokesman 2nd Lt. Barry Edwards said. Huck will review the recommendation and decide how to continue.

Prosecutors in the case allege that 2nd Lt. Ilario Pantano killed two suspected insurgents in April 2004 because he believed they were launching mortars at his troops. Pantano, a former Wall Street trader who rejoined the Marines after the Sept. 11 attacks, says he acted in self-defense after the men moved toward him.

Huck has said he will make a recommendation fairly quickly as Pantano’s former unit prepares to return to Iraq.

Pantano, 33, continues to work at Lejeune as an assistant training officer helping to develop training regimens.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-13-05, 05:09 PM
Drop murder charges, Pantano prober urges <br />
<br />
<br />
By Rowan Scarborough <br />
THE WASHINGTON TIMES <br />
<br />
<br />
Exclusive <br />
<br />
An investigating officer has recommended that the Marine Corps drop murder...

thedrifter
05-14-05, 05:16 AM
Gen. Huck gets Patano case <br />
May 14,2005 <br />
ROSELEE PAPANDREA <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
Murder charges against a Camp Lejeune Marine accused of shooting two Iraqis in the back in April 2004 should be...

thedrifter
05-17-05, 04:17 AM
Marines Urged to Drop Iraq Murder Charges <br />
<br />
<br />
The Associated Press <br />
<br />
RALEIGH, N.C. The Marine Corps should drop murder charges against a lieutenant who fatally shot two Iraqi detainees during a...

thedrifter
05-17-05, 12:44 PM
May 23, 2005 <br />
<br />
Investigator: Drop charges <br />
Lieutenant who killed 2 Iraqis wins round 1, but final decision pending <br />
<br />
By C. Mark Brinkley <br />
Times staff writer <br />
<br />
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. — Drop the murder...

sgt.r.n.davis
05-17-05, 07:43 PM
NO, I DISAGREE THAT HE WILL BE FOUND GUILTY,HE ONLY DID WHAT ALL OF US WERE TRAINED TO DO. AND WE WOULD HAVE IF THAT WAS ONE OF US MARINES IN THAT SAME COMBAT ZONE!
SECOND, THE NEWS MEDIA WOULD ONLY REPORT THE COVERAGE OF THE COURT- MARSHALL .ALL WRONG, AND POLITICIZE IT!! YOU KNOW THAT'S RIGHT!
THE LT. OUT COME OF NOT GUILTY, WOULD ONLY MAKE THE U.S. MARINES AND THE U.S.A. LOOK GOOD IN IRAQ. AND THEY COULD NOT REPORT THE TRUE ! THAT'S NOT IN THEIR BLOOD!!

thedrifter
05-18-05, 04:41 PM
05.18.2005 <br />
<br />
Pantano Deserves Full Vindication <br />
<br />
By Raymond Perry <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Following months of uncertainty and stress for 2nd Lt. Iliaro Pantano, a Marine Corps hearing officer last week recommended...

thedrifter
05-19-05, 05:34 AM
Murder Charges Sought Against Marine <br />
<br />
1 hour, 10 minutes ago <br />
<br />
WILMINGTON, N.C. - A prosecutor seeking murder charges against a Marine officer who fatally shot two Iraqis during a search for a...

thedrifter
06-03-05, 06:27 AM
Marine, Cleared of Murder, Wants Discharge <br />
<br />
<br />
Friday June 3, 2005 9:01 AM <br />
<br />
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) - A Marine Corps lieutenant cleared of murder charges for riddling two Iraqis with bullets and...

thedrifter
06-05-05, 11:09 PM
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR <br />
June 05,2005 <br />
<br />
<br />
Pantano case wasdecided correctly <br />
<br />
To the editor: <br />
<br />
I read the news that the commanding general of the 2nd Marine Division has dropped all charges...

thedrifter
06-05-05, 11:55 PM
Sunday, June 5, 2005; Page A18 <br />
<br />
Marine Quits, Citing Risks of Return to Iraq <br />
<br />
<br />
WILMINGTON, N.C. -- A lieutenant once charged with murder in the deaths of two Iraqis said he is leaving the Marine...