PDA

View Full Version : My Living Will

thedrifter
04-02-05, 06:27 AM
My Living Will

April 2, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Tom Purcell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my family, friends, physicians and my potentially lousy, greedy future wife, who may attempt to whack me as soon as the court-settlement check clears:

I hereby request that if something awful happens to me, that I be kept alive. I have a spirit and soul, after all, and want God, not anyone else, deciding when it is time for me to check out.

But if I end up on a feeding tube in a Persistent Vegetative State and my physicians feel I am incapable of making and communicating my own health care decisions, here is what I want:

Get more opinions! Doctors are often wrong. I have, in fact, been known to show symptoms of a Persistent Vegetative State following happy hours or a long night at the pub.

Before you do anything, I demand that a young female nurse administer a cold Coke and a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a technique that has successfully restored my cognitive functioning in the past.

But if I remain in a vegetative state, I demand that my mother, not my future wife, be my surrogate. I can understand my wife moving on with her life with another fellow, but it would be insane to allow such a woman to determine whether I live or die.

If my wife goes to court to win back the right to make life-death decisions on my behalf -- if she successfully contests my living will and claims I would want to die -- I demand that a competent private investigator makes sure she isn’t also dating the doctors who keep telling judges I am in a Persistent Vegetative State.

If the courts side with her -- and if they sided with Michael Schiavo, despite numerous conflicts of interests, they very well may -- I want the best lawyers in the world to fight the culture of death crowd that embraces her.

If we lose in the state courts, I want my case appealed all the way to the top. I want the federal courts to start fresh -- I want the same considerations that are routinely given to rapists and murderers, other Americans who have been sentenced to death.

And from the beginning, I want Jesse Jackson at my bedside, using his considerable rhetorical skills to articulate my plight. I want Ralph Nader on my legal team. I want Nat Hentoff, a genuine liberal -- he approaches all issues with a broad and open mind in search for truth -- articulating my right to live.

It is important that Americans understand what is really going on -- that as a disabled person, it is my right to be given due process. That before anyone pulls my feeding tube, the evidence must be clear and convincing that this is what I really want, a consideration Terri Schiavo failed to receive.

I want the ACLU to side with my legal team, not my wife’s. This organization claims to be a protector of individual rights, yet it used its influence to strip Terri of hers.

And if my wife is still able to convince the judges, based on hearsay and nothing in writing, that my living will is moot and that I would NOT want to live with a feeding tube, I refuse to die the way Terri did.

I refuse to make it easy on those who sentenced me to my end. No, I want my body to be set on fire, then shot from a rocket launcher over the nation’s capital.

While my flaming body soars through the sky, I want every person who looked the other way -- the media, the courts, and many allegedly liberal folks who claim to stand for individual rights -- to experience my painful and spectacular death.

And most of all, I want my last production to drain every red cent from my trust fund, so that my wife ends up with nothing -- nothing but memories of her loving husband going out with a bang.

Tom Purcell

Ellie

thedrifter
04-02-05, 09:02 AM
Available for printing for free by clicking
http://www.tchospital.org/AddDir/Living%20Will.htm

Living Will

Declaration Of A Desire For A Natural Death As Set Forth In The Right To A Natural Death Act

I, __________________________________________________ ______, being of sound mind, desire that, as specified below, my life not be prolonged by extraordinary means or by artificial nutrition or hydration if my condition is determined to be terminal and incurable or if I am diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state. I am aware and understand that this writing authorizes a physician to withhold or discontinue extraordinary means or artificial nutrition or hydration in accordance with my specifications set forth below.

Initial any of the following as desired:

If my condition is determined to be terminal and incurable or if I should lapse into a persistent vegetative state, I authorize the following:

______My physician may withhold or discontinue extraordinary means only.

______ In addition to withholding or discontinuing extraordinary means, if such are necessary, my physician may withhold or discontinue either artificial nutrition or hydration, or both.

If my physician determines that I am in a persistent vegetative state, I authorize the following:

______My physician may withhold or discontinue extraordinary means only.

______In addition to withholding or discontinuing extraordinary means, if such are necessary, my physician may withhold or discontinue either artificial nutrition or hydration, or both.

This the ______day of ____________________, year_______________

Signature __________________________________________________ _ I hereby state that the

Declarant,________________________________________ ___________ , being of sound mind, signed the attached declaration in my presence; and that I am not related to the Declarant by blood or marriage; and that I do not know or have a reasonable expectation that I would be entitled to any portion of the estate of the Declarant under any existing will or codicil of the Declarant or as an heir under the Intestate Succession Act if the Declarant died on this date without a will. I also state that I am not the Declarant’s attending physician or an employee of the Declarant’s attending physician or an employee of a health facility in which the Declarant is a patient or an employee of a nursing home or any group-care home where the Declarant resides. I further state that I do not now have any claim against the Declarant.

Witness:__________________________________________ ________

Witness:__________________________________________ ________

Certificate

I,________________________________________________ ______________ Clerk (Assistant Clerk) of

Superior Court or Notary Public (circle one as appropriate) for___________________________________

County, North Carolina, hereby certify that __________________________________the Declarant, appeared before me and swore to me and to the witnesses in my presence that this instrument is his/her Declaration of a Desire For a Natural Death, and that he/she had willingly and voluntarily made and executed it as his/her free act and deed for the purposes expressed in it.

I further certify that ___________________________ and ___________________________,

witnesses, appeared before me and swore that they witnessed _____________________________, Declarant, sign the attached Declaration, believing him/her to be sound of mind; and also swore that at the time they witnessed the Declaration (i) they were not related within the third degree to the Declarant or to the Declarant’s spouse, and (ii) they did not know or have a reasonable expectation that they would be entitled to any portion of the estate of the Declarant upon the Declarant’s death under any will of the Declarant or codicil thereto then existing or under the Intestate Succession Act as it provides at that time, and (iii) they were not a physician attending the Declarant or an employee of an attending physician or an employee of a health facility in which the Declarant was a patient or an employee of a nursing home or any group-care home in which the Declarant resided, and (iv) they did not have a claim against the Declarant. I further certify that I am satisfied as to the genuineness and due execution of the Declaration.

This the ____________ day of __________________ , year ___________________

________________________________________ Clerk (Assistant Clerk) of Superior Court or

Notary Public for the County of _______________________________, State of North Carolina.

My commission expires:____________________________________

Ellie

HardJedi
04-02-05, 09:48 AM
i do SOO hate Tom Purcell.

HardJedi
04-02-05, 09:55 AM
I mean, let's think about this for a minute, shall we? We do not have the right to decide who is going to die by puling them off of a feeding tube or resperator, because it is up to god to decide when people will die, right Tom? Fair enough.

If that is the case, then what right do we have to put people on feeding tubes and life support in the FIRST place? This ALSO would be going against GOD'S will, would it not? After all, god is the one who either put us in the condition that meant we NEEDED a feeding tube. What if GOD in all HIS wisdom struck us with a disease or accident that made this nescessary, and then along come HUMAN doctors, and stick in this damn tube to keep us alive, thus defeating GOD'S will.

think about THAT Tommy !

Sgted
04-02-05, 10:15 AM
Thats exactly how I see it HardJedi.
Terri would have passed a long time ago if humans did not step in. As a man who was brought up Catholic I was taught this very important message.
God's will.
Terri's life was to end back in 1990 because it was God's will.