PDA

View Full Version : A favor to ask of an older veteran

PFCJon
03-23-05, 11:46 PM
I'm taking an anthropology class and the professor has assigned us a "life history project". Basically, the idea is to interview a person with a different background than your own and to tell their stories from a point of view that compares the cultural differences between you and them. I was thinking about this and decided that I'd like to find a veteran, someone who volunteered and fought for the country. I do not come from a military family, with one exception, none of my relatives have served in the military during a time of war. If any of you Marines wouldn't mind donating a bit of your time to tell some old sea stories to a poolee/student, I would appreciate it.

This is a cut-and-paste from the syllabus: For this final project, you will interview a person whose sociocultural background differs significantly from your own, in terms of race, ethnicity, or social class. The person should be an adult, preferably middle-aged or older, and should be someone who is not directly related to you or well known to you.

The interview (which you should tape-record if at all possible) should be “open-ended” -- that is, you should ask questions that encourage the person to tell his/her life story (or stories) in his/her own way. Your main objectives are to find out how aspects of the sociocultural contexts in which the person has lived over the course of his/her lifetime have influenced those life experiences and his/her world view, and how the person contextualizes, interprets, and makes sense of his/her life experiences.

Then, in a paper of 8-10 pages, you will analyze this life history in terms of topics and concepts covered in this course. This paper constitutes your final exam, and therefore should draw on ideas and materials that we have been working with throughout the semester (and should include appropriate references). Further details about this assignment will be discussed in class.

Your life history paper should be typed (in a font comparable to the one used here), double-spaced with one-inch margins. Late papers will be penalized one-third of a letter grade for each day past the due date (e.g. a B becomes a B- if one day late, a C+ if two days late, etc.), unless you have made arrangements with me prior to the due date or have a valid, documented excuse afterward. You should keep a copy of your paper for yourself.

jinelson
03-24-05, 12:45 AM
DEPjon I tried to PM you last year to volunteer but you never opened it , I just guessd that you were'nt familiar with how this site worked. The offer is still open and I believe I fullfill all of the criteria that you have stated. You may contact me through my profile email address or PM me.

Jim