PDA

View Full Version : Eagle (globe and anchor) Scout: Grad discovers Marine leadership requires a bit more

thedrifter
03-04-05, 12:45 PM
Eagle (globe and anchor) Scout: Grad discovers Marine leadership requires a bit more than what Boy Scouts taught
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 200534105010
Story by Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Mar. 4, 2005) -- In a family full of Boy Scouts of America, it was hard for Brian W. Gize to stay away from the pack. Afterall, his mother, Carolyn Brandenberger, and father, Bill Gize, were active supporters.

Starting out as a Cub Scout, Gize made his way through the ranks to become an Eagle Scout, which many scouts rarely achieve, said Gize. To earn this coveted spot in the scout hierarchy, he took with him a trait scouts are taught: leadership. With this in mind, Gize got the idea to someday lead Marines. But before Gize could realize this goal, his parents separated and the Phoenix native was without a father figure in the house. Though out of sight, he still had a dad.

"I grew up with my mom and a divorced father," said Gize. "He was very present, so it's not like he deserted me."

Bill always made sure to see his son on weekends and get as involved as the mother did. Bill got his son involved in karate and soccer while Carolyn carried on with scouts as a den mom.

"My mother had the biggest volunteer position as unit commissioner," said Gize. "In the past, she had about seven or eight different events that were her responsibility."

Gize excelled in the scouts and worked hard at attaining badges and billets.

"Going into Boy Scouts, I did everything I could very fast up until the point when I got out ... because it wasn't cool anymore," said Gize.

Gize got to high school, and as a freshman, he realized people looked at him funny in his scout uniform. It was around this time he realized his parents weren't the so-called coolest parents in the world. After that, he found himself pushing away.

"I kind of did the whole reaction to the parents not being cool," said Gize. Because they were so heavily involved with the scouting, people did not recognize Gize as Brian, but instead, they recognized him as "That guy's son," he said.

Gize felt the expectations were like having an older brother who did better than him.

However, even while he was away from the scouts, Gize participated in something similar called Junior Explorers, a group for adolescents and young adults to better understand or prepare for careers in law enforcement. Like the scouts, the organization put him in a position to excel, and in a group ranging from 14-21, 15-year-old Gize found himself ranked as a sergeant, giving orders to much older boys.

Gize's next-door neighbor was also a Boy Scout, except his group strayed from tradition. This was one of the things that caught Gize's eye. The group didn't wear uniforms or sit around campfires. Gize climbed on board.

It was more of just gathering and deciding what to do for the next hour, said Gize.

Coming back into the scouts at 16, earning the title Eagle Scout was not far out of reach. To do it, he had to first complete a community project. His mission was to build metal stairs and donate them to a horse ranch so mentally handicapped children could mount horses. Gize first had to collect donations, find welders, get the supplies and determine a convenient construction time. By demonstrating his leadership and successfully completing the project, it wasn't long before he earned his title as an Eagle Scout.

Scouting and Junior Explorers helped develop Gize's leadership, but its effectiveness seemed to be no match for Marine Corps recruit training. Gize said he knew how to lead, but he found it difficult to lead with the intensity required in Marine recruit training.

"I was a good leader, but I couldn't yell and scream at the recruits the way the drill instructors needed us to," said Gize.

Gize's drill instructor taught him that a commanding presence is a necessary part of being a squad leader or guide.

"If you can't open your mouth to make them move, they will never listen to you," said Sgt. Rafael Trevino, Platoon 2053 drill instructor, Company G.

According to Trevino, with young men from various backgrounds packed into one platoon and with all those personalities mixed, you need to have a man who can open his mouth to make them act. Trevino said he still believes the new private first class can and will lead Marines.

Gize said he is not discouraged because he realizes boot camp is just the beginning and he welcomes the opportunity to lead other young Marines one day.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20053411834/$file/08recruit03_lr.jpg

Pfc. Brian W. Gize, Platoon 2053, Company G, decends from the Reaper Feb. 3, the last leg of the 40-mile, 54-hour hike recruits are required to complete at Edson Range, Camp Pendleton, Calif. Gize formerly spent time hiking and roughing it as an Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts of America. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20053411104/$file/08recruit01_lr.jpg

Pfc. Brian W. Gize, Platoon 2053, Company G, applies a tourniquet to Pfc. Chad E. Johnson, Platoon 2053, during their practical examination Feb. 24. The practical examination is made up of both oral and written examinations that the men are required to pass to graduate boot camp.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Dorian Gardner

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie