PDA

View Full Version : Platoon photos Hollywood Marines only!

James F. Owings
03-15-05, 10:11 PM
After countless dead ends I have the info needed to obtain a mint quality print of platoon picture (3017, 1968 in my case) This info is good *only* for MCRD San Diego graduates.

Web sites were dead (turns out they lost their web guy) and phone numbers wrong. I now have "the word..."

Only the last few years negatives are in the hands of the commercial firm at MCRD. Old guy with old biz donated 1929 on negatives to the MCRD Historical Society P.O. Box 400085 San Diego CA 92140.

The phone # is (619) 296-3840. If you get a fax whine, try another time... somebody goofed and left it on. I called and spoke to a real hooman-bean so I know that it works...

The new website is under construction: mcrdsdhistory.com
Click on center picture.

It is a good idea to call before ordering so that they can check and make sure that your picture is there (this is platoon photos only... not books...) If calling re a relative make sure that you have year and platoon #.

In the letter that I sent I mentioned that the Platoon Commander is Hawaiian, one D.I. is Mexican-American and the third Caucasian... anything else and they have the wrong negative...

I also told them that in the picture, I am the only one smiling... (I was not aware at the time that I was...) Everybody else looked as if they had been interrupted from bullwhipping babies or some other sinister activity... also known as "War Face..."

We got photos back ten days before graduation. D.I.s "invited" me into the duty hut, and for the next hour I got to "watch TV..."

Cost of print is $38.50 (includes shipping) If that seems high, remember three things... we are lucky to have them at all (remember, last few years check commercial firm) the museum uses the profits to fund their other activities... ... ... and you can always try getting a print at Wal-Mart...

The packing material is sturdy, but if your box is small or not secure, you might want them to send c/o your work or some other address. Figure 10 biz days from the time that they get your check.

Remember... Hollywood Marines only!

-Jim-:marine: