PDA

View Full Version : "Retreads"

gunnyg
10-22-02, 12:04 PM
I am aware that only a few of us are really interested in these seeming off-the-wall topics that I get involved with--but there are just a few others out there somewhere....

This one involves so-called "retreads," those Marines, and other servicemembers, who were recalled to duty fom as far back as WWI, apparently.

Trying to rundown, at present, info re WWI Marines recalled for WWII service.

These things do not always result in the desired responses, but sometimes they make for some decent sea stories in the process.

For the few interested, check-out the following, and check bottom of each page for responses--hopefully there will be more responses from members of the WWI/WWII Discussion Lists.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=220604&messageid=1035303778

wrbones
10-22-02, 12:21 PM
Keep up the good work. I don't post on these much as your knowledge is so far beyond mine that I don't want to appear to be a complete dufus. These posts are an asset here and keep me from acquiring stuff from yer site to post here! LOL.

One the subject, you'd think that there would've been a lot of retreads as the Marine Corps just a couple years prior to WWII was down in strength to about 20,000 men. There was a build up in those two years prior to WWII, but not to the levels acquired during the war. Somewhere over 400,000 if I remember correctly. Another fact some might not know, is that 90% of all Marines who served during WWII served in a combat zone. With numbers such as these, there had to have been a number of retreads, both officer and enlisted.

Keep up the good work Marine.