PDA

View Full Version : Fergie's footslog

thedrifter
03-09-05, 11:11 AM
Fergie's footslog
devon.editorial@archant.co.uk
09 March 2005
FORMER Royal Marine Bob Ferguson is preparing for a 326-mile 'yomp' around the South West coast path in aid of charity.

Fergie, who will be 65 this year, is well known as the caretaker of Bideford Higher cemetery.

He will be returning to life under canvas for up to 19 days as he walks to raise funds for the Bideford Youth Pipe Band.

The money will help towards the £8,500 needed to take the 35-strong band to Pipefest 2005 in Edinburgh this August. The event is an attempt to assemble a world record 12,000 pipers in Holyrood Park and a charity effort to benefit Marie Curie cancer care.

Fergie, who served in the Royal Marines for 27 years, is an honorary member of the Bideford band, for youngsters between the ages of 10 and 18 years. His wife Pat is its Chieftan and leader of Torridge District Council.

Fergie will be setting off from Plymouth on Saturday and will finish at the Royal Marine Barracks at Chivenor.

He said: "My knees creak a bit more now, but I think I will manage. I was mountain and Arctic warfare trained and spent seven winters in Norway - and I will be taking my special diet of porridge and pilchards."

To sponsor him, call (01237) 422477 or e-mail fergie @rockbymail.co.uk

Ellie