PDA

View Full Version : Bush To Name Marine To Lead Joint Chiefs

thedrifter
04-20-05, 07:27 AM
Bush To Name Marine To Lead Joint Chiefs
By Bradley Graham, Washington Post Staff Writer
Washington Post April 20, 2005 Pg. 22

President Bush intends to name Marine Gen. Peter Pace the next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, officials said yesterday, replacing Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, whose term ends this autumn.

Announcement of the decision is due soon and probably will include the nomination of Navy Adm. Edmund P. Giambastiani Jr. as the new vice chairman, officials said.

The selection of the two officers for the Pentagon's top military posts would team Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld with a pair of senior officers with whom he is very familiar.

Pace, 59, has served as vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for
3 1/2 years, helping to manage the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and furthering a reputation as a smooth political operator.

Giambastiani, 56, was Rumsfeld's senior military assistant for a year before becoming head of Joint Forces Command in 2002. There, the admiral has overseen work on a number of the "transformational" military strategies strongly favored by Rumsfeld.

Although the Pace-Giambastiani team would promise continuity with Rumsfeld's agenda, the close identification of the two officers with the defense secretary also risks furthering the recent image of the Joint Staff as having lost some of its voice in Pentagon deliberations.

Myers has struggled with criticism from some quarters that he has failed to stand up sufficiently to the strong-willed Rumsfeld. Myers's supporters dispute this perception, saying that on a number of important policy questions, the general has challenged the secretary but has kept such disputes largely behind the scenes.

As Myers's deputy, Pace also has been subject to grumbling that he has avoided disagreements with Rumsfeld. But his backers say Pace has demonstrated particular skill in dealing not only with civilians at the Pentagon but also at the White House, and in managing difficult issues involving long-term strategy and weapons acquisition policies.

If confirmed by the Senate, Pace would become the first Marine to hold the chairman's job.

A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Pace was sent to Vietnam as a fresh lieutenant in the late 1960s and served as a platoon leader, winning a Bronze Star. In the early 1990s, he commanded Marines in Somalia, returning in 1993 after the failed raid that killed 18 Americans to help preside over an ignominius U.S. withdrawal. He went on to head U.S. Southern Command, which is responsible for operations in Latin America and the Caribbean.

The leadership changes on the Joint Staff come at a time of continued speculation about Rumsfeld's own plans to step down. Now in the fifth year of his second tour as Pentagon leader, Rumsfeld already holds records as the youngest and oldest person to have held the job. He has given no sign of any intention to leave soon.

To beat Robert McNamara's record of longest serving defense secretary, Rumsfeld would need to stay until March 2008.

Ellie

yellowwing
04-20-05, 08:17 AM
Outstanding choice!

I found a great article of General Pace talking about his job as Vice Chairman. You can really tell he is 110% Marine determined to do his job without interservice jockeying and rivalry: General Peter Pace - 23 January 2003 (http://www.dtic.mil/jcs/vice_chairman/precision_strike_transcript.htm)

eddief
04-20-05, 05:47 PM
It's about time.

grayshade
04-20-05, 06:03 PM
I would think that the General is the right man. It's something else to know that he'll be the first Marine at that post.

:yes:

yellowwing
04-22-05, 12:51 PM
Bush Nominates Marine to Head Joint Chiefs, a First
By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
NY Times 22 Aprill 2005 (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/22/politics/22cnd-military.html)
President Bush chose Gen. Peter Pace today for chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a nomination that if confirmed by the Senate would make the general the first marine to hold the military's highest post.

"First thing America needs to know about Pete Pace is that he is a marine," President Bush said during a White House ceremony. "To the American people, marine is shorthand for can do, and I'm counting on Pete Pace to bring the Marine spirit to these new responsibilities."

General Pace, 59, is not expected to face difficulty gaining Senate confirmation to succeed Gen. Richard B. Meyers of the Air Force, who is to retire in September after four years as chairman.

"This is an incredible moment for me," General Pace said today. "It is both exhilarating and humbling. It's exhilarating because I have the opportunity, if confirmed by the Senate, to continue to serve this great nation. It's humbling because I know the challenges ahead are formidable."

General Pace, who has been vice chairman since late 2001, was recommended by Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld. The chairman of the Joint Chiefs is the main military adviser to the president and the defense secretary. He does not have direct command over any forces.

General Pace is a graduate of the Naval Academy. Born in Brooklyn and reared in Teaneck, N.J., he led a rifle platoon during the Vietnam War. He is known in the Pentagon as "Perfect Pete," for his good looks and military bearing.

The general also served in Somalia during the ill-fated American intervention there in the early 1990's and commanded American troops in Latin America until he was tapped as vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

President Bush nominated Adm. Edmund P. Giambastiani Jr. of the Navy to replace General Pace as vice chairman. Admiral Giambastiani was Mr. Rumsfeld's top military aide until 2002, when he took over the military's Joint Forces Command, where he focused on making the military more efficient and agile.

fade2black
04-22-05, 02:33 PM
“The first thing America needs to know about Pete Pace is that he is a Marine,” Bush said. “To the American people, the Marine is shorthand for can-do, and I’m counting on Pete Pace to bring the Marine spirit to these new responsibilities.”

What a great quote by the President!!

GySgtRet
04-22-05, 05:52 PM
It is with great pride that I annouce that General Peter Pace was my commanding officer in Buffalo New York. The General is one of the finest commanding officers that I ever had in my 20 years as a United States Marine. If I ever had the privilege of serving with the General again I would welcome that privilege to serve with this great leader.

Now is the time for the Marine Corps to shine in its finest hour with a leader of the caliber of General Pace.

Semper Fidelis

Lock-n-Load
04-22-05, 08:06 PM
:marine: Nice post. I met/heard Gen Pace in Boston for our Semper Fidelis Society of Boston, celebrating the Corps birthday 2 years ago...as he spoke to us, one could sense his identification to this throng...he was internalized and motivating about Marines of all ranks and generations...I've listened to a multitude of General Staff Officers in the 1990s at reunions, and Gen Pace's eyes welled up talking to us in Boston...he will be a shinning star as Chief of Staff in the Pentagon.He left an indelible memory on my mindset.I hung on his every word, that is his most appealing trait as a US Marine General...he identifies with his US Marines....Semper Fi:marine:

Tom D
04-22-05, 09:14 PM
Does this mean he is superior to the commandant?

GySgtRet
04-22-05, 10:38 PM
Tom D,

Yes he is. I haven't got any proof but I think that he is allready superior in his billett as Deputy to the joint chiefs...???

GySgtRet
04-22-05, 10:44 PM
Lock-n-Load,

I know exactly whay you are saying. When he was the CO at RS Buffalo he inspired and encouraged every Marine A or B billets whom ever he had command of. At an all hands meeting at then Major Pace we were exchanging polite conversation, General Haebel then Depot Commander at Parris Island was inbound to see all hands at the co's house. He stared talking about his experiences while in Viet Nam and pulled out his platoon commander's that he carried during Viet Nam which had his entire platoon's personnell in it to include blood types, selective service numbers, home of next of kin, etc... He is just one heck of a Marine I can't put in any better than that.

Semper Fidelis

WTSands
04-23-05, 12:20 PM
Hey Gunny. Do you remember what company and platoon?

Lock-n-Load
04-23-05, 01:15 PM
:marine: Like I stated, I heard alot of US Marine Generals address us at the 1st Marine Div Assoc reunions...all spoke very well, but of all of our leaders, Gen Pace gained my rapt attention after he was into his lecture, etc...no other Marine General impressed me so much in one afternoon..I even went up to have him sign a book on the Korean War [US Marines in Korea-1952]]...we smiled, shook hands and I said to Gen Pace, "Gung-F-Ho, General"...a big smile came over his face and he said, "Friggin; "A" Marine"...I've been on his page ever since...He knows; he knows!!...Semper Fi, Marines [FMF].

Cole11
04-23-05, 03:41 PM
a Marine General in charge, OOOOOOORRRAAAAHHHHH

GySgtRet
04-23-05, 08:52 PM
WTSands,

Sorry I do not remeber the unit. Were you in his platoon?

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
04-23-05, 08:54 PM
Lock-n-Load,

He is a very dynamic Marine and a very dynamic personnality. He may fool people around the world. If you have ever been in his presents for any amount of time you will enjoy his presents.

Semper Fidelis

Lock-n-Load
04-24-05, 06:56 AM
:marine: Agreed...he is above politics to get where he is now, many high ranking members of our Armed Forces matriculating at the Pentagon are in for one hellava surprise to their cushy...

yellowwing
04-24-05, 08:23 AM
Hey, if we have Gen Pace as JCS and LCpl Lake in Iraq, where can we go wrong! ;) :marine:

GySgtRet
04-24-05, 08:46 AM
yellowwing,

Hey that is a good combination.

GySgtRet
04-24-05, 09:20 PM
WTSands,

I do know that General Pace came to Viet Nam as a Lt and after his tour he wound up at 8th & I as "A" company commander. I was thing that he was in the ist MARDIV but I am not quite sure of that. I do know that he served with 5th Marines after serving in Korea as attache to the Soul embassy. I just cannot remeber what platoon he was in during Viet Nam.

yellowwing,

I liked the article. That is a man that isn't affraid to tell thiings the way that they are. It was a very good gathering and he is indeed a very congenial person. As I said before very dynamic Marine.

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
04-25-05, 08:06 AM
The complete honsty of what needs to be done might be refreshing.

$83 million for supplemental armor for Humvees and personale, might be an easier sell than $3.4 BILLION for F-22 development.

IMO the F-22 is needed to maintain carte-blanche air superiority. But doggone, that is a hell of a price tag!

GySgtRet
04-25-05, 09:19 AM
The Air Force is the onmes that want the F-22 not Dep of the Navy. The Marine Corps will make do with what they have with proven platforms that allready work for the Marine Corps.

yellowwing
04-25-05, 10:46 AM
Sheet, the Airwing would be happy and content to keep flying the F-8 Crusader if they had no choice!

P. M. SHEEHAN
04-25-05, 11:15 AM
First of all, "eyes right" for Gen Peter Pace.
I'm a bit confused however. As we all know, the Marine Corps is part of the Navy. In the past, a Marine General would attend meetings of the Joint Chiefs as a "courtesy" but had no voting power. This was reserved for the Navy. As Chairman, I would assume that Gen. Pace would be able to vote only in case of a tie.which I believe is the traditional function of the Chairman regardless of what service he comes from. In essence, the Navy will retain it's authority to vote.
I hope I haven't confused anyone. Any Comments?

Tom Hansen
04-25-05, 12:27 PM
That ended in the early Sixties, a long time ago.......

sgt.lane
04-25-05, 04:24 PM
It is about time a Marine held that post....!!!!!

GySgtRet
04-26-05, 05:58 AM
sgt.lane,

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem with General Pace being in his postition is he does not represent the Marine Corps. But I suspect that he will anyway or atleast get some good and needed influence in congress, the senate, and the DoD.

Semper Fidelis

thedrifter
04-26-05, 08:58 PM
Gen. Pace prizes his military roots
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published: Sat, Apr 23, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) - On the desk of Gen. Peter Pace is a photo of the first Marine who died following Pace's orders: Lance Cpl. Guido Farinaro, killed in combat in Vietnam in 1968 when the general was a lieutenant.

That photo is a sign of his devotion to the troops, President Bush said Friday, naming Pace to serve as the nation's top military officer, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

"I've come to rely on Peter Pace's wisdom, judgment and sense of humor," said Bush, noting Pace's tenure as the vice chairman. "We'll need his wisdom and determination as we continue to transform our armed forces so we can defeat today's enemies while preparing ourselves for military challenges we will face as this new century unfolds."

Since becoming vice chairman Oct. 1, 2001, Pace has quietly helped shape the Pentagon's role in the global war on terrorism. If he is approved by the Senate, he will take command of a military fighting guerrilla wars in Iraq and Afghanistan even as it reshapes itself toward Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's vision of a lighter, more flexible force.

The selection of Pace signals no stark change in direction from the command of his boss, Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, due to retire Sept. 30 after four years on the job. In the past, vice chairmen have focused on weapons acquisition, but Pace has said 80 percent of his duties are devoted to operations in the war on terrorism.

In a ceremony at the White House, Pace thanked Bush for his "trust and faith in me." He said the promotion was "exhilarating," but added, "I know the challenges ahead are formidable."

Pace, 59, is expected to win Senate confirmation easily. He is the first Marine to be named chairman.

"He's been such a faithful executor and supporter of Rumsfeld's priorities," said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst at the Lexington Institute, a Virginia-based think tank. "He is a thoughtful but loyal subordinate."

Pace is described by subordinates as warm and sincere, with a humble charisma and sense of humor. In conversation, he drives home a point by putting it in terms of the common soldier, describing things "from Pfc. Pace's point of view."

The combat operations Pace has played a direct role in - Vietnam, Somalia, and the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq - are not regarded as among America's clearest military victories.

In Vietnam, as an officer fresh out of the Naval Academy in 1968, he commanded a rifle platoon and saw action in Hue City.

In a speech last year, he described the experience: "I learned about being scared. I promise you there were times when I tried and wished I could climb up inside my helmet and have my mother come find me and take me home."

But a greater fear - of letting down the Marines under his command and those who served before him - kept him in the fight, he said.

During the speech, he recalled his soldiers who were killed in action.

"Those men took my orders in combat and as a result, died for their country. I owe them a debt I can never repay," he said.

The son of an Italian immigrant, Pace was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. and raised in Teaneck, N.J. Pace and his wife, Lynne, have a daughter, Tiffany Marie, and a son, Peter, a captain in the Marine reserves.

After returning from Vietnam in 1969, he held a number of ceremonial and educational posts in the military. He was stationed in South Korea in the mid-1980s. His official biography mentions no service in the first Iraq war.

From December 1992 to February 1993, he was deputy commander of the Marine forces that averted further famine in Somalia; from October 1993 to March 1994, he returned to assist in supervising the withdrawal of U.S. forces after the "Black Hawk Down" firefight.

He was promoted to four-star general in 2000, when he took over the U.S. Southern Command, the military command that oversees operations in Latin America.

Ellie

P. M. SHEEHAN
04-27-05, 11:23 AM
There have been many changes as to functioning of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the most sweeping being the Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1983. For an interesting read, go to www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/history/jcspart1.pdf