PDA

View Full Version : Mama's perception of the events as her pride and joy, "Little Johnnie" arrives, MCRD.

greensideout
03-07-05, 05:28 PM
(The bus rolls to a stop, the door opens and the Drill Instructor climbs in.)

"Hello everyone. Welcome to MCRD. Please grab the things that you brought with you and stand in a group beside the bus. That's right. Good. Hi. Welcome."

(The Drill Instructor moves to the front of the group.)

"Ok, I see that everyone is off now. You did that very well! On behalf of the staff here, we want to be the first to say thank you for joining the Marine Corps. We hope to make your stay here a pleasant and enjoyable experience. If you have any questions at all, please raise your hand anytime and remember that I am here to help you."

"If you would all please look around on the ground you will see yellow footprints. We have them there for your convenience. I'm going to now ask that each of you find a set and stand on them, ok? Good, good, fine job. Is there anyone that has not found a set? If so, please raise your hand and I will help you find one. Alright, there's a hand.Come right over here and look. No one is standing on these. They can be yours. You're welcome! Glad to help. You are a fine looking young man. Did you play sports in high school? I thought so, you look strong and really stand up nice and straight! What is your name? Little Johnnie? I like that name and would like to shake your hand. Oh, I almost forgot. When you visit with me, you are asked to call me Sir. No, no, no, don't get upset! I know you didn't know that but now, with practice, you will get it right. Just give it some time and please don't get upset".

"While we are standing here I want you to reach out and shake the hand of those around you. Visit and take a moment to get acquainted, ok? My, my, what a noisy group you are!"

"Now that we know each other a little better, please follow me this way to another area and we will get you the things you need."

(Meanwhile back at home, Mama will be so pleased to hear that the Drill Instructor noticed her "Little Johnnie" and even picked him out to shake his hand----Sigh.)

LOL. Was fun to write this. Now would someone care to write what "Little Johnnie's REAL experience was when he arrived on the bus---or maybe your own?

Semper Fi,
GSO

marinemom
03-07-05, 05:44 PM
And Mama should have gotten the real deal when she got Little Johnnies's phone call and heard the famous "background music" - seesh, she has got to be one of "The Mothers of America".

Patty_McOorah
03-07-05, 06:23 PM
As I remember it, as soon as we drove through that front gate, not one word was said. Then this mountain of a man wearing a smokey bear got on the bus, and with a booming voince said, "My name is Ssgt. Collins, on behalf of me and the rest of the staff, welcome to MCRD San Diego, NOW GET OFF MY BUS!!!! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW!" From then on it was red faces and screaming mouths about six inces from my nose for the next 13 weeks.

greensideout
03-07-05, 09:22 PM
Patty_McOorah, I hear ya! When we arrived and the bus stopped three Drill Instructors entered the bus shouting at us, GET OUT! MOVE ! MOVE! MOVE!, grabbing our gear and throwing it out, grabbing us and throwing us out. It got much worse finding the yellow footprints!

Looking back at what seemed an explosion was really the begining of our training to quickly react to events and they would later train us with how to react.

It was a bit of he11 though for the young kids that we were.

Patty_McOorah
03-07-05, 09:26 PM
All I remember was just a blur of bodies in pure terror running as fast as they could where they thought they needed to be. No matter where we were, it was the wrong place, and we were instantly corrected. That was over four years ago, and I can remember it like it was just yesterday. Many marines, former and current, tell me that I will never forget that first 5 min on the depot.

sm@@thrider
03-08-05, 07:16 AM
We need all our kids to go through something like this when they get out of school to wake them up to the real world, "now get your kids in bootcamp"