PDA

View Full Version : The sound of freedom

CAR
04-14-05, 04:07 AM
I just wanted to share a little story that happened a couple days ago.

I always love to hear the roar of a fighter or the thumping of a Helo flying near by. To me it truly is a sound of freedom. Well my two boys (4,2) hear these things and often ask "daddy what's that sound?"..To which I usually reply, "that's the sound of freedom."

Well a couple days a go we were at the opening game of our local Grizzlies (minor league baseball) with a group of about 20. In the opening ceremony two F-15's were on approach to buzz the stadium. You can hear the roar building up, my two boys get wide eyed and look at me..... Their aunt, just playing with my boys asks real loud, "hey what's that sound ........ uncoached and with all the enthusiasm my 4 year old could muster up he yells out ....... "THAT'S THE SOUND OF FREEDOM BABY!!!" (Fist in the air and everything) Just about everyone in our group heard him and made everyone smile, and me proud.

I love the sound of freedom, and what's more I love that my children could love it too.

God Bless the USA :marine:

airframesguru
04-14-05, 07:19 AM
Motivating, truely motivating!

S/F,

Mike

booksbenji
04-14-05, 07:57 AM
:marine:

We (the boys(5,6) and I) would watch the F-4's, helos and A-6's do their go and scoot. We would play control tower and pilots(the boys pilots) and there alot of squeak's and no go 4 flybys. This was were TOP GUN 1st came out. I hated being the control tower i wanta to do a flyby. Alot of fun even today, get msgs on answer maching requesting a flyby:D

Semper Fi

books :marine:

LDO Capt
04-14-05, 09:22 AM
Hey booksbenji I worked at NAS Dallas in the mid 80's. I was on the I&I staff MAG-41 supporting VMFA-112 and HMH-777. Good old Grand Prairie TX. I launched those F-4's...

Tom Hansen
04-15-05, 11:05 AM
Captain:

When did you leave NAS Dallas? A good friend of mine was the S-3 Chief there in teh late 80's and early 90's. Wayne Cope was his name and was a SSgt then but picked up Gunny while there...

LDO Capt
04-15-05, 11:39 AM
I left there in 85-88 I was a Sgt in the Ordnance Shop. I dont recognize the name, my last name is Guimond...

booksbenji
04-15-05, 11:20 PM
:marine:

@ the RR track, went fishing all over mountain creek and watch 'em pull up a sunk F-4. best place in the entire world to watch & hear the entire REAL "SOUND OF FREEDOM". THAT'S THE BEST SOUND TO HEAR BESIDES, 'OOOOHHHRRRAAAHHH".

had 2 friends with their kids there and they tried to do OOOHHHRRAAHHH no can do but the best seal claps and little OOOHHRRAAHHHs you ever heard. :yes:

Semper Fi

books :marine: