PDA

View Full Version : What to send a Marine on a "Float" info.

Osotogary
03-27-05, 11:15 AM
Could use some advice on what a good care package for a Marine on a float would contain. I'm thinking that the contents might have to be different because of storage considerations aboard ship. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

drillinstructor
03-27-05, 11:59 AM
cigarettes and copenhagen

Phantom Blooper
03-27-05, 04:16 PM
Not really, the storage space is very limited on ship. Aloot of items like batteries and geedunk and knick knacks are available at the ships store.But...the availability or specific brand is limited further into deployment. If his ship stops in Rota,Spain he should be afforded the chance for on base liberty and go to the PX.

You are correct,the space is limited,but for forstuffs except for certain things for him only the box(Package) will shrink rapidly.

toothpaste

shampoo

shaving cream

toliet paper

hand lotion

razor blades

mouth wash

wet wipes

hand sanitizer

lotion

Kool-Aid

Ice Tea

Gatorade powdered mix

chips and snack stuff like Pringles or Doritos

Vienna sausages

beef jerkey

chewing gum

mints

hard candy

Instant coffee & creamer

Foot powder

deodorant

eye drops

Paperbacks

Writing supplies & stamps

International phone cards.

And anything else you want to send,that you can come up with.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

mrbsox
03-27-05, 07:23 PM
If this is our 'Mortarman' going on float, you spend alot of time staying out of the Navy's way.

My
A$$
Rides
In
Naval
Equipment

Played alot of cards;
Spades, hearts, rummy.. Cards can be bought on ship, but a cribbage board is small, and sturdy.
Magnetic travel games.
Paperbacks are good as mentioned above. Find something that has a series or story line to it. Send them one at a time, in order. As they get passed around, YOUR Marine won't have to worry about storing them.
Home town News paper
Pre stamped postcards. He can mail from where ever, and have the postmark for prosperity.
Ziplock bags
Mom would send me FRAGILE goodies in 1qt paint cans
Spices, A1 sauce, condiments and such
A link to this web site :banana:

Wish him well, and remind him that we ALL know he is doing us PROUD !!

Osotogary
03-27-05, 08:36 PM
I couldn't go to sleep tonight without thanking all of you for your advice and well wishes. I understand that the berths have heating and airconditioning and that there is a full size gym of sorts aboard. Sounds like a Norwegian Cruise Ship. LOL. By the way, where are the Marines usually berthed in conjunction to the rest of the crew?
Once again, thanks.

greensideout
03-27-05, 09:00 PM
What kind of ship will he be on? My only experience was on the smaller ones. The largest was an LPH, and we were berthed, (LOL) I mean our racks were forward at the bow. They were eight racks high with about 12" to 16" apart. (You slid out of the rack to turn over.) It's most likely better now.

Phantom Blooper
03-27-05, 09:44 PM
In my expirences on 6 deployments the air condioner was on,but with all the racks as*hole to elbow it felt like the heat was constanly on. It was in relationship to packing a can of sardines. I never saw a full size gym. They had a few weight machines that you could use for a full body workout.No free weights because they would roll with the waves. I was on LPH's and LST's. And We were put below forward. None of my ships were named the Titanic but the way we lived they could renamed it. If you were not in General Quarters or Flight operations you could go up on the deck to run or fresh air and maybe some sun.My last "cruise I was in the Staff Quaters topside. The place to be is the Chiefs quarters(how do you think they get a fat man's belly to kiss,when you cross the equator?) or the Captains cabin. The captains mess has all the china ,silver, and linens.And holds the ships artifacts. Down below in the mess deck you get trays to eat off of. There are movies flown back and forth, ship to ship for your nightly entertainment. Most play spades,cards,board games,write letters and read. A constant problem was 5 different radios blasting at one time. All in all it is a good time but whoever came up with the word cruise for a military shipboard deployment was badly mistaken. Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Osotogary
03-27-05, 10:07 PM
GSO-
It's the Kearsarge. I think it carries (round figures) 2,000 crew members and about 2,100 Marines.

mrbsox
03-28-05, 06:47 AM
http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/detail/sea/lhd03_detail.html (http://)

My last was on the TARAWA class, LHA 4, U.S.S. Nassau. What a monster. Tanks, tracks, trucks... EVERYTHING on the same ship.
Previous floats had been on LPH's and LSD's. Took all of them to carry the gear.

The WASP class is supposed to be a bit larger. The link above will give you the details. Even had a weapons locker designed specifically for holding the mortars. Could clamp down tubes, bipods, baseplates, to keep from rolling around. Rifle racks right on the rack to secure the M16. We figured out how to punch the bores an dgeneral cleaning (salt air) while it was still secured !!

He live from his sea bag, and 1 cubic foot wall locker.

Terry

Phantom Blooper
03-28-05, 07:10 AM
http://www.kearsarge.navy.mil/ (http://) Hope it works! S/F Chuck Hall

jo_beth
03-28-05, 11:51 AM
If you do send toliet paper, get the good stuff, like charmin. not the johnwayne TP.

Osotogary
03-28-05, 12:14 PM
I would assume something other than 1 ply? :)

mrbsox
03-28-05, 01:57 PM
Didn't know they made 320 grit in 2 ply :banana:

Helps keep the 'roids under control !!

Osotogary
03-28-05, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, mrbsox. Now, instead of going to the local supermarket I'll head straight for Home Depot. I tell ya, I'm happy I started this thread. LOL

Phantom Blooper
03-28-05, 03:41 PM
Now let's all sing along:

"Stranded,stranded,stranded a toliet bowl,what do you do when your stranded and don't have a roll?"

"Be a man,use your hand!"

Stranded,stranded,stranded on a toliet bowl."

Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall :marine: