PDA

View Full Version : survivors of Edson's/Bloody Ridge 1942 or their families?

Wally Hicks
04-18-05, 05:48 PM
I am a writer from NZ seeking to contact as above, especially Ira Gilliand and descendents of Corpsman Robert L Smith who, I believe, won a Navy Cross posthumously on Sept 13, 42? I wish to use the episode of Smiths heroic death in a stage show - music theatre - about the 'Yanks' in NZ during WWII and feel it right & proper to ask relatives permission. I also use the name Barnes (Dave Barnes) plus Edson & Bailey - Medal of Honour winners at the scene. My father served in RNZAF groundcrew on Guadalcanal 43-44. The show is a tribute to US forces and especially unsung heroes of the war. A much bigger longshot is the possibility of contacting 2 wounded US servicemen - maybe Marines - who went on a date with my mother Beverley Stephenson & her best friend Barb probably in early 1943? The girls - as they were then - lived in Devonport in Auckland? This meeting was a turning point in my mums life. A face-to-face with the reality of war. I hope this is an appropriate forum to lodge such requests? If anyone knows of others I can use your help. My e-mail is wally_hicks@yahoo.co.nz