PDA

View Full Version : Amphibious, Lav, and Tanks

IGOTGLOCKS
03-24-05, 06:56 PM
I was wondering if Amphibious Assault Vehicles, Lav's, and Tanks can normally withstand a IED?

HardJedi
03-24-05, 07:27 PM
whats an IED?

IGOTGLOCKS
03-24-05, 07:35 PM
Improvised explosive device.

jinelson
03-24-05, 07:44 PM
It would all depend on the size of the charge they are good to go for small arms fire but do have limited armor capability. An RPG most likely but a 500 lb. to a 1,000 lb. charge probably not.

HardJedi
03-24-05, 07:54 PM
i sure wouldn't bet on an LAV 25 surviving one, not unless they have beefed up the Armour in the last 10 years

Eaglestrikes
03-24-05, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by IGOTGLOCKS
I was wondering if Amphibious Assault Vehicles, Lav's, and Tanks can normally withstand a IED?

Perhaps I can answer this. I was a LVT driver. In fact I tested the LVTP-7 or AAV as it is now called at Camp Del Mar. FMC built them originally.
I also work at the Anniston Army Depot which works on the LVT's and Tanks. The LAV's are worked on elsewhere.
We currently have some tanks at the Depot that got hit with IED's.
They are Salvaged. Non recoverable. Same for some of the LVT's which have a thinner skin. Recovery overall is good.
Survivability overall is good. The LVT's and LAV's were built for speed and maneuverability as well as the unique LVT capability to float. Ergo they are thin skinned. However when additional armor is added, some ablative, some not, the Vehicles do well in protecting their occupants.
You must consider the size, and blast direction of the IED in accounting for damage. Some of those devices are made for heavy armor. The blast is focused and directed. Nothing is invulnerable. IED's are not new. We had them in Nam. I lost an LVTP 5 to one and I know others that were hit by them also.
I hope that answerers your question. Semper Fi.

lprkn
03-28-05, 11:10 PM
No offense to anyone, but do you think it's a good idea to talk about the weaknesses of our armored vehicles on the internet?

BRIAN J
05-10-05, 03:36 PM
ARE WEAKNESS IN ARMORED VEHICLES IS ALREADY KNOWN BY THE IRAQI INTELLIGENTS.

USMCgrunt0331
05-10-05, 03:46 PM
yeah, the media tells them everything anyways.

Eaglestrikes
05-10-05, 07:52 PM
After twenty years in the Military, After having held a clearance up to Top Secret. Being as I am holding one now. I don't think I am going to put out anything that is classified. In fact I know I am...