PDA

View Full Version : Wondering?

greensideout
03-09-05, 10:51 PM
I have been wondering about the mission and purpose of this site?

It seems that something has been lost.

If I understood it correctly before, it was about Marines talking to and helping other Marines and to share our experiences.

This site was a success because of the outstanding performance of it's top moderator, Roger. But Roger is gone now, God rest his soul!

We now deal with Mama Marine and Wife Marine and Poolee Marine that act as if they can walk by our side. Mama and Wife Marine, you are welcome but remember that you are not a Marine. Poolee, show some respect! We hope to help you but don't think that you are a Marine yet and that we want to hear any smart A remarks from you.

We have also lost some good Marines with the boot. What is that about? We like to mix it up and if a Marine shoots a round over the bow of another, so what! That's what we do!

What is this site about?

Wondering?

chezzplayr05
03-09-05, 10:59 PM
For me it's about logging in, raising a glass to Roger, and reaching for that motivation that is so hard to come by here in the civilian world. It's about keeping the bond alive.

woodman
03-09-05, 11:17 PM
Good question GSO I have been wondering the same thing here lately. Hope retirement is still going good for you. Semper Fi

thedrifter
03-09-05, 11:19 PM
How ironic with this post.

One Year Ago Today was the Passing of My Late Husband Roger...
Lots of things have changed for myself and my children..and I can see with all who had known him...
I surely miss him...but deep in my Heart I know Roger is around us...guiding us, to better places...

My children and I will be visiting his grave again today...I was there a few days ago, to place flowers down and we sang Happy Birthday to him...Yes my children gave him his cards...Oh do we miss him...but I know in My Heart he is in a Better Place Now...

There is one spot upon this earth
My spirit yearns to see
Across the wild prairie land
Far, very far, from me.

Yet I would smile when storms arise
And every danger brace,
Could I but reach that sacred spot.
It is my husband's grave.

There I would lay me down and weep
And dream of joys gone by,
When my darling love could sooth each care
And every want supply.

There I would gather flowers fair
Rich in fragrance and perfume.
The choicest, loveliest, and the rare
I'd scatter over his tomb.

I'd plant a cedar by his head
A willow at his feet
And, on his breast, oh tell my why
Not lay me down and sleep.

There I would rest me free from care
Till God would call me home.
And then my loved one's joys I'd share,
Far from his earthly tomb.

Farewell, my darling, farewell.
We'll not be parted long.
I soon shall join the ransom throng
And sing with you redemption's song.

Soon I will leave this gloomy vale
And through the gates of death I'll sail
And then our joys will be complete.
We'll worship at our Saviour's feet.

Ellie

THATFEMALE
03-10-05, 12:06 AM
Corporal you bring up a good point. For me this site is a place to come after work and gain some knowledge from Marines old and new. It's a place where I can hear stories that fuel into the motivation I need to become and outstanding Marine. It's a place where I can speak my mind and watch others do the same. It's a place where I can still get a good butt chewin if I need one.
More importantly, it's a place where I can pay my respects to all the Marines who came before. Sorry if this sounds corny. Semper FI. :marine:

chezzplayr05
03-10-05, 12:20 AM
THATFEMALE:

From what I've read of your post's U R an outstanding Marine already. Keep striving for excellence.

Chezz

chezzplayr05
03-10-05, 12:36 AM
To the TOP MODERATOR:

I never had much respect for anything till I joined the Marine Corps. I found this site in a state of depression and you here have lifted my spirits. What can I say? It's beyond words the gratitude I express for this excellent site that you maintain. I believe that "Once a Marine Always a Marine" applies to families as well, but I learned that the hard way. I believe Mom's, wive's, familie's, and poolee's should all be included in the fray. If there's anything I can do to help keep this site alive let me know. I'm not a member of the VFW, MCA or anything else, but I believe you've got something good here that I would support like I would the VFW, etc. Why? Because you've helped me.

God Bless, and
Semper Fi' from a hard Marine

HardJedi
03-10-05, 06:28 AM
Well Greensideout, I agree with most of what you say.

I personally use this site for many things. To speak to like minded individuals, to read news about my fellow Marines, to try and help the younger Marines and Poolees when I can, and OBVIOUSLY I use this site as a support system for myself somtimes.

I have made a few good friends here, and expanded my knowledge of the Marine Corps, both past and present.

Ellie, I hope all is well with you and the kids, and as briefly as I knew him, I still miss Roger as well.

As far as what GSO said about a few Marines Either leaving this site, or being forced to leave, I truly think that is is a shame, all of the ones I am thinking of anyway were good members of this site, and family, and I think theyare missed by everyone in one way or another.

barryjh
03-10-05, 06:39 AM
After being backstabbed in the past year by my civilian 'FRIENDS" I HAD to get on this site and get back with my true BROTHERS. i have alredy told my wife to take my ashes to P.I. ,so i can spend eternity with my BROTHERS. I read your posts just so i can reasure myself that men of courage and spirit still exist in this world. some of your posts make me laugh, some make tears flow.ONLY my BAND OF BROTHERS could joke about and say the sh--you do. i love it,brings back memories of the craziest,wildestmost special people i have ever met. i thank all you MARINES for giving that back to me. GOD BLESS everyone of MY BROTHERS. SEMPER FI

Osotogary
03-10-05, 07:54 AM
Leatherneck.com and this civilian's ongoing experience.

I liken it to getting out of a Ford Pinto wearing a polyester suit, and walking into a Biker Bar and then ordering a milkshake.
Marine Corps Websites are intimidating and irascible by nature but they are also very benevolent, thoughtful, resourceful, charitable and down right "to the point".
Speaking from personal experience.
When I first entered this site I didn't know what to expect but compared to other sites I had visited this site was pretty much "Hard Corps". There wasn't alot of pussy footing around. What was asked was answered. What was debatable was debated, sometimes to the max. Believe me, you don't have to be a Marine to appreciate forthrightness.
My motive for entering this site was to find out as much as I could about the United States Marine Corps so that I could relate to my Marine son. Wether that meant asking, what I perceived at the time, as a stupid question or just scoping out the threads, links and forums. I understood (no one had to tell me) that for me to benefit from this website there would have to be a trade off. For me to get I would have to contribute in some way shape or form and that was fine with me.
I was asked "Why do you hang around Marines?". Good question because I am not a wannabe, groupie, or Marine Corps kiss butt. It just has evolved over the past couple of years, to the point where I have developed associations, even friendships, with men and women who just happen to be Marines. There is no sense in forsaking friendship just because I am not a Marine.
Keeping this all in mind I have never lost fact that I am still the fellow in the Ford Pinto, dressed in a polyester suit, entering a Biker Bar....only this time I order Jack Daniels, toast the ladies on wednesday night, say a prayer for our Armed Forces and then leave when the money runs out. LOL. A Marine Corps site is a Marine Corps site and that is how it should be. All those entering need to know this.
Adios.
Gary

bigwalt
03-10-05, 08:13 AM
I haven't been on this site to long but the memories it brings back for me, the true stories that are told hear about the war and the true meaning of BROTHERHOOD mean a great deal to me. It helps me out in the time of need and the need to get away from this civilian life. I'm so thankful for this site and hope to meet some of the people here in the near future. Maybe not this reunion but next year definatley. Thanks to everyone that has and continues to run this site. SEMPER FI!