PDA

View Full Version : Last Rites Given Pope John Paul II

Sgted
03-31-05, 04:10 PM
Last rites have been given to Pope John Paul II.
He has a high fever due to a urinary tract infection and his condition has grown grave.

HardJedi
03-31-05, 04:15 PM
Hmnn well, me being me, I am tempted to say something really snarky, or make a wise crack. But belive it or not, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

That being said, to all my catholic brothers and sisters here, I hope the transistion to the next pope goes well for you all.

nc.gal
03-31-05, 05:21 PM
We'll probably be hearing about his death soon.
I'm not Catholic, but how are Popes appointed........

Hopefully, maybe the Pope will recover.

HardJedi
03-31-05, 05:22 PM
I believe there is something like a 15 day waiting period, and then the college of cardinals gets together for a big meeting, and they are locked into a room until a new pope is elected. something like that anyway.

Osotogary
03-31-05, 06:28 PM
The call sign is smoke coming out of the chimney. I believe that that signals that a new Pope has been chosen. ....I think.

Sgted
03-31-05, 07:34 PM
You are right Osotogary

CplCrotty
03-31-05, 09:02 PM
I think Pope John Paul II will be remembered as one of the truly great ones out of the 260+ Popes since the founding of the Catholic Church with Saint Peter. He is a Pope of the people who had a tremendous influence on the fall of communism in Eastern and Central Europe.

Sgted
03-31-05, 09:12 PM
You are right on CplCrotty.
His legacy will live on forever.

greensideout
03-31-05, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Sgted

His legacy will live on forever.

And his legacy is?

Sgted
03-31-05, 11:20 PM
He was a very popular Pope. One of only a few that was not Italian.
He made some major changes within the Catholic church.
And, as CplCrotty said, he had great influence on the fall of communism.
He survived an assasination attempt.

Sophora
04-01-05, 01:09 AM
Being a Catholic I admire Our Popr for the political influence he had on our world. He came into his position as a Pole when the people in Poland were fighting for solidaritary. His influence helped the people of Poland gain freedom from communism's chains. As a woman I hope that the Church will come into the new millinium and accept the fact that birth control is acceptable. When my mom had her 4 child the doctor told her she should not have another and should have her tubes tied. She asked her Priest and he said it was forbidden by God and she would go to hell, she soon got pregnant again. Dad was a Marine in Nam when she had my baby brother. If she had died she would have left 4 children with a father in a war zone behind. It was the grace of God and a very dedicated and talented doctor and staff who were able to save her and my brother. My baby brother bears scars to this day of the extreme means they used to bring him into this world and save him and mom. After the delivery the doctor told the Priest she would die if she ever had another child, she was given Special permission from the Church to have her tubes tied.

There are Catholic woman all over this world who give birth to children only to watch them starve because of their poverty stricken lives. I Pray we get a new Pope who will see the realities of the world and allow woman to have sex with protection.

Pope John did much to free people from bondage, I hope our next Pope can start to free women.

My four brothers and myself all play musical instraments, Mom says it's because we're all rythem babies.

Wyoming
04-01-05, 06:10 AM
I think I just heard on F&F that this Pope is the only Pope that over half the World's population has ever known.

Interesting statistic.

Sgted
04-01-05, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by bigalholmes165
I think I just heard on F&F that this Pope is the only Pope that over half the World's population has ever known.

Interesting statistic.

I think that might be attributed to the fact that Pope John Paul II was the most traveled Pope in history. Of course, advanced technology (TV, satellite) gave him extraordinary visibility.

His condition this morning is very grave and his blood pressure has become unstable.

thedrifter
04-01-05, 07:19 AM
Faithful Awaiting Sad Word from Rome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
April 01, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Pope John Paul II is not unconscious but he is critically ill and has unstable blood pressure, a Vatican spokesman announced Friday.

The pope has been informed of the "gravity" of his health situation, and knowing that his health is failing, the 84-year-old pope chose to stay in his apartment rather than go to the hospital, the spokesman said.

He described the pope as calm and lucid and still engaged in the faith that has sustained him personally and inspired millions of people around the world.

The pope celebrated Mass at 6 o'clock Friday morning, the Vatican said. Earlier, the Vatican announced that a urinary tract infection had produced "septic shock and a cardio-circulatory collapse." The pope received the Catholic Church's last rites on Thursday.

Italian media reports said the cardinals who would elect a new pope are beginning to arrive in Rome from all over the world, and a Vatican spokesman said the Vatican press office would remain open all night in case any "news of importance will have to be announced.""

Ellie

RLeon
04-01-05, 01:25 PM
When the Holy Father reaches heaven he will be in goog company, but before he meets with St. Peter and ultamatley reaches God, he will have to pass by the Marines posted at the front gates. I'm sure they will snap him a sharp salute and welcome him home.

thedrifter
04-01-05, 01:43 PM
Now since he is done his suffering...
Prayers are with him to have God open his doors...

God Bless

Ellie

Osotogary
04-01-05, 02:06 PM
Interesting reading at this time would be, for those of interest, the Pope Prophesies of St Malachy. According to St Malachy prophesies there are only two more Popes shown on his list after this one.

Cole11
04-01-05, 03:53 PM
Semper Fi Holy Father

Gearhead2077
04-01-05, 05:31 PM
Though I am not a Catholic, I give full respect to the Pope as he has done so much for the lives of others. He will surely be welcomed home.

marinemom
04-01-05, 07:33 PM
Being a Catholic of Polish descent, this is a time of both sorrow and joy that the Holy Father is meeting his Creator in perfect bliss. <br />
<br />
Now, as to how a new Pope is elected, it goes something like...

yellowwing
04-01-05, 07:43 PM
Archaic as it seems, it still seems to give plenty of room for the Will of God to intervene. Who ever is next has a lot on his Papal plate.

John Paull II, made major strides in reconciliations. In my view, true reconciliations are a freeing experience.

The next Pontif has that to build on or not. God bless Him.

Arlene Horton
04-01-05, 08:59 PM
Since the Pope is comatose (at last report), the College of Cardinals will travel to Rome to observe nine days of mourning. They will then be gathered in private quarters, away from any secular or other influences, meet to nominate a new Pope and cast ballots. If one is chosen, the ballots will be burned and will show white smoke from the chimney. If not, either wet straw or a chemical will be added to the ballots and black smoke will appear. They will then be required to take another vote, etc. until a majority deciscin will result in a successor to John Paul II. It follows a long established ritual which will probably eventually change as time passes. Knowing how "swiftly" change occurs in the Catholic church (LOL) it'll probably be another century or so! In any case, we all hope that John Paul II will have a peaceful end of life and greet so many Marines who have preceeded him.

yellowwing
04-02-05, 05:42 AM
...we all hope that John Paul II will have a peaceful end of life and greet so many Marines who have preceeded him.we all hope that John Paul II will have a peaceful end of life and greet so many Marines who have preceeded him.

Semper Fi John Paull II! Your really were a maverick. We got your back!