PDA

View Full Version : Young Marines program

fade2black
04-18-05, 01:26 PM
Anyone here work with the Young Marines? My 11 year old has expressed interest in joining so I called the Marine at my MCL and got all the info. Come to find out they are looking for some help and it's sounds like fun. So I think I'm going to volunteer to help out. Plus it might fill that void in my life since I got out 6 years ago, as dealing with civilians takes it's toll on you after a while. :) I was just wondering if anyone else here volunteers with this program and what I can expect being an instructor.

Semper Fi

fade2black
04-20-05, 12:42 PM
No one works with this program? Wow, I figured there would be more involvement from the veterans and AD Marines.

Well, if you have the time, this program can use Marine experience and leadership. Most local units only meet once a month, or at the most, weekly for a couple of hours. Be a mentor for the youth of today. They need a lot of guidance and what better role model than a Marine!

cajunguy
04-20-05, 02:03 PM
Ok, now that I have time to check the board, you have one volunteer for sure.

I have been volunteering time with the Young Marines for about a year and a half, and you cannot imagine how rewarding it is.

Being a drug education (D.A.R.E. Instructor) officer with my LE agency, I was contacted some time ago by the YM coordinator, to do a presentation for the kids. Been hooked ever since.

In fact I was scheduled to give a talk this past Saturday, but we were all involved in the welcome home ceremony for the TOW Platoon (USMCR) that just returned from serving in Iraq. So I had to reschedule my talk in a couple of weeks. Of course the Young MArines were also involved, and they really looked sharp marching in the parade.

Gang, if you want to do something really worthwhile with your Saturdays, this is it. Make yourself available to share your experience and knowledge with these kids. They will appreciate it, and the rewards of working with kids is unbelievable.

Give it a try. You won't regret it.

fade2black
04-25-05, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the info SSgt. I went to a training day/orientation on Saturday with my son. He is so excited about joining now, he can't wait until May 21 when boot camp starts. I talked to the only 2 instructors they have (one is the CO and the other is the XO) and told them I will definitely be helping them out. I should be getting all the paperwork this week and will be getting out the uniform and getting ready! I'm pretty motivated about this. They have a great bunch of Young Marines and the next class should reach their max of 30 recruits.

LivinSoFree
04-25-05, 09:46 AM
I'll be interested to hear about how it goes, Sgt. I've wanted to get involved with a local unit for a while, but with the school year winding down and the optempo for this summer picking up, it doesn't look like I'll have the opportunity for a while. I knew some kids that did it when I was in high school, a few who even did it concurrently with high school NJROTC... Pretty motivated.

fade2black
05-23-05, 08:57 AM
Well, I just went through my first weekend with the Young Marines. What a great time! I was kind of reserved at first, just getting a feel for how things ran. But jumped right in and started taking over teaching drill and squaring them away in that area. Everything came back to me fairly quickly (I've only been out for 6 years). We had a PFT on Sunday and the IST for the recruits. Speat a lot of time on drill and did some uniform inspections. Overall it was a great weekend and a lot of fun. It's just hard getting used to being called "Sir" all the time! :)

paquick
05-23-05, 01:06 PM
OUTSTANDING FADE.DOSEN'T HURT TO INSTALL A LITTLE DISCIPLINE AT AN EARLY AGE.
+++
SEMPER FI ALL