PDA

View Full Version : Housing

Almosthere2005
03-16-05, 07:48 AM
This is probably the stupidest question of all, but then I was told that the only stupid question was the unasked. If we decided to live in military baracks after boot camp, are we allowed to have pets? What is the policy?

jegries
03-16-05, 08:27 AM
More than likely pets aren't allowed in Barracks. However every unit is different but I've never heard of it being allowed.

Almosthere2005
03-16-05, 08:50 AM
I figured as much. I just wanted to know because I don't want to have to give my cat away.

Sgt Ski 2/7
03-16-05, 01:16 PM
Well When I was a Plt SGt I always told my guys what I don't know won't hurt me. I knew of 2 guys who had dogs one had a snake and another had a cat and i never saw them when it came time for room inspections. I always felt if it gave my guys alittle bit of at home feeling than it was okay with me. You just have to remember about accomadations when on deployment or field training. But another idea is when you get to your duty station you can find some other guys and split an apt. in town. We had 10 guys living in a house on the beach at Pendleton in San Juan Capistrano and it was worth all the money I paid for it. Only time will tell. If you stay at base housing there is a limit to what kind of pets and how many you have so check with them when you get there.

Almosthere2005
03-16-05, 01:34 PM
So, basically as long as you don't get caught you are pretty much in the clear huh? And I am also guessing if you share a room in the barracks it is guy/guy, and girl/girl.

jinelson
03-16-05, 01:37 PM
I like Sgt Ski also told my Marines that what dont know officially dosent hurt me either, and here I thought that I was the only NCO to have that kind of heart. In Vietnam it as a whole different story especially when I was serving on the wing side and we were generally home in or own hootches each night. I knew many Marines including myself that had befriended a lonely pootch or two. Unfortunatly stateside was a different story and I never heard of, or saw it.

And your right almosthere the only stupid question is the one not asked.

:marine:

Sgt Ski 2/7
03-16-05, 09:02 PM
Yes it is guy/guy and girl/ girl rooms. I was always a firm believer that if you stick up for your men and take alittle heat they will never let you down when the time comes. It proved right when I was wounded in the Gulf. My boys where right there under fire to make sure i got safe and was treated. I think that is one thing a good Nco should always learn. That thier troops are more important thean themselves. If you take care of them than they will take car of you.

THATFEMALE
03-16-05, 09:28 PM
Almostthere, listen to my Staff Sergeant and Sergeant. It all depends on the unit and your NCO's. Depending on the animal you might be able to. Give it some time though. Get yourself set up and establish yourself as a force to be reckond with during field days and it could be possible. I've had three scorpions in my room since I was a PVT and so far so good.

Nagalfar
03-16-05, 10:44 PM
Are not all pets to be BBQed after 72 hours or who ever can get to them first?

lprkn
03-17-05, 03:00 AM
Cat... the other white meat.

devildog21345
03-17-05, 05:03 AM
So Many cats so few receipies

Sgt Ski 2/7
03-17-05, 02:24 PM
Hey devildog spend alittle to much time on the Asian contintent.....LOL

HardJedi
03-17-05, 02:44 PM
i had a roomie with three snakes and a bird in the 2nd LAR barracks

Ed Palmer
03-17-05, 03:15 PM
i CANT SEND THE PICTURES SO YOU HAVE TO CLICK TO SEE

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/PUPPY31.jpg

Ed Palmer
03-17-05, 03:16 PM
i CANT SEND THE PICTURES SO YOU HAVE TO CLICK TO SEE

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\My Photos\fortn1[1].jpg

devildog21345
03-17-05, 04:28 PM
Sgt SKI 2/7

No never made it to Asia justing posting as a joke. I like cats even have one .