PDA

View Full Version : The EARL PATCH loses a MOH holder

booksbenji
03-14-05, 06:08 PM
:marine:

George H. O'Brien Jr.

George H. O'Brien, Jr., of Midland, passed away Friday, March 11, 2005.

He was born September 10, 1926 to George H. O'Brien, Sr., and Della Cartwright O'Brien in Fort Worth, Texas. George was raised and educated in Big Spring, Texas. He later attended Texas Tech University where he graduated with a B.S. in Geology. George proudly served his country in the U.S. Marines during the Korean War receiving the Medal of Honor in 1952 for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a Rifle Platoon Commander of Company H, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced). On July 28, 1979 he married Sandra Rogers Holland in Lubbock, Texas. His memberships include the Medal of Honor Society, AAPG and the Marine Scholarship.

He was preceded in death by his parents.

George is survived by his wife, Sandra O'Brien of Midland, TX; daughter, Terrye O'Brien of Austin, TX; sons, Mike O'Brien and his wife, Susan, of Midland, TX; Robb O'Brien of Fort Worth, TX; Dick Holland and his wife, Jody, of Midland, TX; daughter, Ann Daugherty and her husband, Mark, of Alpine, TX; daughter, Dorothy Stillwell and her husband, Frank, of Dallas, TX; brother, Joe O'Brien and his wife Edith of Fairfax, VA; and numerous grandchildren.

Memorial services have been scheduled for 3:00 P.M. Monday, March 14, 2005 at First Presbyterian Church. Interment will be at 10:30 A.M. Wednesday, March 16, 2005 at the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, Texas. Arrangements are under the direction of Ellis Funeral Home.

Memorials may be directed to the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, P.O. Box 3008, Princeton, NJ 08543-3008.

SEMPER FI MY BROTHER

books :marine:

I knew Mr. O'Brien since the the '70's and he worked everyday in the PATCH. Not just in the office but the field. I stood at attention everyday I worked with him and after 3 days of ATTENTION I was told to be AT EASE. :marine:

booksbenji
03-17-05, 08:46 AM

George OŽBrien Jr. was awarded the Medal of Honor for gallantry in combat half a world away in Korea in 1952, when he overcame a gunshot wound and enemy fire to lead fellow Marines in battle.

On Wednesday, OŽBrien was laid to rest with military honors in the Texas State Cemetery.

"He was a great, great soldier," said Michael Thornton, another Medal of Honor recipient and one of six to attend OŽBrienŽs funeral. "He was an even greater human being."

OŽBrien died March 11 in Midland. He was 78. His death leaves just 127 surviving winners of the nationŽs highest military honor, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

"Our numbers are dwindling," said Thornton, 56, who has homes in the Dallas and Houston areas and was awarded his medal for service in Vietnam.

Gov. Rick Perry and state Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel, attended OŽBrienŽs funeral. Following a 21-gun salute, Perry presented OŽBrienŽs family with a Texas state flag. The family was also presented with the American flag that was draped over OŽBrienŽs casket.

"ItŽs a great honor for me to be here to honor a Marine who served in harmŽs way," Patterson said.

Born in Fort Worth and raised in Big Spring, OŽBrien was a second lieutenant when he led his platoon to take a strategic hill position. Although shot through the arm, he led the assault on bunkers and killed at least three soldiers in hand-to-hand combat.

He refused to be evacuated for treatment and continued to lead his platoon for nearly four hours, according to his medal citation, which acknowledged his exceptional "daring and forceful leadership."

Retired Army Col. Robert Howard of San Antonio, who was awarded the Medal of Honor during Vietnam, said OŽBrien was most proud of his duty as a liaison officer for the transfer of American prisoners of war.

"Being able to bring those American boys home," Howard said. "That meant a lot to him."

Howard said he and OŽBrien had been friends for more than 30 years but once went 10 years without speaking after the two bickered about their respective services. They eventually reconciled and enjoyed a long friendship, Howard said.

"I was a mean Army soldier. He was a mean Marine," Howard said. "He told me, ŽIŽll make a Marine private out of you, Colonel.Ž"

Thornton said burying a Medal of Honor winner while the country has soldiers engaged in Iraq is a stark reminder of the sacrifices made by those in the armed services.

"Today we put to rest a great American hero," Thornton said. "I will never let George OŽBrienŽs memory be lost."

http://www.medalofhonor.com/GeorgeHOBrien.htm

click hear to hear TAPS:

http://www.lilesnet.com/patriotic/music/taps.htm

REST IN PEACE, MY BROTHER MARINE

SEMPER FI

books

booksbenji
04-06-05, 01:19 AM
:marine: <br />
<br />
Our CIC gave the MOH to a : <br />
<br />
<br />
TEXICAN native receives Medal of Honor <br />
<br />
<br />
WASHINGTON – Outnumbered and exposed, Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith stayed at his gun, beating back...